IPD sale Volvo Parts

V50 Ignition Switch

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
paul_w
Year and Model: V50 2004

V50 Ignition Switch

Post by paul_w » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:47 am

How do I remove the ignition switch on a V50 (2004 T5 ~60000miles UK)?

I've got as far as removing the panel below it so I could test the wiring to the starter relay (which is fine), but I can't see how the switch is fixed in.
My problem is that the starter doesn't kick in at position III. It works from the relay and I now have a wire from there that I touch in the power socket to start - which is fine as long as the switch is at II and hasn't just been to III - I guess the interlock is still working.
I am worried that the immobiliser might be part of the switch - I can see from the circuit diagram that its power goes through but what else is in there? If I buy a new switch will it need to be programmed to the key? Sometimes I get an info message that says "immobiliser" and "read the handbook" but there's no help there. The LIN bus takes the immobiliser data to the steering lock amongst other things so I guess that wouldn't work if I really had an immobiliser problem. I've been to a volvo dealer to have the diagnostics read when this came up last year but they could only suggest a new battery - which did seem to help until this recent total lack of starting. If I can get the switch out I'd have a go at fixing it - at least temporarily.

So any clue to removing the switch would be most gratefully received. Other help on the site is for a switch on the column which it isn't on the V50.
The wiring diagram I downloaded from you has been a godsend (even if it does say its only for V50 2005+).
Thanks

paul_w
Year and Model: V50 2004

Re: V50 Ignition Switch

Post by paul_w » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:49 am

So I had to answer my own question in the end. I bought a new ignition switch. 120ukp +20% tax +postage ~=$200! Looking at it I was tempted to try my key in it: DO NOT DO THAT! For some dumb reason Volvo decided to keep your key stuck in the switch if it has no power to it. Fortunately I have 2 keys.
Beside the switch is the central dash heater outlet. The 2 vents are prised out from the middle bar and inside are 4 clips on the bottom (and some I ignored on the top) that allow the housing to come out. More access is needed so the dark tunnel around the main instruments comes out with 2 screws in the top and a pair of clips at the bottom - easier with the steering wheel down and out as far as it would go. I had already removed the trim below the switch (behind the infotainment console) so now I could get all around it. Using my torx bit in a ring spanner (very limited access) I could undo the 2 screws holding the switch but it was left stuck in its cavity behind the dash. To shift that, the infotainment centre had to come out. The bottom screws under the power/cigar lighter socket were easy but the top ones were hidden behind the cd slot surround. I tried levering the plastic but feared breaking it so gave up and waited to ask advice. Googling I discovered the answer here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... .pdf&pli=1 . 2 more screws from the trim under the switch (both with blobs of yellow paint on them) and I had enough movement to get the switch free. Transferring the electrics to the new one released the key and I also checked the starter now works - the whole point of the exercise. I had to transfer the fixing lugs from the old switch to the new one. Volvo couldn't afford to include a pair. There are 4 positions to clip them in - I guess some other model must use the same switch - so important to get them in the right places. Fixing it in is another blind job for a torx tool no longer than about 3 inches as you screw back towards yourself.
Reassemble in reverse order :)

ottodsl
Year and Model: 07 S40
United States of America

Re: V50 Ignition Switch

Post by ottodsl » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:05 pm

06 S 40 with a T5 engine manual trans. The dash ignition switch has a problem. I started it as normal & it quit almost immediately and now there is no current anywhere. Key is stuck in the switch but it will move to all but the off position. There is no electrical function anywhere. Can this be a fusable link or a system lock out or just what is going on ? Battery is NOT dead or low. Anybody have any help or clues about what is wrong and how to fix would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks much