IPD sale Volvo Parts

2002 V70 transmission leak

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
equiprx
Year and Model: 2002 v70, 24t
United States of America

2002 V70 transmission leak

Post by equiprx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:17 pm

I am having some non critical leaking on my 2002 V70, 2.4t.
The exploded diagram shows a gasket between the case and the steel cover on the front.
Volvo said there is no gasket on my 2002 trans.
Is that correct??? And why is the dipstick located directly below two hot hoses????
That makes hard to see and not possible to check level when the engine is warm.
When I brought it to the local mechanic he wanted approx $600 to repair.
If that was the only issue with the car it might make sense.
Since I don't have any resources I thought I might try it myself.
Two of the Torx fasteners cannot be accessed without removing the trans.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: 2002 V70 transmission leak

Post by abscate » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:29 am

Split from the start stop AW55 transmission thread
1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:48 pm

I assume this is the AW automatic transmission. I assume your leak is from the valve body cover/pan. With these assumptions - It does not run a gasket but uses RTV. You can use a gasket on the transmission from a Nissan Maxima that uses the same transmission model under $10.00 (other cars also use this transmission and use a gasket rather than RTV).

I like the gasket as it is easier to install and if you have an issue easier to clean up the valve body and valve body cover/pan.

Every torx fastener can be removed without removing the transmission. I have done this about five times, never taking out the transmission.

I suggest you do some searching for valve body repair - there are some very good ones with great pictures (maybe even videos). All you are going to do (besides draining the fluid and refilling it) is remove the valve body cover/pan, clean up all the rtv on both sides, and then reinstall. If you use a gasket it will make install pretty easy.

I have never done your repair just to repair a leak, rather I have done it to get to the valve body. You are going to just do the first few steps and last few steps. Back on topic, if I recall the final times I did it I didn't even drain the coolant - I just worked around the hose with different tools. You will have to take off a few items, I don't recall which, but nothing too difficult. Not sure if you have to lower the subframe - it will be in the write ups.

If you do remove everything it is a good time to add new coolant and do a transmission drain and fill rather than reuse your old fluid.

equiprx
United States of America

Post by equiprx » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:44 am

I am afraid that my car is totally different than a lot of 2002, V70, 2.4t.
When I found my parts car for sale, the first thing I checked was that it had a VIN close to mine.
Turns out they were built in different countries.
Even though I have received lot's of advice from forum members, there are too many differences from one car to the other.
The vacuum system of pumps, hoses and check valves are substantially unlike what other owners have.
I only recently noticed my car was built in Belgium.
Anyone got a car built by Flemish elves?

dlundblad
Year and Model: 2002 S60 2.4t
United States of America

Post by dlundblad » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 am

SuperHerman wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:48 pm
I assume this is the AW automatic transmission. I assume your leak is from the valve body cover/pan. With these assumptions - It does not run a gasket but uses RTV. You can use a gasket on the transmission from a Nissan Maxima that uses the same transmission model under $10.00 (other cars also use this transmission and use a gasket rather than RTV).

I like the gasket as it is easier to install and if you have an issue easier to clean up the valve body and valve body cover/pan.

Every torx fastener can be removed without removing the transmission. I have done this about five times, never taking out the transmission.

I suggest you do some searching for valve body repair - there are some very good ones with great pictures (maybe even videos). All you are going to do (besides draining the fluid and refilling it) is remove the valve body cover/pan, clean up all the rtv on both sides, and then reinstall. If you use a gasket it will make install pretty easy.

I have never done your repair just to repair a leak, rather I have done it to get to the valve body. You are going to just do the first few steps and last few steps. Back on topic, if I recall the final times I did it I didn't even drain the coolant - I just worked around the hose with different tools. You will have to take off a few items, I don't recall which, but nothing too difficult. Not sure if you have to lower the subframe - it will be in the write ups.

If you do remove everything it is a good time to add new coolant and do a transmission drain and fill rather than reuse your old fluid.
What Maxima (engine/ year) uses that gasket?

That's just too slick!
Hers: Charcoal 2002 S60 2.4t 178k

equiprx
United States of America

Post by equiprx » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes, it is an AW tranny and I tried to do a dry run on the parts car I have.
I removed both of the under-trays which are missing on the functional car in question.
In order to work in the engine bay I needed to remove the air-filter box and the MAF.
Removed the cooling line from the top of the rad & trans cover, which needed a crows foot and lots of muscle.
All of the torx bolts were incredibly tight and difficult to even see.
The lowest bolt on the outside is about 3/4" from the frame so no way to crack it.
I even tried using the torx bit with a 1/4" GearWrench but it slipped out with no way to apply pressure.
The leak does appear to be coming from the cover and someone smeared a bunch of RTV on it.
Since I'm working on the ground, lowering the subframe is a non-starter.
All of this took a few days and this is just the dry run.
I'm 70+++ and not able to do as much as I used to.
There is no way I'm going to disable my only means of transportation without knowing all the ways I could f***up
I actually worked as a mechanic for a few years and this is more difficult than any Jaguar, Bentley or Rolls was.
One of the local shops wants $600+ to do this job, Not able to do that.

\
SuperHerman wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:48 pm

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Take a look here: http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how- ... -Notes.pdf

This forum has other write ups, but the linked one is very good. Look through it, look at your car and repeat until you are comfortable. After you have a clear vision - take a go at it.

You can get by with a floor jack and block of wood under the transmission if you don't have a support bar. Otherwise, for support bar many use 2x4s and a few ratcheting tie downs. Two 2x4s screwed together, grain running parallel to ground, and then 2x4s used as lifting blocks sitting on frame rail. Adjust height with the tie downs as required. For safety you can also leave a floor jack in a spot that will not get in your way.

I did it on the ground with jacks stands - since you are only lowering part and not removing the subframe it is not difficult. Look through the pictures in the link I sent. First time I did it - time was over 5 hours as I had no real clue. Second time it took less than 2 hours start to finish. You are not going to take out the valve body - just remove cover - clean up the RTV - install gasket and put back together.