IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

P1 Dolby Center Speaker Replacement

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

anodyne
Year and Model: 98 V70R AWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
anodyne

Volvo Repair Database P1 Dolby Center Speaker Replacement

Post by anodyne » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Vehicle info: 98 V70 R with SC 900 HU

There is a lot of information about the failure of this speaker but I couldn't find a pic tutorial for replacing it. This is really a simple process, and I probably took more pics than necessary, but I think it will help. It would have helped me.
I'd rather stick to stock configurations when possible, so I purchased a new speaker from OEM Volvo Parts. The worst part of this was paying for a new speaker, but I think the price was fair and it is plug and play. Text will preceed pic, and here goes:

Work the corner of the cover with a tool of some sort. I would recommend doing this when the temp is not cold as the plastic is old and you do have to force it a bit. Lift up. The width of the cover's edge is about as thick as a nickel.

The "posts" that people refer to are directly below the tape. This will help when lifting the cover up and off the speaker. As you can see, they are not located at the corners of the cover.

Cover comes off, this is the underside:

Voila, cover off. Speaker's magnet was intact, but no sound coming out.

Remove the following screws:

1) Corner bolster (don't bother removing the remaining screws that mount the speaker to the mounting bracket as I did, just remove the one in the aluminum support bolster)

2) Rear plate screws, mounted closest to the windshield, two of them:

After rear mount plate screws are removed, lift up on rear plate edge and pull easily toward the windshield just a short distance. There are two tabs that anchor the front of the plate that are easily disengeged, and of course there is a wiring connection that you don't want to damage. Pic below is the plastic tabs or clips

This is the underside of the speaker. Note the connection plug to the left-disconnect and you have removed the speaker:

This is a comparison of the two speakers; the one on the right is the new one, and note its magnet is screwed into the unit. Virtually everything else looked the same.

Assemble in reverse order and you're good to go.
1998 V70 R >267K
2004 XC70 >171K

BEJinFbk
Year and Model: '98 V70 R
United States of America
BEJinFbk

Re: P1 Dolby Center Speaker Replacement

Post by BEJinFbk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:31 am

Nice writeup - Great Pics. And congrats on your old magnet still being attached!
Many of them have snapped off and are rolling around in there. You can see
the torx bolt in the new one - It's there for a very good reason...

The one thing I see that threw me was pulling an extra screw in the
big metal damper. I didn't have to remove it. Just the two that hold
in the entire speaker at the front of the plastic plate.

Thanks for the post - 8) It should sound much better now!
( BTW - I'm snagging some of your pics...Thanks, man. )
'98 V70 R - Well Equipped for Life Up North... ;)

nicopag
Year and Model: v70 2.5T, 1999
nicopag

Post by nicopag » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:12 pm

I think that my car doesnt have that speaker. Can you take a pic of the location and post it?
Do you have the Dolby accesorie? Where this goes? I am interested in buying one of this but I cant find information about.
Thanks
V70 2.5T, L.H.D /S.R, 1999

anodyne
Year and Model: 98 V70R AWD
anodyne

Post by anodyne » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks BEJ, but the pics will cost you in more audiophile expertise down the road 8)

As for the other questions nicopag, if you aren't sure if you have the speaker, then you most likely don't have it. It sits square on top of your center dash. The Dolby processor is used with certain head units (HU) and there is lots of info if you poke around a little bit.
1998 V70 R >267K
2004 XC70 >171K

nicopag
Year and Model: v70 2.5T, 1999
nicopag

Post by nicopag » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:48 pm

anodyne wrote:Thanks BEJ, but the pics will cost you in more audiophile expertise down the road 8)

As for the other questions nicopag, if you aren't sure if you have the speaker, then you most likely don't have it. It sits square on top of your center dash. The Dolby processor is used with certain head units (HU) and there is lots of info if you poke around a little bit.
Great, I havent got iy because I my dash only I have 2 speakers in the corners.
I am in Uruguay and I speak spanish ;(. I was searching for the Dolby processor and I find one in ebay, but I dont know if it´s just buy, plug and play!.
My radio is SC-900. My V70 has 8 speakers, one per door, 2 in the dash (corners) and 2 in the rear door (twitters)
I can see that I have an amplifier behind the passenger seat, but I have switches free, like something is missing.
I searched info of this but I didnt find anything.
Do you have some links for me to look for?

Well, really thanks for your patience. I am enjoying a lot my new V70. I am new in Volvo and I love it.

Thanks
Nico
V70 2.5T, L.H.D /S.R, 1999