IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC90 T6 AWD

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Daveliz99
Year and Model: V70 2001
United States of America
Daveliz99

XC90 T6 AWD

Post by Daveliz99 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am

Hello to all,
I have been reading the forum here for years while i've owned an 01 V70 2.4T. Great site.

I have some questions about an XC90 T6. Fist off I realize the answers to all my questions can be found by searching the forum. However, in this case an opportunity to buy (2) 2003 XC90 T6 AWD has landed in my lap, and i'm having to research quickly. Please help me out.

So, 2 cars for one price. $1000. One is a parts car. The other is a good car, but the transmission is shot. I'm told the parts car was a police impound and has not title but the motor and trans are good, with 76k miles. I'm told. The good car has 136k miles.

I am aware that these vehicles have a terrible reputation for transmission failure. However I think it's the Volvo variant of the GM 4T65E transmission. I'm familiar with those since I used to own a modified grand prix GTP. Has anyone installed the trans go shift kit with any luck extending the life? I Feel like a performance rebuild kit from triple edge performance should solve the issue of the failures. Anyone have experience? What specifically fails on the Volvo version? On grand prix's it's usually the chains breaking or the spines stripping off the clutch hub, and there is a fix for that, and other improvements available during a rebuild. My plan was to take the good one from the parts car and swap it into the other one, along with a filter and new fluid and the trans go shift kit. No rebuild at this point. Thoughts?

Is the awd reliable? Other problems with the car that are not common to a 2.4T?

Thank you to anyone who replies. Again i'm sorry for posting something that I know has been covered probably but I don't have time to read and read right now before someone else buys it.

Thanks again
Dave

traudesa
Year and Model: 2004 XC90 T6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
traudesa

Re: XC90 T6 AWD

Post by traudesa » Mon May 01, 2017 6:09 pm

No experience with the transmission yet *knock on wood*. The Triple Edge kit seems to be the answer, but I don't have any firsthand accounts to base that off of. I haven't found one common cause or symptom of death in what I've read so far; it seems to be a number of things though I'm guessing it boils down to one or two causes.

As far as the AWD goes, it's generally just as reliable as the other XC90s. The others have problems with the angle gear eventually leaking; the T6 has a chain component leading to the angle gear and it tends to leak over time. The Haldex box in the rear can have problems as well, though I don't think it's an extremely common issue.

So, I would plan on resealing the chain drive and replacing the forwardmost CV joint on the driveshaft. The chain drive is especially important to do while you're doing transmission work because the subframe needs to be dropped to access it (pain in the butt otherwise), and allowing the seals to leak could mean chain drive fluid leaking into the transmission (probably bad for the transmission, but not positive).

https://www.fcpeuro.com/blog/posts/how- ... angle-gear
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... ing-grease

Also, it may be on your radar already, but it's worth mentioning the PCV system will likely need to be replaced. Also, if the power steering pump is leaking on the alternator (probably), you'll want to factor both of those in as well. There was plenty more wrong with mine when I got it, but those are the primary model-specific gotchas.

dwmcqueen
United States of America
dwmcqueen

Post by dwmcqueen » Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 am

I may be a good guinea pig here. I have just installed an 'upgraded' transmission rebuilt locally using the performance kit from Triple Edge. Shifting is very smooth so far. This T6 has 180k miles so I will see how long it lasts.

FLXC90
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5
United States of America
FLXC90

Post by FLXC90 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:20 pm

Hey 'Bama; I was watching those on C/L as well. I have an 04 that cost me $4k just after purchase to replace trans. (at 126k miles) I found a service replacement and had the bevel-gear/angle-drive resealed and serviced. If you do, make sure you do the Rear main seal while the engine is out. Three years later, at 180k miles and I get to pull my motor :oops: While I'm in there I'll do PCV, clean throttle body, replace lots of hoses, turbo oil drain seals. I bought it because the timing belt, water pump, pulleys had been changed, but they used an inferior water pump. I think it has a plastic impeller. Will post back soon as I get it done. Oh well, it's paid off now!

Keep in mind the triple-edge kit increases performance and may cure typical loss of third/fourth, but may not last as long overall as factory-built would (kind of a wash because the factory-built had a bad fault, and the car is now almost 15 years old. )

Also, look in the S80 section, someone did a partial rebuild to an S-80 t-6 in the car, repairing the parts that wear/fail in this instance.
I may open my OEM trans to determine feasibility for spare use.

As per your questions, the splines still let go, and yes I would look at swapping with minimal upgrades, adding a magnefine in-line filter and clean fluid.

Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma (finally at the top of the pile )
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle ( traded in )
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module( passed on to son who sold it)

dwmcqueen
United States of America
dwmcqueen

Post by dwmcqueen » Wed May 17, 2017 9:52 am

I am curious about your point on the Triple Edge Performance kit not helping longevity. It has parts that are supposedly more 'robust' than initial parts. Have you heard otherwise?

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 pm

The GM tranny gets a bad rap. As I understand the issue - it is more a radiator problem than a transmission problem. A seal in the radiator where the transmission fluid is warmed from the radiator on the way to the transmission cooler leaks and causes the two different fluids to mix. This ruins the transmission and contaminates all related parts (tranny and cooler). Supposedly updated radiators have cured this problem. I have heard people just replace the seal as preventive maintenance.

Others bypass the radiator and go directly to the cooler and some add a separate cooler all together. So if the tranny is good - also take the radiator and cooler from the donor. Me - I would do this and bypass the radiator.

Sure some of the GM transmissions fail elsewhere, but all transmissions fail.

If you want to rebuild the valve body go ahead - I think you are creating a problem that is not needed. If later the valve body fails - fix it then.

FLXC90
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5
United States of America
FLXC90

Post by FLXC90 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:19 pm

OP-did you get them?

Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma (finally at the top of the pile )
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle ( traded in )
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module( passed on to son who sold it)

Mysticmaestro
Year and Model: 2003 xc90 t6 turbo
United States of America
Mysticmaestro

Post by Mysticmaestro » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Some good info there, but I am trying to get the angle gear and the chain drive out of my 03 xc90 t6, and I am seeing here that the sub frame has to be removed? Is that right? What a pain in the a**. Anybody have another answer on this car? I have it torn down to the chain drive and the drive shaft disconnected etc, but getting the last couple of bolts looks real tough without some disassembly. If the turbo came off easily it looks like I could get the c-drive bolts, but is there even room enough to take it down and out?

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:05 pm

I think it would be a good idea to post your own new thread on this issue with the angle gear. Include some key words in the title.

Anyway, I don't know if you do need to drop the subframe, but here is a video: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc9 ... -t6-76422/