Login Register

00 V70 Changed seat w/ 98 SRS light on, no connector

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, including 850 R, 850 T-5R, 850 T-5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

chiefpontiac
Year and Model: V70, 2001

00 V70 Changed seat w/ 98 SRS light on, no connector

Post by chiefpontiac »

I have a self induced problem with the SRS light being on. I switched out my driver's side seat yesterday with one that wasn't hammered from 316K miles of driving and also the replacement had heated seats, my 2000 V70 did not originally. The donor seat came out of a 1998 V70 and there were 2 connectors on my wire harness that had no connection on the 1998 seat. I wanted to make sure the seat worked power wise before figuring those out, but now have the light on. One of the sets of wire goes up to the inside of the seat on the side and the other goes to the seatbelt receiver. Any ideas how to resolve this issue? thanks, Rich

burnout8488
Year and Model: 1999 S70 AWD

Post by burnout8488 »

For starters, you'll never be able to reset the light unless you go to the dealer, or invest in some special Volvo reset tools.

You really should have researched this first, it's widely covered on the big 3 Volvo forums.

I believe it's possible to put a resistor in the empty connectors (car side) to trick your car into thinking there is a seatbelt buckle and side airbag present, but don't quote me on that. You'd have to risk paying the dealer to reset the SRS light with the resistors in place, which would certainly be no guarantee of success.

Your best bet is to get a 99-00 seat with the proper seatbelt and airbag connectors. Then get the light reset. The light will never turn off unless it is reset using VIDA/DICE or an expensive scan tool. (Yes, it will remain on even after the proper 99-00 seat is fitted)
'13 BMW X1 35i M-Sport
'99 S70 AWD/FWD - 198K - FOR SALE!

BEJinFbk
Year and Model: '98 V70 R

Post by BEJinFbk »

To clarify, '98 was the last year of mechanically actuated side bags.
For '99-'00, the SIPS system is operated electronically. These are
entirely different systems that are completely incompatible.
'98 V70 R - Well Equipped for Life Up North... ;)

obayha
Year and Model: V70 1999 Base

Post by obayha »

On the opposite side of the coin, I purchased '99 seats for my 98 and need to pull the seats covers off and exchange the bottoms to my '98 bottoms. You might be able to do the same with the ones you have. A little more work, but you should still be able to make the heated seat part work. Grab the hog nose and get to work. Someone used tiewraps to do the same.
1998 V70 T5 331,000 :( Her last day was on 3 cylinders.
New to me 1999 V70 NA 163,000 Now at 217,000
2006 V70 2.5T in driveway (WIFE'S)
1982 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

mikealder
Year and Model: V70 2000

Post by mikealder »

One of the plugs you have in the car that went to the old seat was a two pin green and purple connector, disconnect the car battery and cut the green/ purple plug off, solder a 2,2 Ohm resistor across the two wires, insulate the wire/ resistor and bury it under the carpet, this will sort out half of your SRS issue.
I hope you have the old seat still, if so remove the seatbelt receiver from the old seat and fit it to the new seat replacing the old one. The old seatbelt receiver from the -98 seat used a micro switch for the fasten seatbelt warning, the newer seatbelt receiver from the 99- seat employs an inductive proximity sensor that feeds both the SRS system and the fasten seatbelt warning, the two different types are NOT interchangeable and fitting the wrong one will trigger the SRS caption.

Once you have done both steps above you need to get a computer running VIDA software connected to the cars OBD-II port via a DiCE interface, or visit a main dealer, a generic code reader won't touch the SRS system or reset it.

Fitting 98 or earlier front seats to a 99- car still offers SIPS protection as the side bags are mechanically initiated, fitting post 99 seats to 98 or earlier car leaves you with no SIPS protection as the car isn't equipped to fire the bags in the seat - Mike

chiefpontiac

Post by chiefpontiac »

Mike,
Thanks for the helpful reply. I stared at the seat belt receivers before I put this seat in and thought about swapping them since the 00 wire was only on with tie-wraps and went right to the connector.....should have gone with my gut and done it. The wire on the 98 made me rethink it. oops. I'll give the resistor a shot. And I'm pretty sure I can get access to the correct computer. Appreciate it.

mikealder
Year and Model: V70 2000

Post by mikealder »

When I fitted 850 leather/ Alcantara full electric seats in my MY2000 V70 (phase one) I fitted the 2,2 Ohm ten watt resistors with the cars battery disconnected (Radio Shack should stock these), I was disappointed when I still triggered the SRS caption due to the seat belt receivers, the two different parts look similar but do have different part numbers stamped on to them.
If your seat upgrade has also added electric motored seats you will also need to fit a couple of self resetting circuit breakers in the fuse box let in to the scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen otherwise there won't be power for the seats to move.
If your seat upgrade adds heated seats you need to swap out the panel at the front of the centre consol (the one with the coin holder) for one with a coin holder and two seat heater switches, the wiring for these switches will be fitted to the car, simply adding the switches and making sure fuse 11C/28 is fitted is all you need to do for the seat heaters, there is no relay involved in the front seat heater control circuit - Mike

chiefpontiac

Post by chiefpontiac »

Excellent. Thanks again Mike. I'll stop at Radio Shack tonight to see if they have the 2.2 ohm 10 watt resistors. My buddy thinks his Snap On scanner can reset the SRS once I get the parts in. I did find a used panel with the switches, that was an easy swap as you said. Volvo made the old one with the connectors held in place already which was awesome. The seat heater works now and both seats were motorized, although the 98 one acts a little funky. The back will tilt back, but will not come back forward unless I hold down Memory 3 button which moves the seat fully forward and upright. Not bad if you want to be slammed against the steering wheel!! Rich

Klausc
Year and Model: 1995 855 Turbo

Post by Klausc »

The seat back not moving forward is a switch problem. Just take the switch off the 99 seat and put it on the 98 seat.
Klaus
If I had a larger garage, I could have more Volvos.