IPD sale Volvo Parts

What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Post Reply
User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 34 times
Sweden

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Drove back home from the summer cottage today. About 400 miles or so all in all, mostly at 50-65, AC working hard one way. New mileage record with this car though, 36 mpg according to the dash (which is usually correct on this car, I'll be checking against the refuelling station tomorrow). That's about 5 more than I've been getting recently but in line with what the turbo-less S80 gave me.

Only thing I've done is the PCV. Can that really improve mileage or should I expect everything to go back to normal after my trip computer comes to it's senses?



User avatar
oragex
Posts: 3150
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am
Year and Model: S60 2003
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:
Canada

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by oragex » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm

I think it can, I've also noticed an mpg and power change after replacing mine but of course I may be subjective

But things such as pavement quality and wind can also affect mpg

I also wonder how much the on board computer is accurate, I actually question the accuracy especially in city driving, when after an mpg reset, the computer keeps counting while waiting at a traffic light.


2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 34 times
Sweden

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:59 pm

oragex wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm
I think it can, I've also noticed an mpg and power change after replacing mine but of course I may be subjective

But things such as pavement quality and wind can also affect mpg

I also wonder how much the on board computer is accurate, I actually question the accuracy especially in city driving, when after an mpg reset, the computer keeps counting while waiting at a traffic light.
Not too windy and as always on Swedish country roads rough pavement a lot of the way. A couple miles of winding gravel road at the far end which pushed the average up a bit on the way there.

I've got 40' km worth of fuellings written down to compare to :roll:. Mine is pretty accurate for the kind of driving I do.



scot850
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 73 times
Canada

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by scot850 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Pulled the front 4-C suspension on my son's 06 XC70. That is way worse then the P80's I have worked on. You would have thought that by the time those idiot design engineers got to the P2 they could have designed a way to give access to the front lower control arm bolts without the trans and oil pan getting in the way like on the 4 bolt P80's control arms.

Didn't help that the lower control arm must use a T40 to counter-hold the ball-joint shaft and as it points downward it gets full of salt and crap making it useless to use.

Also the dealer mechanics must have used an HD impact driver on the lower strut bolts to tighten them after doing the spring seats a few years ago. Even with my vast bulk, and an XL long breaker bar I was only able to undo 2 of the 4. My 350 ft/lb electric impact gun I have used on the axle bolts on 850's wouldn't move them. Started to round the nuts. Ended up pulling the full suspension on the RHS as 1 unit and then taking to the bench to clean and separate the lower control arm. Eventually got the LHS split into the 3 main parts (control arm, hub assembly and strut assembly).

Today took all the parts plus the new front springs/4-C struts/spring seats (all OE Volvo) and the other parts to the dealer to get the control arm bushes (Volvo OE bought at the dealer cheaper than from US!) pressed in, ball-joint replaced (not really bad but don't want to do this again anytime soon!) and then the 4-C struts built up. Using all OE parts as even those don't seem to last very long (6 years on the control arm bushes and 30,000 miles).

Now waiting for them to be completed in the next couple of days hopefully so I can re-build and get back to the dealer for a suspension alignment next Tuesday (earliest available time). Then just have the headlight level motor and rear brake re-build to do! Might eventually get to my own cars to work on them!

Neil.


2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 34 times
Sweden

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:44 am

Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:59 pm
oragex wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm
I think it can, I've also noticed an mpg and power change after replacing mine but of course I may be subjective

But things such as pavement quality and wind can also affect mpg

I also wonder how much the on board computer is accurate, I actually question the accuracy especially in city driving, when after an mpg reset, the computer keeps counting while waiting at a traffic light.
Not too windy and as always on Swedish country roads rough pavement a lot of the way. A couple miles of winding gravel road at the far end which pushed the average up a bit on the way there.

I've got 40' km worth of fuellings written down to compare to :roll:. Mine is pretty accurate for the kind of driving I do.
1200 km on German, Swiss and French motorways and its now closer to 30. Going 100 mph where possible and allowed (two or three hours) the rest very varying with some queueing, a detour because the road was closed etc.

And the French really need how to drive. The Italians seem responsible by comparison..



scot850
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 73 times
Canada

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by scot850 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Re-built the front 4-C suspension over the weekend. Almost took as long to route the 4C wiring harnesses from the struts as to re-build it all.

Could not manage to align the strut to hub knuckle to the measurements taken when removed. One side was ok, but the other would not adjust far enough. Will now leave to the dealer to do the suspension alignment as the steering wheel is no longer straight.

Needless to say like all old Volvos I have owned, the minute you fix one thing something else goes wrong. I don't drive the car any longer as it is now our son's car, but backing out the driveway and over the kerb edge there was a knock from the back end.

Drove to the dealer and had the foreman drive it and the first speed bump in the parking lot showed a delayed clunk from the rear. Hoping it is something simple like the battery is loose or a broken muffler mount. But when have I been that lucky!??

Neil.


2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

MDK
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:43 pm
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70
Location: Ohio
Been thanked: 5 times
United States of America

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by MDK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:19 pm

MDK here... well boys and girls. As it turns out. a kid working for a local dealership here in town was cleaning up the body shop. In the back ... tucked away he found an S 60 R bumper cover. The boss said to throw it away and the kid asked if he could have it. They said sure.. take it. It was painted for a car.. never got installed because the insurance company totalled out the R. The kid posted on Craigslist where I saw it for 300$ I went out last night and picked it up and this morning I hung it on my car.... mystic silver. The Volvo dealership wanted a 1000$ plus paint plus the labor to install it.... yeah well ... okay
Attachments
KIMG0500.jpg



User avatar
oragex
Posts: 3150
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am
Year and Model: S60 2003
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:
Canada

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by oragex » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:42 pm

1200 km on German, Swiss and French motorways and its now closer to 30. Going 100 mph where possible and allowed (two or three hours) the rest very varying with some queueing, a detour because the road was closed etc.

And the French really need how to drive. The Italians seem responsible by comparison..

First time I read about Italians driving better than les français. Don't italians stick bumper to bumper on the highways ?

That said, here in North America I feel bad for no having the right to drive faster now and then.... If I remember well, even on the autobahn sections without speed limit, most cars were driving at 140kmh (surely a matter of fuel consumption and safe feeling). Wish we would have such sections too, keeping the car even for a few minutes at 160kmh or 180kmh is quite pleasant.


2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 34 times
Sweden

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:19 pm

oragex wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:42 pm
1200 km on German, Swiss and French motorways and its now closer to 30. Going 100 mph where possible and allowed (two or three hours) the rest very varying with some queueing, a detour because the road was closed etc.

And the French really need how to drive. The Italians seem responsible by comparison..

First time I read about Italians driving better than les français. Don't italians stick bumper to bumper on the highways ?

That said, here in North America I feel bad for no having the right to drive faster now and then.... If I remember well, even on the autobahn sections without speed limit, most cars were driving at 140kmh (surely a matter of fuel consumption and safe feeling). Wish we would have such sections too, keeping the car even for a few minutes at 160kmh or 180kmh is quite pleasant.
IIRC the French were crowned Europe's worst drives recently. Sure the Italians are a bit too "on" but they're more orderly on the motorways while here there was total chaos with cars going every which way. Now I've been driving narrow country roads for a few days and that's fine. I'm much slower than most others here though.. I seem to be the only one who wants to reach my destination.. :-P

While, as a driver, I agree its nice to drive fast sometimes I can also, as someone who works with road safety, see why no one else has it and why it's going away slowly in Germany as well. Accidents just get so much worse at high speeds and the margin of error is very small. Sure a lot of cars don't go faster than the recommended 130kph but there's also a huge speed difference between lorries at 85kph and the people who drive 200+ even in moderate traffic. I only did that at night when it was empty and it was exciting enough..



User avatar
oragex
Posts: 3150
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am
Year and Model: S60 2003
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 54 times
Contact:
Canada

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by oragex » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 am

I remember seeing a car upside down on the Autobahn. Makes one indeed think twice when going faster. Not much to do when loosing control at 200kmh, even at 130 is must be scary.

As for the topic, I went replacing the lower right engine mount (near the crank pulley). This video only shows what the bad mount looks like (read the video description for more details).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuk0_sLbTis


2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles

Post Reply

Return to “Volvo V70 & XC-70 (2001-2007), S60 (2001-2009)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests