IPD sale Volvo Parts

Classic Hard Start for 2000 S40... Not fixed by classic solution.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.
1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40
kfergiez
Year and Model: 2000

Classic Hard Start for 2000 S40... Not fixed by classic solution.

Post by kfergiez » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:04 pm

I have the classic hard start issue for my 2000 S40, but it is not fixed by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Symptoms are as follows:

1 - When engine is cold, it will crank for upwards of 10 seconds before reluctantly coming to life.
2 - After starting engine runs fantastic. No hesitation or stalling. (See caveat on #3)
3- After driving a couple of blocks, engine will rev up slightly with light or no throttle input... causing sphincter tightening if coming to a stop.
4 - Replaced Idle Air Control Valve a couple of years ago. (I don't think this is the issue since the fix for this was to simply hit the gas a bit)
5 - Replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Had no effect.
6 - Let fuel pump run before cranking (to see if lack of pressure at the rail was an issue)
7 - Spark plugs look great.
8 - Fuel pressure and flow rate are great.
9 - I have a P0118 and P0128. Are these related to issue? I've had these codes for a long while, and this hard start issue appeared out of thin air last week. I'm going to replace the thermostat and Coolant Temp sensor tomorrow.

Any help would be great!

difflock54
Year and Model: V40 Nordic 2002
New Zealand

Re: Classic Hard Start for 2000 S40... Not fixed by classic solution.

Post by difflock54 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Check your IAT sensor. ( inlet air temp sensor )
That effects the fuel mixture and can make cold starting difficult if its not working properly.