IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2.4 LPT... wanted: more horsepower

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
beigg
Year and Model: 850 97
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

2.4 LPT... wanted: more horsepower

Post by beigg » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:40 am

This thread is intended for the 850's using an automatic trans with a designated year of 97 equipped with the 2.4LPT. However, it's ok to bring in the 2.3 and comparable systems not equipped with VVT.

The dilemma of where I sit with the 850. Poor fridge on wheels is getting up there in senior citizenship age and technology as well as performance keeps dating it more and more. If I am going to keep the ole faithful a means of transportation, I am left with one area to address in order to keep my interests in the car. That's more torque [tq] and horsepower [hp]. Personally, the tq is fine, hp is where I'd like to grow. Before going for more output, I'd like to receive some credible feedback from those that have pushed the envelope and knows what is realistic and what it took to get there?

As the 850 sits, it might at most be huffing out 200 wheel hp/tq (FWD 2.4LPT) and I'd like to increase the overall hp by 50% (100 hp) dynamically. I've thought about approaching the situation with an on demand type of power but that will not be sustainable and from the sample runs in the past, these bricks just don't benefit much from that method.

Who has the most reliable and powerhouse of a brick? What was done? Lessons learned (do and dont type of things) ? and sources used to go to such achievement?
Still using a stock wiring harness untouched and a ECU with stock parameters (I'd assume not for the ECU) ?
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

Sommerfeldt
Year and Model: 1996 850 T5
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Re: 2.4 LPT... wanted: more horsepower

Post by Sommerfeldt » Thu May 12, 2016 4:56 am

You'll probably get more replies in the 850 forum, but there's lots of stuff you can do.

Lucky at ARD has an LPT project, with a thread somewhere around here - I can't seem to find it right now.
There's also a Fast Friday you should check out - http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... hp?t=51736
Lucky wrote that one too.

- S
'96 855 T5, R bumper and spoiler, Koni Yellows & blue H&R springs all 'round.

beigg
Year and Model: 850 97
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Re: 2.4 LPT... wanted: more horsepower

Post by beigg » Fri May 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Any cam shaft upgrades? Software to tune the stock ecu for the average garage greaser? I thought about swapping in the spare aftermarket turbo on hand, but really, the path i'd like to take is a stout rebuild and just up the factory existing style turbo. Already have a fmic, recent rebuild injectors and 8.8 mag cores with ngk's ad respective gap tightened up.

Will a ported head be worth the time spent? Is this all moot because of a limiting auto trans design?
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge