Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

850 Sway bar bushing replacement

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

kaneelschep
Year and Model: '96 850 2liter t5

850 Sway bar bushing replacement

Post by kaneelschep »

As the title sais.. Did anyone ever do this?
I can find some topics where people talk about it, but noone actualy got around to doing it.
Also I read somewhere the sway bar needs changing anyway when the rubbers need go.

The major volvo specific parts store in Holland sells pu bushings and brackets for 45 euro.
I am thinking of getting them.

So is it a good idea? Or only go with complete sway bar?
scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R

Re: 850 Sway bar bushing replacement

Post by scot850 »

The sway-bar bushes on Volvo P80's are bonded to the bar or 'vulcanised'. Over the years the bond breaks down and the bush detaches from the bar itself. This leads to rapid wear of the bush and less 'stiffness' from the anti-sway bar. This also usually comes with a knocking noise similar to a bad end-link under your feet.

To replace the whole bar requires dropping the rear of the sub-frame. I was able to manage to do this without doing that on a PnP car as someone had already removed the steering rack otherwise it would not come out. Someone may want to come in on this that has actually done it to confirm. I now it can't be done on an AWD for sure without dropping the sub-frame.

I don't know how well the aftermarket replacement bushes will work. Are they rubber or poly-bushes? The anti-sway bars from IPD use poly-bushes and you can buy then in different diameters to fit different anti-sway bar diameters. Volvo used 3 different ones if I recall correctly. I am trying to remember the name of the company I bought a poly-bush set from for the IPD bar that used to be in my car. They supplied replacement brackets to fit the Volvo. I think Volvo used to sell a kit for the bushes but I know they didn't last long.

You can replace the bushes without dropping the sub-frame if you use regular ring ended wrenches on the rear bolt. I was able to use a ratchet wrench on the front bolt, but be careful not to damage the steering rack gaiter.

You can't torque the rear bolt to the correct value, but just good and tight, the fron you should be able to get a torque wrench too.

With the poly-bushes you will probably have to use an marine grease/aqua-lube to stop the groaning. The advantage of the poly-bush kit I bought was they had grease nipples on them to allow for regular lubing without having to keep removing the bolts and brackets.

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold
kaneelschep

Post by kaneelschep »

That it can be done without dropping the subframe is good news! I wasnt really looking forward to that. ;)
I have the knocking from the front end but the endlinks are new, so thought it must be the sway bar rubbers.
And since a few months the car feels really loose and quite all over the road. My wife even noticed it.. Wich is always a good benchmark, I think.
Also the allignment is terrible even though it was recently set.
The right side rubber looks bad. The left is less rotten, but also falling apart. They look like either someone 'glued' some rubber on it, or the bushings themself are coming apart.

Ah sorry. I said pu. Thats how we call polyurethane. So yes, they are poly and come with brackets and are availlable in 20, 21 and 21,5 mm. So three sizes like you said.
I added some pictures of the set.
poly bushing2.jpg
poly bushing2.jpg (64.82 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
poly bushing1.jpg
poly bushing1.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
tryingbe
Year and Model: None

Post by tryingbe »

I replaced my bushings, since I had the subframe out.

85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg
scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R

Post by scot850 »

I'm not convinced a worn anti-sway bar would be the cause of alignment issues and weird handling you are talking about. It may be as tryingbe suggests and it could be the sub-frame bushes. Alignment issues are usually steering end-links and lower control arms bushes and ball-joints. You may have 2 different issues going on I would suggest.

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold
kaneelschep

Post by kaneelschep »

left lower arm inc. ball joint is basicly new. Right one is still good. No play. sway bar end links are new. Steering end links look good, have no movement and are only 2 year old. spring seats have been done last year.

I had a fast opel kadett once. And the control arms rusted off of the bottom one by one. That gave the same wooly feeling. Until I had to steer full left when pushing the gas and full right when braking :D Welded them to the bottom again and drove that sucker fast again till I smacked it in a honda. Got it straightened, and drove it even faster for more years. Very unsafe.. But young and stupid go together like a... :D

So subframe movement on the volvo sounds quite logical now you say it... ;) Didnt really think about those yet.
it now has 340000km on it and most parts I changed were all still original. So I am guessing these are too..
Will look at them one of these days!
tryingbe
Year and Model: None

Post by tryingbe »

scot850 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 pm I'm not convinced a worn anti-sway bar would be the cause of alignment issues and weird handling
I would agree. You can disconnect the entire sway bar and it won't affect alignment.
85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg
kaneelschep

Post by kaneelschep »

I checked parts stores and some youtube movies a bit. Just for sake of arguement. What about just changing the inserts with the poly versions? I read somewhere that should make old bushings like new. Seems like a bold statement though :)
Chuck W
Year and Model: 97 854 T5

Post by Chuck W »

I replaced the bushings on my R front bar when I installed it on my '96 GLT. They were just some Energy Suspension pieces.

Took the old bushes off the bar, cleaned up any leftover bushing residue off, and installed the new bushings.

I already had the subframe out, as I was replacing the clutch in the car, when I did mine.
'97 854 T5 - Manual Swap, M4.4,COP, P2R Brakes, 16T, chassis bracing, XC70 nose swap
'97 855 GLT - Hers. RN swap/16T/exhaust/302s/Flashable M4.4, chassis bracing, 2 kid seats
'78 GLE - Waiting in the wings. Future whiteblock/T5 swap.
subzerocarfanatic
Year and Model: 2000 Volvo C70 HT

Post by subzerocarfanatic »

So is this the only options for the C70 (Poly Bushings) I want to stick with OEM style rubber bushing but not replacing the entire sway bar, why is this common practice, throwing away an entire part when just a bushing is needed.