IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

VolvoGuard Alarm I System: Siren & backup Battery location?

Discussion and advice for 440, 460, 480 owners.

1986 - 1997 440
1986 - 1997 460
1986 - 1997 480

Medusalith
Year and Model: 440Glt1.7'94/V40 1.6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Medusalith

VolvoGuard Alarm I System: Siren & backup Battery location?

Post by Medusalith » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi everyone!
My 1994 440 Volvo´s alarm system battery died, I need to replace it, but where is its location?
Can anyone help me please?
Huge thanks
Carla

billofdurham
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 855, 1995
billofdurham

Re: VolvoGuard Alarm I System: Siren & backup Battery locati

Post by billofdurham » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:48 pm

The siren is mounted low down on the bulkhead in the engine compartment, known as the firewall in the US. It is on the passenger side on a left hand drive car.

I haven't heard that there is a backup battery in the alarm system and can't find any mention of one in the manuals that I have.

What is the problem with the alarm?

Bill.

Work was good - retirement is better.

1996 850GLT 2.5 20v Estate Manual.
1995 Peugeot Boxer 2.5Tdi Autosleeper.
Previously:
1984 244DL, Manual, Beige.
1987 744GLE, Manual, Green.
1991 960 3.0 24v, Auto, Silver.
1994 940T Wentworth, Auto, Blue.

Medusalith
Medusalith

Post by Medusalith » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi Bill!
I'll try to see if the siren is there, I'm crossing my fingers.

About the support battery, yes there is one in my opinion.
When I bought my car it still carried the original battery, some time after it stopped holding charge enough to start the car, so I replaced it with a new one. However during that operation the siren and the hazard lights went off!! Only shutting up once the brand new one was connected. That's why I assume the alarm system has its own battery, how else would it work without any battery connected?

Early this year the car's battery had to be replaced again. At first I had no clue about what was going on, the alarm would start sounding and the hazard lights flashing without any apparent reason. Until one fine day the alarm system went off again but by the time I got near enough to use the remote fob, the hazard lights stopped flashing and the siren sound was faded to a very low chirp and shut up by itself. The car had no power, the battery was dead and after days charging it held no charge. A new battery was installed, the alarm was fine again.
Now, some months passed by and my issue is that this same battery (which is short from 1 year old) is not holding charge enough to start the car every 2 to 3 weeks, I need to charge it that often.
I know it doesn't drain completely because the radio keeps the code, the clock slows however. I also took the battery to the warehouse I bought it from, they kept it for 3 weeks and returned it to me fully charged and with no faults detected and advised me to see if any lights where on even with all doors locked. Checked it, even took off the trunk and the glove box bulbs out to no avail.

So I guess the alarm battery is the one to blame. It must be dead thus not charging and the alarm system is feeding from the main battery.

Medusalith
Medusalith

Post by Medusalith » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Just googled a post from another volvo forum:
"Been having problems with the poor range of my remote central locking. The LED light on the dash was flashing a fault warning and I have to be right next to the car before the remote fob will unlock/lock the car. I've changed the batteries in the fobs twice with no improvement.
I bit the bullet and took it to my local dealers who plugged it in and discovered the battery was flat in my siren module but no other faults were evident. The dealer told me the battery couldn't be replaced and a new siren would cost around £120+VAT! I phoned Simon at FRF Volvo in Swansea who did a bit of digging and found that actually an alarm siren battery module can be bought for about £45. I bought one and fitted it. To be perfectly honest the most difficult part was actually locating the siren which on my car was under the plastic splashguard on the offside wing just behind the indicator. Next was drilling out the 5 pop rivets which hold the splashguard in place to allow access to the siren. Replacing the battery itself involved undoing two bolts and 4 screws to get inside the module and took approximately two minutes. The LED has stopped flashing and the siren works. Unfortunately the remote control range hasn't improved so I think I need a new receiver module.
The NiCad back-up batteries in the siren have a reported average life of around 8 years."

Lets see where these clues will help solve my issue.

Medusalith
Medusalith

Post by Medusalith » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:17 pm

Alas! I found it! Its part nº 3542743. It's hidden under a plastic protection and about 7 centimeters off the left side windshield washer arm.
Here is the the assembly image I found using the part's number:

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/image ... -68035.jpg

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showA ... ct=1145129

My suspects were correct, it mentions it's chargeable.