IPD sale Volvo Parts

Volvo Synthetic oil campaign 2016 - warranty requirement?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the current (third) generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80.

This is a forum for owners or prospective owners of the third generation V70, second generation S80, and its siblings built on the EUCD platform.
precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia

Re: Volvo Synthetic oil campaign 2016 - warranty requirement?

Post by precopster » Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 am

I'm now imagining skinless chickens in boiling oil running away from the throws of the crankshaft weights. The result of years of conditioning as a child by cartoons..... :D :D

There is no doubt that temperature affects oil flow characteristics; that's why the viscosity used should be changed with region. Cold starts can be aided by 5W30 oil in colder climates. Hot climates need a 10W40 or 10W50 oil to handle the upper temperatures.

It would be really interesting to have oil temperature as a gauge but I really do feel that the cycling of the thermatic fan deals with most engine temperature issues. As coolant is cooled water jackets then cool the block and head and naturally the oil is cooled as a by product of this process.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America

Post by June » Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 pm

precopster wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 am
I'm now imagining skinless chickens in boiling oil running away from the throws of the crankshaft weights. The result of years of conditioning as a child by cartoons..... :D :D

There is no doubt that temperature affects oil flow characteristics; that's why the viscosity used should be changed with region. Cold starts can be aided by 5W30 oil in colder climates. Hot climates need a 10W40 or 10W50 oil to handle the upper temperatures.

It would be really interesting to have oil temperature as a gauge but I really do feel that the cycling of the thermatic fan deals with most engine temperature issues. As coolant is cooled water jackets then cool the block and head and naturally the oil is cooled as a by product of this process.
The fried chicken thought is just what always went through my mind when I drove his car and saw 350 being reached. Just a homemakers point of view. Now I am imagining cartoon chickens bouncing around the oil pan likely screaming!

Keep in mind the corvette was only two or three years old at the time and not many miles, basically a new car. Not a old, wore out engine or any cooling system trouble. After thinking about it the oil temperature ran way hotter in city traffic and cooler on the interstate. I do remember the oil reached 200 degrees rather quickly. I admit I run a car harder than most people. My thought is if the car manufacturer did not intend for the accelerator to hit the floor than it would stop higher.

Personally I really wish my Volvo had a boost gauge as well as oil pressure and amp too. I never quite understood the oil temperature gauge but it sure could not hurt. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:39 pm

People usually grossly overestimate the effect of ambient temp on engines.

Remember, its absolute temperature difference that is important.

Tooling around New England in a civilised 50F or 10C..you might think I am twice as cool as you poor people suffering Florida at 100F - right?

Well, we are twice as cool, but not in temperature

50F is (swagging) about 283K . 100F is 318K. so the temperature difference on absolute scale is about 10%

Checking the math is left to the Covfefe
1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:42 pm

I bet chicken fried in Mobil 1 is finger lickin' good! 350F is too much but is tolerable with synthetic so I guess Chevy knew something was up when they specified synthetics in Vettes of that vintage and newer.

Volvo N and RN ("white" engines) and any other late 90's or newer engine I've been into or read about has shorter coolant jackets around cylinders. The heat is high and allowing more temp into oil will get oil to desired temps of 200-220F quicker.
Hotter but not too hot oil temps are good. Hotter but not too hot coolant temps are the same.
Getting temp up for efficiency and evaporated oil contaminants shedding is good for engines. Something in our core says low temps, and high oil pressures are good. Not true.
Piston spray jets and oil coolers are the way it goes now and engine oil sludging is diminished as a result.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America

Post by June » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Over the last couple of months I've done a great deal of reading about synthetic oils. In the old days synthetic oil was just that, oil that was synthesized in a lab for optimal properties without any of the impurities found in crude oil.

Apparently all the leading oils sold in the USA sold as synthetic has mineral oil from the ground as it's base stock. That's all of them except special brands like Amsoil, Redline, or oils labeled 100% synthetic.

Somehow I didn't get that memo from Castrol about their oil being sold as synthetic is not. The result is varnish in my engine. I am quite upset as I payed all these years extra for a product I didn't get.

My car now is using Redline 5w30. My service advisor had no idea there was things like group 3, 4, and 5 oils and only 4, and 5 are true synthetic oil. I let my advisor get a earful of my dissatisfaction and how many other customers are getting screwed especially with the new engines Volvo says 10,000 miles oil changes are fine.

I wondered why for the last 20 years or so the oil turns dark within 2,000 miles whereas it used to with Mobil 1 stay clear for the whole 3,000 miles and Castrol Synthetic Turns Quicker.

So make a informed decision when picking a oil especially synthetic where you plan on leaving it in for a extended drain interval. Be sure you are buying a true synthetic oil group 4 or 5. You may as well get what you are paying for, not to mention the protection for your engine. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned