Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2002 xc70 Rear CV final drive shaft replacement

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Kwelsh
Year and Model: xc70 2002
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Kwelsh

2002 xc70 Rear CV final drive shaft replacement

Post by Kwelsh » Sun May 25, 2014 9:04 am

Can anyone direct me to a post that describes the replacement of the Rear CV final drive shaft. Plenty of good information on the front but none on the rear. I have searched but cant find anything. Do not confuse with the drive shaft. These are the short half shafts from the diff to the Wheels.
Thanks.

Kwelsh
Kwelsh

Re: 2002 xc70 Rear CV final drive shaft replacement

Post by Kwelsh » Mon May 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Update: Decided to go for it and ripped the rear suspension apart until I could swing the wheel assembly out far enough that I could get the drive shaft out of the wheel. Bit of a struggle but I got it done. Then I pulled on the CV shaft assembly sharply a few time to dislodge the spine from the differential. The driveshaft pulled out of the inner CV joint leaving it in place. This is where I understand why people give up on concept of a 4WD XC70 and don't reinstall the shaft. It's not worth the grief. However, there does appear to be just enough room to get a leaver between the CV coupling and the differential casing. I think I can pop it out with a wrecking bar through a slot in the diff casing................?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon May 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Those cases are cast and won't take any kind of point force without crumbling and really making a mess of things. Pry against lumber or something to distribute the load

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

Kwelsh
Kwelsh

Post by Kwelsh » Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am

Wrap up - Job done. Was it difficult...yes, but it just takes a bit of determination. First watch any video on the front drive shaft replacement you can find on Youtube. Now you have a rough Idea of the basics. The rear shaft shaft drops down to get it out. It does NOT pull out. You have to remove a thick fiber plate that covers the Differential. It's only a cover even though it’s held on with 8 big bolts. Remove the muffler tail pipe bolts (12mm) and let the tailpipe sit on the middle hanger. Remove bolts holding the emergency brake lines to the cover (mine both broke out of the plastic, used self taping screws to put it back) Remove the differential protective cover and push the cover down the tail pipe. Don't remove it. Not worth the effort.

Remove the light weight stabilizer arm from the diff to the wheel. I couldn't get it off at the diff end so I tied it up so that the arm is clear of the lower support arm bolt. Undo the lower support arm that attaches to the differential casing. Remove the long bottom bolt and top nut. No need to remove the top bolt just need to pull the bolt back out of the way of the CV joint so you can get it out.

The drive shaft comes out and down in one piece. Disconnect everything on the suspension so that the Wheel can be jacked UP. Take the brake caliper off (the brake line is too short).
Leave the wishbone and spring alone .
Remove the lower tie rod end from the sway bar.
Remove the trailing arm from the body (near rear door side) to the bottom of the wheel. Note this was hard to get out and hard to get back in. the position of the wheel in relation to the arm is imposrtant to reduce the tension on the fitting. Use the Jack on the bottom support arm to find "neutral"

Pull the driveshaft end out to the wheel end (see the front wheel video).

Decision time. I gave the shaft some very sharp pulls thinking it would come out of the diff end and be free before I realized thats not how to get it out. BUT it did pull the CV and spline out of the diff which was a good thing. Leave it and try and get it out later or do what I did. Your choice. I pulled so hard the shaft came out of the CV joint! Which made it easier to get out in my opinion. But I could have damaged the casing doing this. Try a few "soft" pulls first.

With some effort and manoeuvring wiggle the wheel side shaft down past of the remaining suspension parts. The stabilizer arm was the biggest obstacle but it does flex enough to get by. The same going back in. Diff end first. Then make sure the spline is in all the way to the diff. It will seat flush against the casing . Easy to see. Again I just gave it a big bump using the lateral flex in the shaft and CV joints and it went in first time. Have fun putting it all back together! I found that when tightening up all the suspension bolts it help with alignment to jack up the wheel to the position it would be in if the wheel was on the car in a normal operating position. Marking the parts with a center punch before helps Use red tight seal wherever it was used before.

Time? took me at least 8 -10 hours but I didn’t push myself. I spent a lot of time figuring out what to do next. There is NO information on this job on line (there is now) . Haynes books do not cover this year of Volvo. Note : After market shaft cost $265 (CAN) Volvo wanted $700.

volvobrot
Year and Model: 2004 V70 XC
United States of America
volvobrot

Post by volvobrot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am

I'm in the middle of replacing my rear CV axle. I've got the suspension parts removed the way it's described here. I've got the axle detached at the differential and at the wheel hub. I don't know all the names of the parts, so forgive my ignorance, but basically there's a very narrow valley to get the CV joint through, and it looks like it would be very difficult or impossible to remove the large, hefty parts that are creating that valley. So the axle is sitting there and I've been back and forth between trying to figure out and decide if I can remove more parts to create space or if I can somehow maneuver the axle through the space that's there. Any ideas?

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales
jonesg

Post by jonesg » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 pm

You can disconnect the stabilizer bar ( U shaped ) from the rear of the knuckle to gain a bit more access.
I just did my rear wheel bearing, nothing is easy back there.

850Rick
Year and Model: 850, 1996
850Rick

Post by 850Rick » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:28 pm

I took mine off this evening after work. 2007 XC70. I also came into issue with the stuck rear mount. What I found that was truly easy was that once I had all bolts from the front bracket, the center and rear brackets removed, I took a very large ball peen hammer and smacked the end of the driveshaft twice (literally hit the driveshaft as if you're driving a nail into it) and it popped right out of the joint. I was stressing all evening looking at these posts wondering how the heck I would get mine done. That did it and fast.

Mike Langlois
Year and Model: 2002 V70 & V70 XC
United States of America
Mike Langlois

Post by Mike Langlois » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:20 pm

I tried this once on a 2002 V70 X/C, but could not get the axle out. Great write up and information, as I am gearing up to try again, when replacing springs. Just a thought I had after replacing my front drivers shaft and finding it did not want to seat back into the transmission; leave the portion of the CV joint that is in the transmission where it is. I ended up puling off the inner boot (after cleaning and re- assembly), up front, so I could convince the joint to seat into the transmission, with a punch and larger hammer. Everything went well, put the boot back on and works great.
When I do the rear axle, I might disassemble the inner joint and leave the "cup" in the differential, clean and re-boot the axle and "cup, then simply put the joint back together and seal the boot to the "cup" in the differential. This way I do not have to deal with removing the axle and possibly damaging the differential. I stopped trying to remove the axles the first time, because I feared the force I was using might damage the differential.

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 06 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:31 am

Just for clarity, the thread topic is about removing the driveshaft from an AWD P2. It goes from the bevel gear back to the rear diff/AOC. It can be difficult in a good deal of cases.

What Mike is talking about is removing a half shaft (inner) CV joint from the trans. Those go from the trans to the front wheels (hub assemblies, actually). These can also be difficult in many situations.

2001 V70XC 135k
2004 V70 AWD 130k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 150k