IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Looking to move from P2 to P3

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

Brandon_K
Year and Model: 2003 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Sweden
Brandon_K

Looking to move from P2 to P3

Post by Brandon_K » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:31 pm

Hey guys.

I've had a 03 XC70 for a year now, primarily as a winter vehicle and I promptly fell in love with it when I got it.

However, it's a high mileage car, currently just under 166k. It has AWD issues right now that I'm working through, one rear spring is broken, front end has some clunks that I can't find (replaced strut bearings, strut isolators were fine, new ball joints, etc), tailgate has issues latching, etc.

This was only ever supposed to be a utility / winter vehicle, but as I've fallen in love with it, I'm seriously considering a P3.

Things I know;

I want a T6
2012 has the newer dash with the nicer gauge package

I drive at night nearly exclusively and usually 3 hours at a shot. I want the HID headlights. Were they standard in any of the packages or am I best just checking out every T6 that I come across?

Really I'm just looking for some guidance here to learn the in's and out's of the P3. Anything specific I should look for?

moussey
Year and Model: 2003 v70
Been thanked: 0
moussey

Re: Looking to move from P2 to P3

Post by moussey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:02 am

Hello, I'd like to add to this thread.

I have had an 03 V70 for 7 years and its been very reliable and a great car. It was my 5th Volvo and has 125k miles so I expected it to go for a few more years like the ones before.

With much appreciated help from this forum I've done the PCV clean which was a real pain, changed the A/c bearing, cured a sticky caliper and apart from that its been perfect. Then the DIM started to die intermittently and finally died alltogether, and some real A*****E ran into it. Getting the DIM reworked on a car this old and with a ding looks uneconomic but i might try waving a hot air gun at it.

So..... net is I am looking for a P3 but wanted to ask the folks here about any known issues?

Looking at the forum it seems on a P3 that the DIM problem still exists but is a lot rarer? and the PCV issues seem to have gone away?

Is that fair? is there anything else?

I will probably go for a 09 or 10, with say 120k max, and diesel since they are mostly diesel.

pgill
Year and Model: 2010 S80, 2008 LR2
United States of America
pgill

Post by pgill » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 am

Brandon_K wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:31 pm
I want a T6
2012 has the newer dash with the nicer gauge package

I drive at night nearly exclusively and usually 3 hours at a shot. I want the HID headlights. Were they standard in any of the packages or am I best just checking out every T6 that I come across?
It looks like the Xenon HID lights are not part of any package for 2012
2012 VOLVO XC70 Brochure.pdf
(2.58 MiB) Downloaded 20 times

As for issues take a look at my 2010 S80 post it has the typical issues

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87687

Thanks

Paul

moussey
Year and Model: 2003 v70
Been thanked: 0
moussey

Post by moussey » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:45 am

Thank you.

pgill
Year and Model: 2010 S80, 2008 LR2
United States of America
pgill

Post by pgill » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:44 am

Moussey,

I own two P3 vehicles

2008 Land Rover LR2 3.2 (owned since new)

2010 Volvo S80 3.2 (Purchased last November for my son to drive)

And I've been very happy with both of them.

I do like the V70 and XC70 but my wife preferred the look of the LR2 and my son preferred a sedan so we got a S80.

I posted this the other day on the Land Rover board and I thought you might find it interesting

2008 Land Rover LR2 119,000 miles (Owned since new)

High Severity Faults - (for example: Brake failure, engine stalls in traffic, loss of lights at night while driving)

- None (not a single time in 11 years)

Medium Severity Faults - (for example: vehicle cannot be started without replacing a defective part)

- Starter Motor (died on me across the street from my house, approximately 100,000 miles)

- Battery x 2 (I am on my third battery)

Low severity Faults (for example: coolant leak, oil leak, loss of A/C)

- Radiator Fan (upgraded to dual fan)

- Sunroof not closing properly (Repaired under warranty)

- HDC Fault (Software repair, under warranty)

The P3 is an amazing platform and it is not highly sought after so it isn't expensive.

Take care

Paul