IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Let's change the fuel pump on a 2004 XC70

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

bleubistro
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
United States of America
bleubistro

Re: Let's change the fuel pump on a 2004 XC70

Post by bleubistro » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:26 am

Hi goldxc70,

Did you find that the long suction line was loose? Should it be attached to something? I am looking inside my drivers side port and see that mine is not attached to anything. I also posted this question elsewhere in this post, but saw your note so thought to ask you specifically.

Thanks much!
goldxc70 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 pm
My problem is my 2004 acts like it's running out of fuel when the gauge shows about 1/8 full. My guess is that the long suction line to the driver side has either come loose or is damaged or blocked. However, I have ordered a replacement pump just in case. Either way, I'm going to follow your excellent directions to check it out and will report back afterwards. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I followed this write up in preparation for my new fuel pump to arrive. It's very good and makes things almost obvious when you're actually doing the job. When I ordered my pump, I neglected to order the tool so decided to make one myself while waiting for the pump. I used a piece of left over 4" ABS pipe and cut 18 slots into it using a table saw. Then, I put a few holes into it so I can insert a lever. Here's a pic.

IMG-20170418-WA0001 (2).jpeg
**Update

In doing the project, I found that Yes! -- the white suction pickup is supposed to be connected to the bottom of the drivers side cover/level sensor.

bleubistro
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
United States of America
bleubistro

Post by bleubistro » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:28 am

Mcleayrd wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:05 pm
How did I get the electrical connection off of the top of the pump when its still in the car --i have everything exposed and can't seem to find the solution to removal of this part--Just put a new rad in my 2006 XC70 yesterday and have few more projects -the engine is running rough and stalling so time to fix a broken/frayed wire on the top of my pump-- looks like a ground wire -white and heavy and worn thru by rubbing on the top metal cover.
Cheers
Bob
For me, the electrical plug on the top of the fuel pump pulled off fairly easily, directly upward. Sorry if this reply is too late to help you.

goldxc70
Year and Model: XC70 2004
Canada
goldxc70

Post by goldxc70 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm

bleubistro wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:26 am
Hi goldxc70,

Did you find that the long suction line was loose? Should it be attached to something? I am looking inside my drivers side port and see that mine is not attached to anything. I also posted this question elsewhere in this post, but saw your note so thought to ask you specifically.

**Update

In doing the project, I found that Yes! -- the white suction pickup is supposed to be connected to the bottom of the drivers side cover/level sensor.
[/quote]

Sorry about the delay in responding. Yes,the white suction pickup should be held at the bottom of the tank level.