IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

AW55-50SN woes-easy to repair? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

renns
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Been thanked: 0
Canada
renns

Re: AW55-50SN woes-easy to repair?

Post by renns » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:01 am

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I got about 2500 km (1500 miles) on mine, before it started acting up again. I was hoping for more, but it did buy me enough time to shop for a replacement vehicle.
1994 850 5-speed wagon, retired at 400,000 km
1998 V70 AWD 5-speed, retired at 358,000 km.
2005 XC70 275,000 km - daily driver

evilcowboy420
Year and Model: 08 Pontiac Torrent
United States of America
evilcowboy420

Post by evilcowboy420 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:46 am

renns wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:01 am
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I got about 2500 km (1500 miles) on mine, before it started acting up again. I was hoping for more, but it did buy me enough time to shop for a replacement vehicle.
Thanks mine went into limp mode so I cleared it and it started acting right. I installed the new filter and emptied and filled the fluid again. Hopefully it stays good for a bit, I am thinking when it gets warmer of just installing a used one. I am sort of expecting to have to pull the valve body again and clear it out of any debris from the hole in the filter and clean up the solenoids. With any luck the thing will hold out for me to get stuff done.

evilcowboy420
Year and Model: 08 Pontiac Torrent
United States of America
evilcowboy420

Post by evilcowboy420 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:12 am

update to this epic trash transmission. So I cleared it again and it went into limp again. Then it started delay shifting, and banging into 4th gear. So now I take it the clogged crap from the filter ended up clogging the screens on the solenoids. So I am going to have to take the pan off. I still have my original solenoids and I couldn't find anything wrong with them so I guess I will just switch them out to save time cleaning.

Don't get me wrong. When the transmission works it works well but due to its monumental amount of things that can cause it to slip or bang around makes me feel like it could have been designed better. As a matter of fact filter is an utter failure as far as design goes. I have seen literally zero transmissions that could not be replaced on. Sorry but the best transmission design I have seen is Mercedes, there are simply not that many transmissions you drop the pan on and have access to the filter, solenoids and accumulators. Mercedes does and thats why they make a better transmission than this Japanese POS. I know this paragraph is mostly opinionated but its just my own experience with transmissions.

Back to this one though. I will keep updating with anything else I do to it so folks can build off of it and just know the possibilities of problems the may face when doing this modification and may be able to devise a shorter work around.

Also as a notation, do not put the wrong transmission fluid in this transmission. I am pretty sure I pulled dex III out of mine and it was a face palm moment of the century since I actually learned to read and can clearly see everyone on Earth says to put the 3309 compliant fluid in it. The person before me to drain and fill it had no business touching it if they can't read. Why this upsets me so much is the owners manual was still in the car with a hand written note in it stating the proper fluid for the car.

Hope this thread continues to help people because at the very least the car moves when it was not moving so in my mind that makes it worth the effort because it is acting a lot better than it did. Thanks to all who read and all who contributed to this post as this forum is by far the most helpful one I came across.

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:35 am

AW55-51 in Volvo outlasts Volvo engine IF it sees a fresh fluid every 30-50k and has extra ATF cooler. Heat and dirty ATF is what kills it.
05 XC70 260k, 16 XC60 40k, 19 Tundra 1k

firstv70volvo
Year and Model: V70 T5 2001
United States of America
firstv70volvo

Post by firstv70volvo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:56 pm

Special thanks to Precopster, Cuhfs and many others in this thread for the inspiration to drill a hole in my not so perfect transmission.

My transmission filter was clogged with the pump whining and with me not yet being ready to pull and rebuild the transmission I thought I might use many of the ideas in this thread except for poking holes in the filter mesh. First I wanted to try and clean the filter and if I did decide to rebuild the transmission at a later date I didn't want unfiltered fluid going directly into the pump and valvebody. Valvebody was replaced a few years back and transmission shifted perfectly before filter clogging.

After cleaning the filter I'm very satisfied with the results and I'm confident of getting many additional miles out of the transmission before it needs attention again. Based on the results I will say the filter can be cleaned with very good results. If the transmission is not self destructing (and my trans doesn't appear to be) and putting a lot particles into the fluid I don't expect the filter will clog back up anytime soon.

Attached are my notes and photos of the results.

https://app.box.com/s/ahacprqhk1rkb6klp9nlzt7y0n6eevbb