IPD sale Volvo Parts

2011 XC 70 Door lock Actuator

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the current (third) generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80.

This is a forum for owners or prospective owners of the third generation V70, second generation S80, and its siblings built on the EUCD platform.
davewave365
Year and Model: 2011 XC70
United States of America

2011 XC 70 Door lock Actuator

Post by davewave365 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:15 pm

I have a 2011 XC 70 with an intermittent failure to lock of the drivers side front door.

Looking in VADIS, it involves removing the window glass, exterior door handle, and about everything in the door.

Some of the earlier Volvos seem to be a simple as pulling the interior panel and swapping the part.

Can anybody who has changed this part on a P3 comment what is actually involved?

Thanks,

-Dave

Cubbington
Year and Model: 2011
Great Britain

Re: 2011 XC 70 Door lock Actuator

Post by Cubbington » Fri May 04, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi Dave,

I did this a few weeks ago, and it’s quite easy, if not a little time consuming.

The door card is easy to remove, as it’s only two bolts and a load of clips that hold it on. You need to pop the tweeter cover off first to allow the card to slide up.

The window does need to be removed, which again is quite easy; you’ll need to have the door card removed, but the control panel plugged in, so you can roll it down about halfway. There are two big rubber bungs on the inner metal panel; pop those open and roll the window down until you see the bolts clamping the window to the mech. Loosen them (but don’t undo fully) and you’ll be able to wiggle the window glass out, rear upward and out first. I took the opportunity to clean 7 years worth of crud off the base and front & rear edges at the same time...it now moves more freely and quietly!

Now remove all the bolts that hold the inner panel and the lock in place, as it comes out as one piece. You’ll also see a plastic plug above the lock striker, pop this off to reveal a torx/Allen bolt which you need to loosen to remove the door handle and key lock assembly. Be careful to unclip the wiring loom from the door near the speaker, and be gently when wiggling the whole thing out...I managed to wreck the inner door wiring loom, strip some of the insulation off, and break a couple of wires (which weren’t visible) by it catching against the inner door frame needing it to be replaced too...

I think that’s pretty much it from memory!

Just take your time and be methodical. Putting it back together is easy, but don’t forget to reconnect everything (multiple electronic connectors, and lock cables!) and it’s also possible to disconnect the lock button from the assembly if you mess about with the door card too much, meaning that you need to take it all apart again... Finally before putting the door card back on, check the operation of the window, as you’ll have put it back in a slightly different position and may need a little adjustment before it’s right. My passenger window was stiff and would regularly hit a certain point, think something was trapped and ‘safety pinch’ roll back down; finding how it was fitted when I had the driver’s door apart enabled me to cure this!

If you’re replacing the original lock, you’ll probably find that the new version looks slightly different, with more water protection. The new one I bought had a foam gasket around the striker bolt area and a big rubber boot all around it.

Sorry I didn’t take any pics when I did it, and I may have missed a couple of bits, but hopefully this will help.

Cheers,

Nick

artur2000
Year and Model: 2015 XC70 AWD
Poland

Re: 2011 XC 70 Door lock Actuator

Post by artur2000 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Cubbington wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:30 pm
The window does need to be removed, which again is quite easy; you’ll need to have the door card removed, but the control panel plugged in, so you can roll it down about halfway. There are two big rubber bungs on the inner metal panel; pop those open and roll the window down until you see the bolts clamping the window to the mech. Loosen them (but don’t undo fully) and you’ll be able to wiggle the window glass out, rear upward and out first.
Hi Nick,

did you ever do the same procedure on the rear door? I tried it yestarday on a 2015 XC70 and the window is fastened to the lift mechanism differently.
There are no bolts which can be loosened to free the window glass.
Only in one of the two service holes you can see some white plastic parts attached to the front edge of the glass.
I could not figure out how to dettach it from the glass through this service hole.

Do you have any idea or know of any tutorial for the rear door?

Artur