IPD sale Volvo Parts

2006 S60 2.5T Wont Start - No crank.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
virtualking
Year and Model: XC60
United States of America

Re: 2006 S60 2.5T Wont Start - No crank.

Post by virtualking » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:09 am

A whistling sound, especially if it is coming from engine bay, is often a vacuum leak. Any problems with car or CEL or any warning lights on

FREEBUSINESSES
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
United States of America

Post by FREEBUSINESSES » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:17 pm

mrbrian200 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:38 pm
If the halo (transponder antenna) weren't working you'd get a message on the dim saying something to the effect 'start disabled, try again'.

Both of the wires in question, 85 and 86, run to the CEM. One is a 12v feed when the ignition is turned to 'start'-KPIII, the other is a ground connection that grounds back through the CEM instead of directly to the chassis.

So either 12v isn't being supplied 12V when the ignition is turned to start, or the ground side is broken either somewhere the harness or inside the CEM. I do not know which wire is which, but it appears from what you've said so far that you know how to use a voltmeter/test light to figure this one out.

This is on an '06. Sometime mid way through this model year the seal design underneath the cowl (where the windscreen wipers are) was changed to keep water out of the top connectors of the CEM. So.. 'early' '06s have the old cover/seal that allows water to penetrate into the cabin which is known to cause corrosion at the connectors on the CEM. Later MY06's+ have the newer seal design that isn't subject to this. I don't know off hand what the chassis number cutoff for the old designs is. The issue you're having might be in line with corrosion at the CEM connector(s). It could be a break in the harness, or a problem inside the CEM.
If it's a terminal corrosion issue you'll want to get a handle on it/not just try to bypass the CEM to activate the starter relay: eventually more circuits become affected that can render the car inoperable whether the starter cranks or not.
Thanks, yes, I had big issues with my XC90 due to the water in cowel leaking on top of CEM, it was causing so many problems I didn't know where to look, then finally pulled CEM and sure enough, white corrosion at top PC connectors, so cleaned with electronic cleaner and mini brushes getting under relay and IC chips, solved problem, then resealed CEM case, so learned this lesson the hard way, unplug those drain tubes regularity.

I pulled CEM out of S40 and saw no signs of water, no corrosion in connectors, clearned then all just in case with same electronic cleaner. I know connections are an issue coming loose, so double checked them all and metered all fuses and cleaned those connections as well. Paronoid over these bad connection issues, so I am stumped. Changes battery from my XC90 just in case even though battery test indicated no issues, 13VDC and CCA of 480 on CCA 600 battery. Just can't understand what set off steering failure, Pass. supplement and immobiliiser. So steering is a question, it is locked, and key does not release it, everything else looks normal. It happened on a non rainy week, so I saw no sign of moisture, but took the time to clean drain tube anyhow. I am stumped.

Thanks

FREEBUSINESSES
United States of America

Post by FREEBUSINESSES » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:46 am

XC90 will not crank, but doing advanced diagnostics, found something strange. Testing modules and switches, and found that brake switch was not activating, and so looking at brake lights, the regular brake lights come on, but the top brake light does not, so is there something here that would stop crank, as in if rear brake lights were all not working? I am getting yellow triangle light on dash, then turns red, would this stop crank as well?

Trying to narrow issue down not to throw more money at this problem, as in new key, or halo, so do these items cause a no crank scenario? I see no fault codes other than brake switch not activating when regular brakes are, so the question is, what else stops cranking other than immobilizer or starter, so looking for suggestions, thanks a million.

Thanks,

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 am

FREEBUSINESSES wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:46 am
so is there something here that would stop crank, as in if rear brake lights were all not working? I am getting yellow triangle light on dash, then turns red, would this stop crank as well?
As per some previous research on P2s, I'm under the impression that the regular brake lights are activated via a direct wire between the CEM and REM. Aside from a relay, I think it's designed as 'not computer/logic controlled' as a fail safe so that the brake lamps work regardless of other conditions that may exist. However, the center-high brake light is activated via CAN data between the two modules.
Together with the no start condition and red triangle I suspect you have a CAN data network issue. First step on this one would be to try to read the diagnostic codes with a dealer/professional level OBD tool.

FREEBUSINESSES
United States of America

Post by FREEBUSINESSES » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:48 pm

I have been checking everything, still no luck, getting starter fail try again, so is this the indicator for immobilzer, on my S40 I have another issue with immobilizer so the indicator (I) is lite and it too won't crank. So does the 05 XC90 have a different immobilizer idiot light? I put in new halo in XC90, and ignition switch, same issue. As to CEM, I sealed this up myself when I had water corrosion issues last year, cleaned all corrosion which was obvious with electronic spray and small brush, cured the haunted issues I was having, all sorts of crazy dash lights blinking, gas gage not working, wipers randomly on high speed, sun roof would not work, the XC90 was possessed. But I sealed CEM cover so well I cannot get it off. lol I doubt water got into it again, and when I so try to start, I hear a relay click in the CEM, so that would seem normal, anyone know.

Too major issues, the 06 S40 has the steering locked message, so I pulled off module which took forever in hopes the pin was just jammed. No such luck, evidently these cars have this issue and they go bad and go into immobilizer mode, so also a no crank issue. Then I find out the new unit has to be paired to car, so even though I saved a few hundred in labor cutting out bolts to release it, what a hassle, no wonder dealer gets several hundred in labor to remove. For those facing this, use a dremel to cut slots in the round bolt heads, then use screw driver to remove. Mine also had a locking pic, hardened steel, so had to grind that out. Crazy to have his much security, as if anyone could steal this model knowing it took me hours to remove steering module, anyone have this problem before, I have two down cars which won't start.

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70
Wales

Post by jonesg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Read the codes, then you can have an intelligent conversation.
Its nothing obvious now.
Where are you in ny?

Return to “Volvo V70 & XC-70 2001-2007
S60 2001-2009”