Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

TCM Control Module Adaptation - NOT Resetting the Adaptation Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: TCM Control Module Adaptation - NOT Resetting the Adaptation

Post by mrbrian200 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 pm

First I read post #2 it didn't seem to make sense to me: As written, maintaining a specific RPM while the car gains speed and shifts through the gears would be impossible except (maybe) in a car equipped with a CVT.

If you can still edit that, I might recommend clarifying that with your left foot on the brake you press the accelerator to achieve the specific RPM, then release the brake pedal while holding the gas pedal at that exact position as the car gains speed and eventually flashes the triangle.

To keep the accelerator pedal at the same position, employ the 'trim panel assisted roller coaster hypermiling technique' that helps some of us overcome a natural tendency to press the gas pedal to maintain speed uphill over rolling terrain: If you have a trim panel extending to the floor to the right of the gas pedal (most Volvos I've seen do, except maybe a few older models that lacked a center console), move your foot off center to the right on the gas pedal so the side of your foot is leaning against the trim panel (note the bottom of your foot is still pressing the gas pedal). If you have big feet this helps. If you have smaller feet that can't quite span across the open space try wearing clodhoppers for the task.

Edit: if my paragraph #2 is not what you're supposed to do, sound the alarm. If I don't happen to see and edit in time, moderators are encouraged to delete any or all of this reply so as not to confuse anyone else as to the proper procedure.

euhenius
Year and Model: 2007 V50
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
euhenius

Post by euhenius » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Hope the procedure would be the same for all AW55-50/51SN transmissions. I currently have V50 2007 with AW50-50SN and XC70 2005 with AW50-51SN. Planning to try RA + CMA on my V50 first and in case of success will do the same with my XC70.

Btw, according to relearn procedure from Rostra it is required to start with "garage shifts", will do so. Any concerns here?

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 am

I show a little how the relearn procedure works at the end of this video. In short, the transmission needs to light the triangle for each up-shifting and downshifting, so in total it has to learn 8 shifting points. Only, it can take many tries to make it learn one or more of these shifting points. Remember to do this repair ONLY in summer time.

Note that I kept the my original valve body and only did replace the solenoids with new ones. I do not recommend trying to 'refurbish' the old solenoids.

And I have to say that in my case the results are not perfect. The shifts are a little bumpy when cold, but perfect when warmed up with a few exceptions (when I hard brake to a stop on a downhill I get a transmission kick). Either there is some wear in the valve body or the new solenoids did not had the same adjustment as the original ones - Volvo says the original solenoids are adjusted to match each valve body when the car leaves the factory.

These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
matthew1

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

euhenius
Year and Model: 2007 V50
United States of America
euhenius

Post by euhenius » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:42 pm

I tried replacing solenoids with "pre adjusted" ones and can say this is complete BS. So I found a way to service (or refurbish, or clean, etc. whatever you call that) original solenoids without opening them up. It helped, but I guess re-learn is still required.
These users thanked the author euhenius for the post:
matthew1

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 am

euhenius wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:42 pm
I tried replacing solenoids with "pre adjusted" ones and can say this is complete BS. So I found a way to service (or refurbish, or clean, etc. whatever you call that) original solenoids without opening them up. It helped, but I guess re-learn is still required.

The only thing I regret after the solenoid job, is not measuring the adjustment on the old ones and check the one in the new ones. It would have taken 5 minutes. Rostra says they are all adjusted the same, but I have a little doubt.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

Katten
Year and Model: S80 2002
Sweden
Katten

Post by Katten » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 am

Hi guys!
I just spent about 2 hours trying to get this stuff to adapt. My car just barely will shift to 2nd at 1000rpm, no way at all to get it to 3rd. And after a shift or two the rpm drops, then what? Open throttle more? Vida states you should keep throttle steady. Gah, anyone got some advice?