IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

What to buy, what to buy...

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.

Mark should pick

Volvo V50
18%
Volvo S40
55%
Subaru WRX Wagon
9%
His Nose
9%
Something Else
9%

Total votes: 11

MJJ
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
MJJ

What to buy, what to buy...

Post by MJJ » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:37 pm

I'm shopping for what the industry seems to be calling an AWD Sport Wagon. Obviously the V50 is a contender! Unfortunately I have also driven the Impreza WRX wagon and it seems to be a toss up as far as liking the vehicles. The Subaru is a tad less expensive, and I have more confidence in its mechanicals (that's a technical term). I find the Volvo is more stylish and a tad more comfortable.

Just to complicate matters, I do like the S40 a whole bunch too.

Now, granted, this IS a volvo forum! I expect most of you to be unashamedly biased! I will take this into consideration! Let's try to be bigger than that!

With that preamble, does anyone care to weigh in with an opinion one way or the other, or to suggest good ideas as a third alternative?

Thanks!

(We are unashamedly biased too, we love our 1999 S70)

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:45 pm

the volvo is going to be more than a tad more comfortable. we've owned a wrx, it's a fun car but it's not even in the same league as a volvo as far as quality and especially comfort.

MJJ
Year and Model:
MJJ

Post by MJJ » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:11 pm

We ended up buying a Forester. :? Ground clearance was the deciding factor. I still like the V50 better but having ripped much plastic off the bottom of our S70 (due to some irresistable urge to take whatever dirt road is available) I knew that something taller was needed.