IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Air conditioning problem

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Gtaylor21
Year and Model: 2004 s80

Air conditioning problem

Post by Gtaylor21 »

My 04 s80 air conditioner will work for a few minutes and then blow out warm air. I cut the air conditioner off for a moment and then back on and it's cold again. Any advice on the problem? Thanks
quietlymknnoise67
Year and Model: 2003 C70

Re: Air conditioning problem

Post by quietlymknnoise67 »

Sounds like Gap problem
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

When you say starts blowing warm air, is it warm like outside temp, or feels more like heated air?

If it's just like outside air, look at the compressor pulley, it has a plate on the side (the clutch), see if this plate turns once in a while with the pulley. If it stays off a good minute, the gap may be too large (google up volvo a/c compressor shim)

If the air feels like it's heated, it means the climate unit starts heating the air instead of cooling it so the climate unit may have an issue. It may be a temp sensor problem - it sits near the heating controls behind the small grid, better not touch it, just blow some air through the grill... there may also be a small fan inside that got covered with dust and it's no longer turning.
texastigerr
Year and Model: 2008 S80

Post by texastigerr »

I took our S80 into the dealer to replace the 12Volt adapter in the center console because the fuse kept blowing everytime you plugged in cell phone adapter. Volvo said they had an update for that and replaced it. When we got the car back the AC will now only blow cold air if you set the thermostat on the lowest setting. Once you move it off of there it immediately starts blowing hot air. Not outside air but as if the heat comes on. There were no problems with the AC until getting the car back. My understanding is that they have to remove the entire center console to replace that 12V Socket.

Any ideas on this? I'm taking it back to them tomorrow.
Legofan
Year and Model: 2001 S80 T6

Post by Legofan »

Gtaylor21 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:44 am My 04 S80 air conditioner will work for a few minutes and then blow out warm air. I cut the air conditioner off for a moment and then back on and it's cold again. Any advice on the problem? Thanks
A few wire ties on the compressor will fix this, it's quite common.
Attachments
ziptie.jpg
ziptie.jpg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
2001 S80 T6 Moondust sent to auction for scrap
charleskennedy23
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5

Post by charleskennedy23 »

I did this fix on my Volvo 3 years ago and everything worked great until recently. Now the ac is intermittent while driving. It’ll work for five minutes or so then cut off. Sometimes the compressor will engage if I can make the car do a hard shift but then it goes out again after a minute or 2. Is this a matter of simply replacing the zip ties?
Charles Kennedy
"HAGRID": Black '98 Volvo V70 T5
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Time for a new compressor
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Just look again at the gap, make sure it's the same around the clutch disk. It may have gotten too large again.
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Or just buy a car where this isn't a constant problem like countless other things.
Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5

Post by Cees Klumper »

Rather than zip ties, do the job right and remove a shim or two from behind the plate to get back to specs.