IPD sale Volvo Parts

2002 s60 rear sunroof drains

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
drjurman
Year and Model: V70 AWD 1998
United States of America

2002 s60 rear sunroof drains

Post by drjurman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:27 pm

Greetinsgs,
I need some help here. I'm redoing my sons 02 s60. Tore out the killer amplifiers and sub woofers the other son installed. The trunk has room for more than a briefcase now thats another story. The problem is , as I was pulling speaker wires from the trunk to the front doors I noticed the rear mats were soaked. They looked dry but when you pressed on the carpet the water just oozed up. I pulled the rear mat and found them completely full of h2o, drenched. After two days the water is still dripping out of them. I checked for leaks in the flooring and bolt holes all seemed tight, the floor just wet. I checked other sights including this one and concluded the sunroof drains were plugged. I poured some water into the front tracks, it drained out behind the front wheels okay. Jacked the front up to tip the car back, poured some water into the tracks, water came out behind the rear wheels. I figured no problems there. Car is in the garage now so maybe it has to dry out. I went back to work with speakers and wiring, had the seats douwn and then noticed a drip, then another. water was dripping from the C pillar to the seat belts (yes both sides). Pulled the head liner in the rear found the drains and tubes (who's messed up design was this?) blew air thru the tubes, clear, drains, clear. A little more water and it's dripping from the inside of the tracks away from the drains. The glass is out the tracks are clean but the water is running to the inside away from the drains.
I've done the sunroof on my 98 v70 which other than the complexity of removing the headliner was a breeze. A full tray (basically a pan), four welded tubes for drains, something where the water goes where its supposed to.
The S60 track is an unfinished picture frame with the back missing. It just ends in the back. Most of you probably know this already, that's why Im here.
1 : does anyone know how to fix this?
2: does anyone have pictures of the drain assy in the tracks from the roof side? The pictures in the parts manual are useless.
3: can this be fixed without pulling the frame and filling the back with RTV.
I know this was wordy, but I get like this when I cant figure out why something is designed so stupidly.
Any help appreciated
David
[email protected]

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America

Re: 2002 s60 rear sunroof drains

Post by vtl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:43 am

Pull the side support of rear right seat, the tube drain is there. Mine was clogged.

Didn't notice it soon enough, had to replace the mat ($130!) to get rid of stench.

2002 V70 (sold)
2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap...)
2016 XC60

drjurman
Year and Model: V70 AWD 1998
United States of America

Post by drjurman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:00 am

Ive got everything out, I can see the drain, the tube. Those are all clear. Its the water crossing over the track away from the drain thats my concern. A little water and the whole rear of the track over flows. The parts picture dont seem to show a big 45 degree miter at the backs of the tracks. Was there a change somewhere? Anew mat isnt the issue, I dont want to fill it with water again. Does anyone have real pictures of the assembly ? Is this just a lousy design?

div4scpro
Year and Model: 98 V70XC
United States of America

Post by div4scpro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 am

Did you ever find a solution, other than parking nose down on a steep hill, for the incomplete design of the sunroof pan? Just had the same issue from our torrential rain here in Texas.