IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

New Koni Sports + IPD Springs. 850. Seeking experience.

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
IG-88A
Year and Model: '94 854T-'95 855GLT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
IG-88A

New Koni Sports + IPD Springs. 850. Seeking experience.

Post by IG-88A » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Hello, all.

I just purchased a new set of Koni Sport adjustable shocks and struts and picked up a set of IPD springs for my 850 turbo. I'm planning on installing these tomorrow. I was looking for anyone who might have dealt with this combination before, and could shed some light on what setting would be a good starting point for the rears, whether or not I should have any issues with stock 16" tire size, or any other tips, tricks, helpful advice. I, for one, was shocked when i didn't even need a compressor to install the springs on the struts. But after a phone call to IPD, they assured me that it was normal. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Juan62
Year and Model: S70 T-5M 1998
United States of America
Juan62

Re: New Koni Sports + IPD Springs. 850. Seeking experience.

Post by Juan62 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:11 am

IG,
I would ask the guys at volvospeed.com, but my experience and issue with Koni FSDs and IPD Sports springs was the lost of comfort (not a good suspension setup). If were me with your setup, I would choose the soft version on all four corners for a couple hundred miles before I'd go mid-to-hard range.
98 S70 T5-M Brick for life

IG-88A
Year and Model: '94 854T-'95 855GLT
United States of America
IG-88A

Post by IG-88A » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:58 am

Thanks, buddy.

northernlights
Year and Model: 850 Turbo 1994
northernlights

Post by northernlights » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:22 pm

I've been using Koni Yellows on the front of my 94 850 Turbo for about 2 years. Here a little information on my experiences.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... p?p=355777

mika
Year and Model: 97 850 NA 98 v70
mika

Post by mika » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:40 am

even full soft is much stiffer than a stock set up.

you definitely sacrifice comfort at less than 30 miles an hour and at stop /go traffic with pot holes.

but once you are on the open road, you will be thankful you made the switch.

just get them installed (one side at a time, easy job even if you have never done susp before), don't worry too much about how it feels initially. takes some time to settle in, +/- 500 miles. will feel much different.

Mine have been on for a year exactly. Looking back in hindsight: run them at full soft if this is your daily driver, unless you will be using your car at the track. How to adjust shock? ( the front shocks are rightly loosy instead of righty tighty), and the rear shocks need to be compressed to open the adjustment valve (I have only done adjustment with shocks off the car for rear).

Another valuable tip is to run your tires at the CARS recommended tire pressure (36psi I believe). When I first installed the konis, I had the front on full soft and the rear on full stiff, with tires at 45psi. It was alarming that I drove like this for a few months (noob). :lol:
'92 945 Turbo, 13lb boost on E85 with 54lb injectors, 230k
'98 V70 N/A 174K , Konis Sport + H&R Blue springs,16 inch Solars
'97 855 N/A

Previous: Honda Fit Sport (RIP), Kymco S200 (missed),
'86 244 DL M46 (restored and traded)

RussB
Year and Model: '00 S70, '04 S60
United States of America
RussB

Post by RussB » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:43 pm

IG-88A wrote:Hello, all.

I just purchased a new set of Koni Sport adjustable shocks and struts and picked up a set of IPD springs for my 850 turbo. I'm planning on installing these tomorrow. I was looking for anyone who might have dealt with this combination before, and could shed some light on what setting would be a good starting point for the rears, whether or not I should have any issues with stock 16" tire size, or any other tips, tricks, helpful advice. I, for one, was shocked when i didn't even need a compressor to install the springs on the struts. But after a phone call to IPD, they assured me that it was normal. Anyway, thanks in advance.

I've been riding on Koni Yellows since 2006. I had them so long they rotted through and leaked, and Koni replaced all 4 last year under warranty!

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with the IPD springs and Koni combination. I am considering those very springs with my S70
'00 S70, '04 S60 and the never ending quest for Stage Zero

mika
Year and Model: 97 850 NA 98 v70
mika

Post by mika » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Just a follow up since my last post; I used the H&R lowering springs all winter (mistake, stiff and hard). In an attempt to address the upcoming winter, I snatched some OEM black springs and swapped them into the Konis. So the car is now on full soft setting, oem springs, and boy, is the ride nice.

Swapping springs was not easy, as the OEM springs were much larger and the spring compressor had to be compressed to its limit. I re-used spring seat (URO with approx 15k mileage, holding up well), and also reused strut bearing plate: they had some play but could not afford to get new ones. if I rebuilt in the future, best prices handsdown are on eEuroparts, our sponsor. I looked into every vendor, and this was by far the cheapest for a quality part.

Looking forward to another winter with the Konis. Yellow paint started to flake off, so a nice coat of polyurethane was also applied.
'92 945 Turbo, 13lb boost on E85 with 54lb injectors, 230k
'98 V70 N/A 174K , Konis Sport + H&R Blue springs,16 inch Solars
'97 855 N/A

Previous: Honda Fit Sport (RIP), Kymco S200 (missed),
'86 244 DL M46 (restored and traded)