IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2008 Volvo XC90, 3.2 AWD, Transmission Flush

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
skippyxc90
Year and Model: XC90 3.2 AWD 2008
Has thanked: 0
skippyxc90

Volvo Repair Database 2008 Volvo XC90, 3.2 AWD, Transmission Flush

Post by skippyxc90 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:05 am

I'm about to perform a complete transmission flush. These are the steps that I'm going to follow:

1. Disconnect Negative and Positive terminals of the battery. Remove Air Cleaner Cover. Remove 2 screws for Fresh Air Hose in front plate. Remove Fresh Intake Hose.
Air Cleaner Cover.jpg
Note 1: The left connector of the ECU is secured with a zip tie on the upper cover of the Air Cleaner Houing (ACL). Cut the zip tie.
20141119_104701.jpg
Note 2: The right connector of the ECU is resting on a plastic bracket on the upper cover of the Air Cleaner Houing (ACL). The harness is wrapped with electrical tape. unwind the tape to release.
20141119_104714.jpg
20141119_104919.jpg
2. Remove nut in front left wing. Remove hoseclips for air bellows. Remove connectors to ECM. Remove connectors for the MAF Sensor. Remove Air Cleaner Housing.
ECU Connections.jpg
20141119_110919.jpg
20141119_115550.jpg
20141119_115015.jpg
3. Remove the Filler Plug (Torx 55). Lower a filler nozzle or hose with funnel into the filler hole.
Fill Plug Torx 55.jpg
20141119_111611.jpg
20141119_112757.jpg
20141119_112807.jpg
4. Install the Air Cleaner Housing, MAF and ECU connectors, hoseclips for air bellows, Fresh Intake Hose and Air Cleaner cover.
ECU Connections.jpg
5. Remove the splash guard (6 X 10 MM bolts).
Splash Guard.jpg
6. Remove the Integrated Level Plug (Torx 40).
Integrated Level Plug.jpg
7. Remove the Draining Plug (17 MM Hex). Drain the transmission fluid.
Draining Plug.jpg
8. Install the Draining Plug. Use a new gasket, lubricate it with ATF oil. Tighten to 35 Nm.
Draining Plug.jpg
9. Install Integrated Level Plug, tighten to 8 Nm, reuse o ring, lubricate it with ATF oil.
Tightening torque Specs:
Draining Plug: 35Nm, Filler Plug: 35 Nm, Integrated Level Plug: 8 Nm

10. Remove the oil cooler's return line from the transmission.
Return Line from Transmission.jpg
11. Remove the oil cooler's return line from the oil cooler.
Return Line from Oil Cooler.jpg
12. Install the return line on the oil cooler as shown.
Install Return Line.jpg
13. Install hose on the return line with a hose clamp.
Hose w Clip.jpg
14. Fill with 4 l of oil. Use transmission fluid.

15. Apply the parking brake. Move the gear selector lever to position P. Start and run the engine at idle. Shift through all the positions between P and D on the gear selector. Stop for 2 seconds per position. Switch off when air bubbles are visible in the hose.

16. Fill with 2 liters of oil. Start the engine again and allow it to idle. Switch off when air bubbles are visible in the hose.

17. Fill with 2 liters of oil again. Start the engine and allow it to idle. Switch off when air bubbles are visible in the hose.

18. Install return hose to transmission and oil cooler.

19. Remove the integrated level plug.

20. Top up with oil until it starts to run out of the transmission.

21. Install the level plug, tighten to 8Nm.

22. Check the oil level. Connect Vida/Dice to monitor fluid temp.

Checking the oil level Connect the diagnostic equipment and read the transmission fluid temperature continuously.

23. Connect positive and negative terminals of the battery. Start the engine. Note! Leave the engine running during the entire check. Note! The following measure must be carried out quickly to avoid overheating the fluid. Run through all the positions between P and D on the gear selector. Stop at each position for at least 2 seconds. Perform this process twice

24. Allow the transmission fluid to heat up to 50° C. Note! The fluid will not heat up faster by stalling.

25. Place a lower drip shield on the floor under the vehicle. While the engine is running, remove the integrated level plug (TORX 40). Allow the excess fluid to run out.

26. When the fluid is between 50° C and 60° C, check that the transmission fluid has stopped running out and is only dropping from the level plug hole

27. Fit the integrated level plug (TORX 40). Use a new O-ring. Moisten the new O-ring with transmission fluid and tighten 8Nm.
28. Turn Engine off.

29. Repeat Step 1, 2 and 3 to re install the Filler Plug (Torx 55). Tighten to 35 Nm.

30. Install Splash Guard.
Splash Guard.jpg
Additional References:

http://www.convertunits.com/from/newton ... oot+pounds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author skippyxc90 for the post:
matthew1

skippyxc90
skippyxc90

Re: 2008 Volvo XC90, 3.2 AWD, Transmission Flush

Post by skippyxc90 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:47 pm

Additional References
Transmission Flush.pdf
Oil Level Check.pdf
Picture0002.jpg
Picture00021.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonathanS70
Year and Model: 1999
Been thanked: 0
jonathanS70

Post by jonathanS70 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:23 am

I have a 2008 XC90 3.2 T6. When Since I tow a small trailer and the car has about 100K miles I wanted to make sure the trans fluid was good.. Given that this car does not have a dipstick and the cost to replace the Trans is a lot $$ I was slightly worried about f’ing it up but I am a true DYI’er so I thought I would give it a try. With the right tools it really was not hard; I did it all in less than two hours really taking my time. I didn’t locate all of my tools before I started so I was stopping and looking for tools, rags, and supplies. The fluid I used was Mobil ATF 3309 in the blue quart bottles; I got a case of 12 quarts from Amazon. It was JWS3309 Compliant and I checked in the owner’s manual that said “JWS3309”.. Because there was no way to measure the amount of the fluid in the car, I wanted to make sure that the amount that came out of the trans, went back in. This is why I wanted to collect as much as I could in one barrel. I did not account for volumetric change in the hot fluid coming out vs cold fluid going in.. Remember one small piece of dirt can destroy this transmission so be very clean and carful I used a new funnel.
What I did… Not sure if it’s up to Volvo spec, but like I said this is what “I” did… **Consult authorized Volvo technician before attempting..
1. I found a large plastic barrel like then ones you get filled with Pretzels. Then I filled it with a quart of water at a time marking the amount or quarts like a graduated cylinder, the barrel I had was 7.5 Quarts. I used this method so I was not guessing on how much was coming out, I did not want to worry about (summation of errors) each time fluid was removed if it was not exactly a quart, by the end I knew want came out was what I put back in.
2. I was at the junk yard for another car I own, so I cut off the upper trans line from a S70. I was able to use the junk yard line to connect into my radiator upper trans line without worrying about it falling out. I put a clear plastic tube from the cut off end of the junk yard trans line to the plastic barrel.
3. Run the car and get it warm, the Volvo spec says the trans oil must be at temp, 80C. Mine did not melt the barrel, maybe I did not get it warm enough?? Or the Plastic barrel I used could take 80C. Not sure..
4. I removed the plastic cover on the bottom of the engine; with a small Torx (TX40??) I forget what size removed the drain plug. About one quart came out. reinstall the drain plug, there was a small elastomeric oring on the drain plug so it could be resealed. I did not use a torque wrench; this is a small plug so it does not need to be supper tight.
5. Top side on the car remove the air box two electrical plugs and the MAF plug, be careful of the plastic clips, it is really easy to brake them off if you are not careful.. Next under the airbox to the left is the Torx 55 plug, this is not a T50, it is a T55, your standard Torx kit will most likely not have a T55, since you will need a T55 for the XC90 brake calipers it is something you should have on hand. I needed to use a socket joint because I could not get on the plug straight. Also I needed to tap the end of the socket extension to get the T55 to seat all the way. Once that was seated it took some torque to get that loose. This plug also had an oring seal so it could be resealed if the oring was not damaged.
6. Filled with the same amount that was removed, disconnected the trans upper hose via the green quick disconnect. I installed my junk yard hose with clear plastic hose to the pretzel homemade graduated cylinder. Ran the car until I saw bubbles In “Park”, it was about two quarts removed. Filled with two quarts, and did this over and over until the fluid ran bright red. I used all 12 quarts. I also would move the shifter from P to R-N-D for a few seconds each to make sure all of the fluid was circulated.

skippyxc90
skippyxc90

Post by skippyxc90 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:11 am

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on flushing your transmission. Great write up! You used Mobil ATF 3309, how is the trans adapting to this new fluid? Did you reset the TCM Fluid Counter? Reset TCM Adaption?

I have been doing research and gathering all the tools needed for this project. Those pictures above are actual. I did a dry run how to remove the splash guard, Air cleaner Housing, ECU Connectors and Torx 55 plug. I bought VIDA DICE 2014A to walk me through. It is a must have to calibrate and or reset the TCM.

For the past 3 months, I have been buying stuff for this project
1. Vida Dice 2014A http://www.autonumen.com/goods-287-VOLV ... 2014A.html

2. Volvo OEM transmission fluid (20 liters, yes I prematurely bought this fluid 5 months ago without researching the forums), Snap Locks, O-rings, Gaskets . I also have a case of the Mobil ATF 3309 from Amazon. Right now, since I cant return the overly priced Volvo fluid, Im thinking of using the Mobil first, then flush it again 6 months later with the Volvo fluid. Yikesssssssss! Volvo stuff was expensive!!!!

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/cart.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-55221-Autom ... B00BLKXW9O

3. Oil Drain Pan
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17942-Black ... B000JFHMVQ

4. 2 Funnel (1 for measuring dirty fluid and 1 for clean fluid)
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-1 ... oil+funnel

5. 17 mm Hex
http://www.amazon.com/Titan-15617-Drive ... B004W81LPY

Yes, I have all the torx bits including 40 and 55. I also bought some vinyl hose (3/8 ID) from Home Depot.

You mentioned that you salvaged an old trans cooler line from an S70, thats a good idea. However, I plan to cut my existing cooler line and install an inline filter. So, I will be able to utilize the upper radiator connector to flush out the fluid. I will drain the pan first. Disconnect connector from upper radiator then cut it. Install the inline filter then reconnect the connector upwards and insert a vinyl hose.
http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-3 ... -R038M.htm

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... =9&t=24805

Btw. There is a way to check the level of the fluid. You must have a diagnostic tool (Vida ) to monitor the oil temperature.
oil level check.pdf

xc90skip
Year and Model: Volvo XC90 2008
xc90skip

Post by xc90skip » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:47 pm

After the oil level check I reset the TCM Fluid Counter.

xc90skip
Year and Model: Volvo XC90 2008
xc90skip

Post by xc90skip » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:55 pm

Installed a Magnefine Filter

krassigr
Year and Model: VOLVO S80 and XC90
United States of America
krassigr

Post by krassigr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Wonderful instruction material. Thank you SkippyXc90 and JonathanS70 for taking time to collect and present the material!

krassigr
Year and Model: VOLVO S80 and XC90
United States of America
krassigr

Post by krassigr » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:02 am

I am glad I did change my transmission oil! I had 70K and the oil was dark brown. I would like to post a picture of transmission oil integrated plug. The small T40 screw has O-ring (not visible now) and the 17mm hex has a crush seal aluminum gasket. My suggestion- change both of them.

T5AUS
Year and Model: 08 XC90V8 94 850T5
Australia
T5AUS

Post by T5AUS » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:48 pm

I just need to inspect the current transmission oil level of my 2009 V8 XC90 so wondering if the filler plug is in the same area as on this 3.2 trans or is it a totally different trans set up

Thanks anyone

1994 850 T5
2001 V70 T5 (Sold)
2008 XC90 V8

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:39 pm

T5AUS wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:48 pm
I just need to inspect the current transmission oil level of my 2009 V8 XC90 so wondering if the filler plug is in the same area as on this 3.2 trans or is it a totally different trans set up

Thanks anyone
According to IPD the 08 and 09 all have the same TF-89SC transmission regardless of AWD, FWD, 3.2 or V8.
https://www.ipdusa.com/

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion