IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

xiaotec "850 OBD-II" Android app on Google Play for '96-'98 850/S70/etc

How to buy, install and use VIDA, VADIS, DiCE, VMWare and all the questions and answers that come with these tools.
esl_97_850_T5
Year and Model: 1998 S70 GLT
United States of America
esl_97_850_T5

Re: xiaotec "850 OBD-II" Android app on Google Play for '96-'98 850/S70/etc

Post by esl_97_850_T5 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:20 pm

xanthefin,

Re: Esperado's "suggestion for the 850OBDII author" at end of viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92261&p=543962#p543962

From my perspective as both a tester and a user...

1. Since I don't mind too much waiting on the "850 OBD-II" scan, I'd rather to just continue the present paradigm of relying on doing a Scan after you "ClearDTC" or "ClearDTC - M44" or "ClearDTC - COMBI, "ClearDTC - ABS", etc. But add the ability in a section of the Settings screen to enable/disable Scan of each ECU, then to put an "if enabled" envelope around each of the individual ECUs' connect/scanning code in the Scan loop. If I owned only an S70, then I'd disable all the C70 specific ECUs, and "850 OBD-II" app would never again attempt to scan them in the Scan loop. I'd also disable Immobilizer and MSA15.7, and that would be 2 more ECUs that the Scan loop would not scan. If I wanted to I could even temporary disable Power Seat - Left or ECC or even ABS and SRS because I almost never get DTCs from them. I might go several weeks or months like that, then decide to reenable PSL, ECC, ABS, and/or SRS just to make sure they haven't acquired any DTCs unbeknownst to me. That very behavior is how I utilize volvo850diag. Most of the time with volvo850diag, I only scan COMBI, AW50-42, M44 (and usually OBDII). On rare occasions, I'd resort to disabling all ECUs (except COMBI).

I'd prefer that you implement the individual ECU enable/disable flags as semi-permanent changes (so they remain that value upon the next run of "850 OBD-II"), since volvo850diag implements them as session only changes. The semi-permanent approach is more useful in my opinion for users in general.

I'm not sure if this approach would give Esperado what he wants, but it definitely would lessen my unnecessary Scan time.

The big question mark is: Will the simple addition of those "if" clauses to the Scan loop cause the loop's reliability to suffer (because of unexpected timing relationships of when ECUs are connected and disconnected). I, of all people, can understand that you might decide to not implement this "enable/disable individual ECUs" approach for that very "lessened reliability" possibility. That being said, I still request it, and hope the reliability issue will be minimal or none.

2. As far as file naming, I'd like to see the enable/disable toggle for 850log.txt on the Settings screen to become a combo selection with possibilities:

- "No 850log.txt produced" (if that's what the disable flag presently means),
- "Create or append to 850log.txt" (which is what I think the enable flag means),
- "Create 850log_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.txt" (where yyyymmdd_hhmmss represents the time the log is created).

When "Create 850log_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.txt" is selected, I accept responsibility for pruning the directory of log files periodically so the disk doesn't run out of space, ***AND*** I don't have to worry about "850 OBD-II" locking up due to 850log.txt becoming too big (over a period of months/years).

Furthermore, I do *not* want "850 OBD-II" to do *any* automatic cleaning of these logs -- ever.

Again, I'm not sure if the "Create 850log_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.txt" would give Esperado what he wants, but it definitely is what I want, and it eliminates me having to manually perform that renaming almost every single time I perform a Scan.

3. Furthermore, I'd like **all** functions to contain timestamps in their header, and to also include the time (hh:mm:ss) as part of the timestamp, *and* to ideally timestamp in the form of yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss [though that latter request is not anywhere near as important as including the timestamp -- both date and time -- in each function's header, regardless if its in Unix time format vs. the desired yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss format].

esl_97_850_T5

P.S. I decided to post this here in the "850 OBD-II" oriented thread, so that others here can shoot down my requests if those ideas aren't applicable to their use of "850 OBD-II" app.
1998 Volvo S70 GLT - 205.5K miles - S70 & M44 testbed in 2016-2019; traded 2019-07-15 (for spare time)
1997 Volvo 854 T5 - 147K miles - 850 testbed in 2012-2017; junked 2017-09

Esperado
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5 Auto
Portugal
Esperado

Post by Esperado » Sun May 31, 2020 1:16 pm

100% agree.
I should add the option to can open and read an old file with 850OBDII and have-it interpreted. Here is the interest to have each scan in a separate file, like a photography.
I admire your work, Richard. as well as xanthefin one. Hundred of thanks to both of you.
There is something very clever with your interpreter: it is the possibility it offers to you to get statistical results about the values that provide people when they use-it. A way to discover the little secrets that Volvo reserve to the VIDA's private club.

My last suggestion to xanthefin should be to offer the ability to read and execute a TXT file that could contain a list of OBD commands. It should be useful when some want to experiment with various values. Or have a list of functions.

Again, thanks to both of you. (And apologize for my poor English ;-)

esl_97_850_T5
United States of America
esl_97_850_T5

Post by esl_97_850_T5 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:01 am

1. I suspect the #1 most important enhancement request for "850 OBD-II" app is to port the app to iOS (then to maintain it there for at least 1-2 years). All other requests should probably be subjugated to that request, with the exceptions of:
- bug fixes,
- adding (or correcting) more DTC interpretations,
- adding more live data (especially of engine ECUs like M44 and MSA15.7), and
- other useful enhancements that can be done relatively quickly.

However, I'm not a citizen of Apple-dom, so I vote "No" on porting "850 OBD-II" to iOS.

2. Presumably, my "add date/time comment in each function's header" request can be done relatively quickly.
And maybe the "allow log file uniqueness via addition of date/time to filename" enhancement can be done relatively quickly.

I vote "Yes" on those two.

3. The "replay 850log.txt" idea sounds good on the surface, but in my opinion is a can of worms, will be of limited benefit to people in general, will be of close-to-no benefit to me, will cause needless burnout in "850 OBD-II" app's author, and would be better implemented as a "replay standard ELM327 input/output" facility.

I vote a resounding "No" on "replay 850log.txt".
I vote "No opinion" on "replay standard ELM327 input/output" facility.

4. The "read/write file containing list of ELM327, OBDII, and KWPD3B0 commands" can be a useful idea, but only if implemented so that each command can have an optional delay beforehand, and an optional delay afterward, and an optional retry count used when the command fails (in certain ways). From my experience with volvo850diag, and especially from my experience with jonesrh-enhanced freediag, I don't think this will be a relatively quick enhancement. Probably 1-2 man-months should be allocated to get it to work reliably with multiple ELM327-compatible tools, on both 850 and S70/V70, with all ECUs, and with a functional retry mechanism. It's not a quick change. But it **can be** an extremely useful one ***if done right***.

If this is implemented right, I'd suggest raising the price of the app from $2 to as much as $10.

I vote "No" if "read/write file containing list of ELM327, OBDII, and KWPD3B0 commands" is *not* implemented with optional before & after delays.

I vote "Yes (sometime eventually)" if the optional before & after delays are implemented, connections work almost always on the 1st attempt, and the retry mechanism works for both connections and ELM327 / OBDII / KWPD3B0 commands at least as reliably as jonesrh-enhanced freediag (when retries are appropriate).

I vote "Undecided" if the retry mechanism (very similar to jonesrh-enhanced freediag) is not implemented.

esl_97_850_T5
1998 Volvo S70 GLT - 205.5K miles - S70 & M44 testbed in 2016-2019; traded 2019-07-15 (for spare time)

Esperado
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5 Auto
Portugal
Esperado

Post by Esperado » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:34 am

Of course, my suggestion about executing a list of commands from a txt file was under the "Done right" condition ;-)

As I imagine, this file should be a simple list of commands each one on a single line. With, of course, in the program, after sending each instruction, all the conditional functions requested to make sure the car gives a satisfying answer before sending the next one or re-sending the same in case of error.
An other (simpler) option should be to let the user use his brain to decide when to send the next command or retry the same one, depending of the answer. After each line, the answer is displayed, and two options are available: Next & Resend.

Because I'm not a citizen of Apple-dom and its proprietary spirit neither, I have no opinion about the need to see 850OBDII in the Apple App Store.
And, yes, 850OBDII is SO USEFULL, helped-me to save so much money that I would have gladly given 10$ or € to support the work of its author. In fact, as without it it's been a long time since I set my S70 T5 Christine on fire, it is worth, for me, the price of a fire extinguisher ;-)

xanthefin
Year and Model: 1997 850
Finland
xanthefin

Post by xanthefin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 am

I am just updating here where i am going at as sending update here just while writing (finally, wew time flies).
Update: While writing this text my laptop charger was unplugged somehow and Windows decided to do emergency shutdown and put all files in read only mode again. Reminds me to verify my backups are up to date. I am now interested how long my Dell E6320 did run with new battery alone. Update coming as Windows let me. Crap :mrgreen:

I was just finishing update with some features and i as did read again suggestions of being able select ECUs for scanning. Thats done. But one thing i want for later update then.. this of "semi permanent ECU flag" thing as i made it permanent so that if you shut application it will remember selections..

Because there is "Check all" button you can click twice if want reset all. I was thinking if really really want and that my suggestion is not so fun for all i can include in Settings like switch to be semi permanent too easily. Sorry i am curious. :mrgreen:

Why this wasn't already in app was actually that i did try once but failed badly make it work and gave up on idea and wasn't on my top list what to do. But now as done i see point.

iOS version..
Well this needs to have working macOS. Give some blood money for Apple for dev account to sell app.

Code: Select all

“Starting April, 2020, all apps submitted to the App Store will need to be built with Xcode 11. Xcode 11 requires macOS Mojave 10.14.3 or later.”.
BUT I just recently got 2011 Macbook Pro with i7 which is broken as i bought it as challenge to get it working as i have ideas already and kinda know it. At moment i need bypass magsafe 85W question as i have leads to power it but as leads are not from 85W charger motherboard refuses to even say anything. I see as i get it running. I have tried clean my coding so that it would be as easy as possible move to iOS. It has been requested yes multiple times. I hope i get there before Apple requirements gets too high even for that machine as it already needs some mods to get Mojave macOS version.

TXT file renaming
Good idea i try think a best way for app coding making it work well and user friendly.

Replay old TXT files
To be honest it has already (for me just at moment) in one way actually that via Service terminal copy paste answer from txt file to check example situation where is bug.. It is just limited i didn't yet implement it for everyone to use. I leave it for next update if i get in my head how make it easy to use.

Read&Play commands list w/ optional delays
Thats easy. To be honestly just. At least sounds so as my app is very modular.

I hope new update gives more ideas or things to discuss too.

Sorry as not all got yet done. I hope i didn't forgot anything easy and critical. :oops:

To raise price of app.. i have honestly heard many friends or coworkers to suggest that.. but i set the price already so i am not yet feeling reasons do that. I felt pissed myself when one app which i had paid asked suddenly money to move new subscription based app of same app and made old one "not working" via update. But thanks all! As they say what you would yourself pay.. I have tight budget so i know that.. this already helps much even when Google takes almost half but i hope it is more in return always.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:11 pm

xanthefin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 am
BUT I just recently got 2011 Macbook Pro with i7 which is broken as i bought it as challenge to get it working as i have ideas already and kinda know it. At moment i need bypass magsafe 85W question as i have leads to power it but as leads are not from 85W charger motherboard refuses to even say anything. I see as i get it running. I have tried clean my coding so that it would be as easy as possible move to iOS. It has been requested yes multiple times. I hope i get there before Apple requirements gets too high even for that machine as it already needs some mods to get Mojave macOS version.
I have on my desk a 45 or 60 watt charger, Magsafe.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/M ... lsrc=aw.ds

According to this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700#magsafe it should work with your 2011. Please check.

I'll send it to you. Send me your address, if you're in the US. [email protected].
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

esl_97_850_T5
United States of America
esl_97_850_T5

Post by esl_97_850_T5 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:44 pm

He is in Finland (last I heard).

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 pm

esl_97_850_T5 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:44 pm
He is in Finland (last I heard).
The info page in the app still says "Made in Finland".
His website domain is .fi = Finland.

He has a Bluetooth ELM357 adapter on his website for 10.00€ . Probably the one he develops the app with. Would think it work real good with the app.
--------
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, B8444S TF80 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger. V8 conversion in progress.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Darn distance. :evil:

D=R*T
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

xanthefin
Year and Model: 1997 850
Finland
xanthefin

Post by xanthefin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:37 am

Thanks i appreciate :)

It requires to be 85W as it has no battery too.
I have magsafe leads with unknown wattage and led turn green yes when plugged but motherboard denies to let it have power if it is not full rating charger when no battery (for macbook pro's).

It is some logic coded security thing when it checks before led comes on after plugging the charger (thats why there is delay for led turning on). Magsafe tip where led is has little 1 wire interface IC with serial, wattage etc...

I have plans to use arduino bypass that wattage limit and i know how to fake it. It is 1 wire communication and very very basic. Let see as i have time.

Now send update finally and should be seen soon.