IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Dead ICM (Radio) replacement / Aux

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
AB Vancouver XC90
Year and Model: 2004 XC90 2.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
AB Vancouver XC90

Dead ICM (Radio) replacement / Aux

Post by AB Vancouver XC90 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:53 pm

The Head Unit (ICM) on our 2004 xc90 recently died, well actually, it comes on briefly then dies - so I was thinking of somehow replacing it. I prefer the stock look so I’d like to leave the non-working ICM in place, but really want an Aux input so I was wondering whether I couldn’t just leave it there, abandon the underseat amp, and put an inexpensive new 4 channel amp with an Aux (& maybe bluetooth) in the centre console box. A small (ie marine?) amp can possibly be found for under $100, and could be connected to the speaker wire harness under the seat.

I have the High Performance 8 speaker audio and I believe one of the two green wiring harnesses connected to it must contain 4 pairs of speaker output wires (which are later bridged to provide 8 speaker sound). My questions are;

1) Has anybody more experienced than I done this before, and is it as straightforward as it sounds?
2) Is it as just a matter of purchasing a matching wiring harness that I can connect to my amp so I can simply unplug the speaker harness from the amp and plug it into my new amp (harness)?
3) Each of the two green harnesses contain more than 8 speaker wires, so does somebody know what the other wires are? or have a wiring diagram for each connector?

Andrew
’04 XC90, 2.5 Vancouver
amp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jamadams
Year and Model: 2004 S60, 2001 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jamadams

Re: Dead ICM (Radio) replacement / Aux

Post by jamadams » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:12 am

Check the V. drop on the Power and Ground connection at the AMP. this is the large Red and Brown wires.
if there is too much V. drop check the inline connector under the passenger seat.
follow this harness back about 6 inches and you will find another inline connector. this is prone to moisture/corrosion due to close contact with floor and the way too common sun-roof drain leaks filling the floor with water.
Remove the passenger seat-remove the carpet/insulation mat. remove the AMP and find the inline connector under the seat.
check for corrosion.
Picture shows an extreme case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.