IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

97 850 GLT Capabilities

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
Jush
Year and Model: 1997 855 GLT

97 850 GLT Capabilities

Post by Jush »

I just bought myself an 850 GLT in pretty good shape for a good price, I've been browsing around and reading about performance mods for turbo models and such, but I guess what I'm asking is does the 2.4l with the light pressure turbo offer the same sort of opportunities for performance upgrades like an R or Turbo model would? There isn't too much info on here, or anywhere really about the GLT Model.

I know that the displacements are different, and that's about it.. I just mean engine component-wise, does the 2.4 that my 850 has, have the same components/reliability if I was to add a few more pounds of boost to the engine?

I'm not looking to take it to a drag strip or anything, just possibly a bit more, umpf..
donis222
Year and Model: S70 T5 1998

Re: 97 850 GLT Capabilities

Post by donis222 »

The displacement difference is due to thicker cylinder liners in the 2.3. This makes it stronger in order to withstand the higher combustion pressures!
Tread at your own risk.
beigg
Year and Model: 850 97

Post by beigg »

The 2.4 is slightly more temperamental due to higher cr, less material in the block, and different electronics. Still is a stout engine that can take some decent abuse.
Practice good proper maintenance, use reliable parts and fluids/gaskets-seals, dont let performance thoughts over trump reality.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge
Jush
Year and Model: 1997 855 GLT

Post by Jush »

Thanks for the helpful tips, definitely not looking for a race car, maintenance will definitely be well kept.