IPD sale Volvo Parts

Are the MVS Forums over-segmented?

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.

Are the MVS Forums over-segmented?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 am

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 4

Kara503
Year and Model: 1996 850 Plat R-Swap
United States of America

Re: Are the MVS Forums over-segmented?

Post by Kara503 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Rattnalle-

I'm glad you brought up vehicle differences. I have noticed that, some of the vehicle specific forums could easily be combined due to their similarities. the vehicle specific forums and then some of the 'general' forums could benefit from being combined.

I wonder if it would be difficult to create combined forums like that, and then implement a more visible 'tag' system? I create my thread about a 1st gen s80 within the s80/v70/s60 forum, but then I tag it with 's80'. This then allows someone to filter that forum by vehicle type?

The other downfall of having so many forums is that it causes the same question to be asked many times because the answer may be in a different board where the board where the question is posted is still applicable, if that makes sense. Information is more spread out than it needs to be and it causes a bit of doubling up or confusion as to where to even start. I know I was very overwhelmed the first time I came to MVS for info, and that was even with finding my way here to a thread with the title that I google searched for. The site needs to be easier and more intuitive to navigate if we want people to use it to its full potential. In my opinion that 'full potential' is a site where all info is easy to find and instead of someone popping in to create the 300th thread on why their car won't start, instead they feel inclined to search, then comment on the end of threads they find to revive them and add more info for people with the same problem in the future.

I think the two classifieds boards could be combined into one, 'mvs networking' and 'events' and 'help a neighbor' could be combined, 'audio' and 'detailing' could be combined into a non mechanical forum, etc etc. It's all about concentrating the visitors that you have to the site so they are more likely to want to interact, rather than visiting only to post their question and then leave. The more visitors you get, the more likely the site is to grow, the more money is made, and the more people keep their clapped out 850s on the road!! People don't feel inclined to participate on a board where it looks like only 2-3 people are posting per day.

Tags:

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America

Post by matthew1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Super input, thanks you two. I'll plan a consolidation of some categories. You make sense.

Help keep MVS on the web -> buy from sponsors.
Also -> Amazon link
Like the high quality content? Thank a moderator.
Help MVS and be an MVS Contributor.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America

Post by matthew1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:02 pm

S80: first generation as it was, second gen now with V70/XC70 P3s.

More changes to come...

Help keep MVS on the web -> buy from sponsors.
Also -> Amazon link
Like the high quality content? Thank a moderator.
Help MVS and be an MVS Contributor.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

Kara503
Year and Model: 1996 850 Plat R-Swap
United States of America

Post by Kara503 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 pm

matthew1 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:02 pm
S80: first generation as it was, second gen now with V70/XC70 P3s.

More changes to come...
Very cool!!! Interested to see what you come up with :)