IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2006 XC90 Wet Carpet, my fix, FYI

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
VFLXC90
Year and Model: XC90 V8 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
VFLXC90

2006 XC90 Wet Carpet, my fix, FYI

Post by VFLXC90 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 pm

The XC had wet carpet this summer. I you tubed the sunroof drain fix. The drains were clear?
The carper in the front was soaked. When I ran the A/C the condensation wasn't dripping out under the XC. The drain line was plugged. That was the easy fix. Drying out the carper was the hard part.

Drain Line:
If you look in the area of the gas pedal to the right of it. You can see a small black flex able hose behind the center console trim pane. That's the hose you want to pull out and stick a close hanger through to clean out the clog. The trim panel on the side of the console will pull off. Just grab it in a corner and give it a hard pull. Then work it from left to right pulling. It will come off. Just pull it.
The black hose is then accessible. Above the hose there is a clear white reseverior that the hose connects to. I could see the condensation (water built up ) sitting in the resererior. Do the same with the trim panel to the hose. Pull it out of the reseverior. Then pull it out of the floor. Stick the clothes hanger or something small to free up the clog. Put the hose back on. Putting it into the floor isn't to hard to do. You will have to work the lip back onto its seat. Just take your time. Take a break if you don't succeed. Give it another shot. It might be possible to just pull the hose from the reservoir and do the hanger trick. Might work without pulling at the floor?

Drying the carpet:
It took me about an hour to pull the carpet back and gain access to the soaked foam under the carpet. My drain was clogged most of the summer . The foam insulation was drenched. I took a rope and tied it around the front leading edge of the carpet and the seat back at the head rest to keep it up in the air. I took dozens of towels to soak up the water. A shop vac would be a good investment if you don't have one. I had 2 fans blowing on the foam insulation for 2 days. Drying with towels the puddles of water. By the 3rd day it was dried out. It was a lot of work. I can't image what the dealership would of charged. $1,000 to $1,500?
I learned if the a/c condensation isn't dripping out from underneath the vehicle. Then I will be checking to make sure the drain isn't clogged.
Simple to unclog the line as opposed to drying out the carpet.

I had to separate on the driver side the foam from the hard padding that is under the driver side carpet. I actually had to break/ tear the hard padding so I could pull the carpet up and out of the way. The brake pedal was in the way. Once it was dried out. The carpet, padding went down with no issues. I didn't want to pull the seat etc. It might have been easier?
Good luck.
VFL

08 XC 90 V-8 157,000 Spouse
06 XC 90 V-8 141,000 Daughter
06 XC 90 V-8 234,000 Son
03 V 70 2.5 Non Turbo

embee
Year and Model: 2004 xc90
embee

Re: 2006 XC90 Wet Carpet, my fix, FYI

Post by embee » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:10 pm

pulling the seat is easy, and facilitates the carpet removal for complete cabin drying. 4 bolts underneath the covers. on the passenger side, the radio amp might need to be lifted as well, as i recall the rear of the carpet is tucked under the front edge. and a shop vac is a big help!
i would recommend replacing the sunroof drains, the rubber end junctions (where they go back through the pillar) on my 04 were rotted.

FLXC90
Year and Model: 04 XC90 T6
United States of America
FLXC90

Post by FLXC90 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:01 pm

And don't be cheap! When I checked my drains the first time, someone had replaced the passenger side elbow with a spark plug boot :o

Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma (for sale )
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle ( traded in today)
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module( passed on to son who sold it)

saltedab
Year and Model: 2010, V60
United States of America
saltedab

Post by saltedab » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:22 am

embee wrote:pulling the seat is easy, and facilitates the carpet removal for complete cabin drying. 4 bolts underneath the covers. on the passenger side, the radio amp might need to be lifted as well, as i recall the rear of the carpet is tucked under the front edge. and a shop vac is a big help!
i would recommend replacing the sunroof drains, the rubber end junctions (where they go back through the pillar) on my 04 were rotted.
I would also recommend this.

gobies
Year and Model: 05 XC90 2.5,07 V50T5
United States of America
gobies

Post by gobies » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 am

First time I had wet floor, dealer wanted @$300 to find leaks.
I used insulated single conductor solid wire, twisted a loop at end, to snake down through sunroof drain hoses. Accumulated dust had created adobe walls (apologies to Texas Panhandle) in drain hose. Used adapters to down-size from 4" hose to 2" to 1.25" and then to " computer" vacuum tools to apply full-size shop vacuum suction to sunroof drain holes.
Next time, drain hoses popped off sunroof frame, found wet twigs in headlining. Smeared a bit of Shoe Goop where drain hose slides onto sunroof drains, to keep drain hose attached.

Then there was time we traveled out of state to wedding, gone a week. Before cab to airport arrived, asked daughter to make sure car was locked up. On return, found car was locked, but all windows were open a bit, as was sunroof..Splish, splash, I was taking a bath. Carpet las soaked, squished when I pressed it. Surprised to hear water sloshing under the subfloor! Unbolted amp under passenger seat, used shop vacuum, and crevice tool. Helps if car is on slight incline, nose up. Reach crevice tool back to rear seat support and vacuum water. Shop vacuum will also pull water up from carpet and padding pretty quickly. Pressing bare hose end against carpet gives best suction. Shop vacuum had 6" of water in tub!

To continue drying during the night, placed a few solid objects under carpet to lift it and to let air circulate, placed a portable dehumidifier in rear cargo area, shut rear hatch gently on extension cord. Overnight the dehumidifier pulled another 3-4 pints of water from air in closed car. Next day was sunny and warm, opened everything, placed box fan in cargo area to keep air moving through. Interior dry by afternoon. Placed a pound box of silica gel in subfloor under amplifier. Check it periodically. A/C does good job of dehumidifying interior.
I doubt the weatherstrip that fits around the perimeter of the sunroof glass seals well after 100k. Drive through a car wash to verify.