IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

05 S80 AC Compressor Clutch Repl

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
ppembe62
Year and Model: S80, 2005
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
ppembe62

05 S80 AC Compressor Clutch Repl

Post by ppembe62 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi, my car was making a growling like noise at startup for last few weeks...but the noise only lasted about 10-20 seconds.

Pulled out of driveway the other day, and within 1 minute loud noise from AC compressor started...popped the hood and saw smoke coming from AC clutch....

Prior to all this, the ac has blown very cold, so I'm pretty sure no leak in ac.

Does anyone have the VADIS write up for removing the AC clutch or any experience? I would like to remove the clutch, check the compressor & if the compressor turns smoothly & freely, try to just replace the clutch.

I am concerned if I need special tools like clutch removal tool, & 2/3 jaw puller....

Thanks very much!!

ppembe62
Year and Model: S80, 2005
ppembe62

Re: 05 S80 AC Compressor Clutch Repl

Post by ppembe62 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Also, some plastic-like stuff melted out of the clutch thru the air gap...got pretty hot I guess...

Bruce Nussman
Year and Model: S80, 2001
Bruce Nussman

Post by Bruce Nussman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Most parts houses like Auto Zone loans special tools. Try You Tube web site, and type in changing A/C clutch on your year and model, and will probably
have a video.

Good luck!

Bruce

ehirsh
Year and Model: 2005 s40
United States of America
ehirsh

Post by ehirsh » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 pm

I have a 2005 S40 T5. I just changed the a/c clutch on it. found a new one on E-Bay for about $65.00 new. Needed an a/c clutch pulling set, I got one from Harbor Freight for cheap for a different car last year, I don't see the same set. I had to make a pin from a long (2") driver bit to put into the bolt hole to get the center piece out. Used a gear puller to get he outside pulley off. Had to unbolt the compressor to get the old wire out and the new one in proper place, but did not have to disconnect the a/c lines and did not open up the system. Removed pass. front wheel, took out fender wall, pretty much had full access. I was slow, wasn't sure what I was looking at, had it apart and back together in a few hours. I could probably do it again in about an hour. Center needed to be shimmed properly. Spec is I think .040"-.060" gap between center hub and pulley. I looked at a bunch of information all over before I started, not sure where I got that. Anyone else, feel free to correct me.