IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

(another) I've got about $400 to spend! What to buy?

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
cvergi01
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cvergi01

(another) I've got about $400 to spend! What to buy?

Post by cvergi01 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:17 pm

So I've got this 2000 v70 AWD. My stage 0 is well done, nothing on the car needs attention and its driving me crazy. I find myself waiting for something to go wrong so I can get under the hood and get working! Alas, the car is running like a top, the interior is detailed, and I need something to do. I figured since I don't need to fix anything, maybe I should spend some money to get the go-fast parts. (hopefully with a little more power, something will need fixed). I am not looking to have a racer, but I love spending quality time with my car, and I really love results! So here's the skinny

I have already installed:
16T
ARD TCV
Ard Tune
IPD HD Endlinks
IPD Subframe bushings
LED Interior

And I have just ordered:
IPD Short ram intake
IPD Silver vacuum lines (Preventative maintenance)
Prancing Moose stickers
Rear hatch panel trim kit

My question is this. I have about $400 MAX to spend on something. I just can't decide what? Should it be performance oriented (water injection, snabb intake pipe, custom dual exhaust, R manifold etc...)? or Preventative Maintenance (timing belt, pcv system, projector headlights etc...)? Major preventative stuff has about 30K miles left before its due.

I'm at a loss here. I need something to do with the car. Under $400.
"I'm bored, I'm gonna go work on the car"

"Again?!?"

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: (another) I've got about $400 to spend! What to buy?

Post by matthew1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:37 pm

I'd go with brakes. Big brake kit, or ss lines, or ?... even a flush/pads would be good.

Check if your wheels will allow for 302mm brakes (Big Brakes). Most 16" OEM wheels don't, at least 1990s 16"s.

After all, with all that new forward momentum, you need to step up your deceleration game.

And good job on those mods. :-D
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

RigsPGT
Year and Model: Red 99 S70 T5,
United States of America
RigsPGT

Post by RigsPGT » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:29 pm

Looks--------- get some jewels for $285 (aftermarket) and corner jewels for $140 (oem)
Performance - add another $150 and get a full exhaust
- buy an R manifold for around $150, buy dremel bits and sanding drums and get busy
- aftermarket intercooler? or reverse piping, your call
- KN filter
- performance tires
Maintenance - O2s if not done, saves you for the next time,
- spare oem plugs,
- case of filters and oil
- transmission fluid (you might have the fancy one)
- oem coolant?
Plenty to do with $400 but in my case, I would have loved to have an extra $150 and full exhaust was going to be my go to for performance. I do however have a ported S60R manifold to go along with it :)
99 S70 T5, The Red Devil
Ported 19T and R manifold, 3" DP with Magnaflow race cat, 2.5" cat back, Precision FMIC, Rigs intake pipe, H&Rs, Bilsteins, 302's with Akebonos, Jewels, HIDs, egg crate grille, transmission cooler.

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Good suggestions ^

I put in a MSD ignition - no regrets. It's a fraction of $400, and simple to install.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

cvergi01
United States of America
cvergi01

Post by cvergi01 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:46 pm

I used to have a Honda Accord that I put an MSD 6AL Ignition box and MSD coil in. It had great response to throttle input. I loved it! Alas, this car is "coil on plug" and the aftermarket coils are ridiculously expensive.

I'm kind of thinking that the jewels are the way to go. More of a preventative maintenance in my case. The passengers side headlight seems to have leaked water in at some point and rusted the reflective chrome bits inside. As a result, the headlight is quite a bit more dim than the drivers side. My father always preached to me (regarding tools, but works with darn near anything). "Buy the cheap one, when/if it breaks, replace it with a better one." The headlight here is a prime example. If the stock one isn't putting enough light out, replace it with a better one!

"Again?!?"

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Ah yea, you've got coil packs.
Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Ummm...are you saying your door vinyl isn't bubbled out? Very rare on your year model. If they are detaching from the door, I would pull them off and spend your money at an upholstery shop to get them recovered in some nice fabric and have them put a stitch down the middle of them... if you have a black interior, some dark red or orange thread looks really nice...if sand colored, then there are some other options that give it a nice look as well!! Something I always wanted to do but there are other things in life, if you know what I mean so my doors are all bubbled outward and it really doesn't bother me on my '98 S70 anymore.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

cvergi01
United States of America
cvergi01

Post by cvergi01 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:39 pm

I tried stripping the inserts down and reupholstering them. Got the old foam and glue off, got new high density foam on, and my own vinyl ready to sew, but I suck at sewing and my girlfriend doesn't love me enough to do it for me. luckily however, I am a regular visitor to the local pick n pull! I've found 2 in the last 7 months that were good enough to replace.

The "other things in life" part rings true. I've started my own business detailing cars out of the Volvo! So it is taking a lot of my time and money making the ol girl shine! All the time I've spent here to make her run perfectly, now I get to make her look like she deserves!

I do need new brakes, however. I get that groaning sound under heavy braking. Anybody know of a good brake/rotor kit? Akebono pads I'm guessing, but any rotors in particular?

"Again?!?"