IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo Wholesale Parts - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Returning rear disk caliper and upgrading to keyless entry

Discussion and advice for 440, 460, 480 owners.

1986 - 1997 440
1986 - 1997 460
1986 - 1997 480

nash
Year and Model: 440,1993
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
nash

Returning rear disk caliper and upgrading to keyless entry

Post by nash » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Greetings to all of you,I'm new for mattews volvo site.I have bought 1993 440 2.0 GL last year and i want to fix some problems.
1. I want to change rear brake pads but i couldn't return the caliper to fit the new pads,i tried to turn the screw anticlockwise as it says on Hynes manual but it won't move an inch,is there any other way?
2. My car has central lock i wanted to upgrade it to remote and i bought universal keyless entry upgrade,but on the manual it says i have to attach it in the drivers door actuator,when i do that there is no power wire to connect,i gave it power from the radio and it works for all doors except the driver one.Should i connect it to the central lock main brain so i get power ?
and if so where is the central lock in 1993 440 2.0 GL (benzin)?,thanks in advance.

billofdurham
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 855, 1995
billofdurham

Re: Returning rear disk caliper and upgrading to keyless ent

Post by billofdurham » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Welcome to Matthew's Volvo Site.

1. I don't have the Haynes 440 manual but VADIS gives these instructions for that task:
440 Rear brake pads renewal..pdf
If you haven't removed the plug (1) the adjuster won't turn.

2. I don't have wiring diagrams for the 440 but there has to be a live lead into the electric motor on the driver's door or it would not work. The central locking main brain is mounted up behind the dash on the driver's side of the car.

Bill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Work was good - retirement is better.

1996 850GLT 2.5 20v Estate Manual.
1995 Peugeot Boxer 2.5Tdi Autosleeper.
Previously:
1984 244DL, Manual, Beige.
1987 744GLE, Manual, Green.
1991 960 3.0 24v, Auto, Silver.
1994 940T Wentworth, Auto, Blue.

nash
Year and Model: 440,1993
nash

Post by nash » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:53 am

Thanks for the reply billofdurham,yes i had removed the plug(1),and I have inserted a screwdriver between the outer brake pad and the hole in the caliper and lever the caliper outwards to maintain the pressure on the piston. using an allen key inserted through the plug hole in the caliper to turn the automatic adjuster anti clockwise but it couldn't move an inch,i am afraid to use excess force and see the outcome cause i work with the car and i can't take a chance.what do you think the possible reasons that the automatic adjuster is not moving?
2.there are only three wires going to the actuator and none of them trigger the remote key less entry main brain.And even if i gave the power from the radio and connect the 3 wires from the actuator on the driver door to the key less entry(i have tested it and it's negative trigger,one is ground the other 2 are door open and cloth),the remote works for the other doors except the driver door.why is the front door actuator only don't respond?
3.if i have to remove the dashboard to get the central lock i think it will be hard job for me since i have only sundays break from work the whole month until winter.I wish it will be done with out removing the dashboard.Thanks very much again!Any idea please let me know

turbozutek
Year and Model: 1995 850 GLE
turbozutek

Post by turbozutek » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:24 am

You will probably find that the driver's door doesn't have a central locking motor at all.

To save money in the early 400 series, the drivers door was the door that was used to lock and unlock the car; hence there was no need for a motor to be installed into that door at all. You can test this by locking the car from the passengers door and watch every door lock except the driver's.

The three wires you are seeing are probably for the switch to tell the rest of the car to unlock; you'll have a ground, lock and unlock there. You can compare that to any other door, which will probably have more wires to run the motor too.

The problem can be solved (and its how I solved it on my 1991 460 a few years ago) by getting a universal actuator and installing it in the driver's door. It's basically a huge pain in the neck and a really poor design from Volvo.