Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Radiator Fan will not shut off - drains battery Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

senornose
Year and Model: 2010 V70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
senornose

Radiator Fan will not shut off - drains battery

Post by senornose » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Hello,

2010 V70.

The other day I returned to my car after an eight hour shift to find the battery completely drained. After jump starting and driving home, I noticed the radiator fan remained on indefinitely. Had I not disconnected the battery it would have drained the battery again.

Fan will not shut down at all (with FOB inserted, FOB not inserted, cold engine, etc.)

There were no suspicious codes pulled from the car using Vida/Dice.

I see there is a fan switch available as a replacement part, but the relay appears to be integrated into the fan assembly.

Any suggestions on how to approach this are appreciated. I had a 740 and went through nearly every system on that vehicle, the hood is much tighter in the v70, not sure how involved a DIY fix is if the fan needs to be replaced.

Thanks

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Radiator Fan will not shut off - drains battery

Post by RickHaleParker » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:47 pm

It is suppose to run until the engine cools down but it should shut off.

Start by unplugging the temperature sensor.
Could be the Fan driver, which is integrated in the fan assembly.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

senornose
United States of America
senornose

Post by senornose » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:29 am

I connected the Dice up for a second round of debugging. I was able to Start/Stop the 33% and 66% fan settings (the fan that is on the passenger side), but could not control the fan on the driver side which remains on until I disconnect the battery. I'm guessing that is the 100% setting? I also read various engine and coolant temperatures, all seemed within reason. My refrigerant pressure was 619, not sure if that would cause a side effect.

Are there any links to part diagrams I could reference? I'm interested in disconnecting the driver side fan for the time being and would also like to disconnect the temperature sensor as a test that was mentioned above.

Question: It is relatively mild where I live. Under reasonable loads/no AC, would the 33% and 66% fan handle cooling if the driver side fan is disconnected?

I sure miss analog gauges.

RickHaleParker
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am

Are there any links to part diagrams I could reference?

In Vida, search by part description.

The fan control modules are on the front side of the fan assembly, one for each fan, you should be able to figure out how to disable one. You could put a manual switch on the one that is giving you problems. Just don't forget to turn it on if your going to do stop and go driving.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.

senornose
United States of America
senornose

Post by senornose » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Disabled the fan. I'll test the 33 and 66% settings with Vida and make sure some functionality is maintained.

After looking at the in place fan assembly it seems like once being un-clipped from the radiator and electrical connections removed the assembly would pull straight up and out. I have not replaced one in this car yet and it does seem tight. I'm I be naive or is this a straight forward removal/replacement?

RickHaleParker
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Once you get all the bolts and wires out of the way should come straight up. It might put up a little fight. That the way the older V70s went.

senornose
United States of America
senornose

Re: Radiator Fan will not shut off - drains battery  Topic is solved

Post by senornose » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm

The following is an update of the cooling fan issue I had and how it was solved.

Time: Once replacement assembly arrives, this would take me no more 2.5 hours to do again
Technical difficulty: 1.5/5
Frustration level: ~2.5/5

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional mechanic and YMMV if you choose to use this technique. Remember safety first. You should not need to lift the car for this technique. Don't force anything during removal and re-installation as it could cause damage to hoses, wiring, and radiator.

See photos listed at the end of this post for reference.

Based on what I read, the general consensus is that if the radiator cooling fan (B, larger one, driver side in this dual fan assembly), remains on after the car is turned off to the point it drains the battery completely (i.e., car is cooled off, fan stays on for an hour+ until no more battery power will drive it), the fan relay is to blame. I think it's reasonable to extend that to the smaller fan (C) as well, but I didn't have that issue. Unfortunately the general consensus is also that the fan relay is integrated into the entire fan assembly, and not a serviceable/replaceable item (I plan to look into the old fan relay when time permits though). Note, the condenser cooling fan (C, small one, passenger side) seemed to be fine in my case.

In my case, Vida was not showing any specific errors regardless if the fan was connected or disconnected (explained below).

Thanks to some guidance in this thread, I ran a few tests.

Disconnect battery. Disconnect the temperature gauge connection (#7). As mentioned, nothing looked abnormal on Vida, temperatures included. Reconnect battery. The fan remained turned on.

Disconnect battery. Disconnect the the supply to the radiator cooling fan (A, tough to get at but doable by hand). Reconnect battery. Run the engine with the fan power supply disconnected. Shut off engine, disconnect battery, reconnect fan power supply (A). Reconnect battery. See if there was any sort of resetting of the relay. The fan remained on.

Using Vida, try to turn the 100% fan off/on. The fan remained on at all times. I was able to control the 33% and 66% fan settings (C) remotely using the Vida. I was unable to affect the large cooling fan in anyway using the Vida.

At this point I was convinced enough to replace the fan assembly. The battery was put on a charger and I ordered a fan assembly as well as a gallon of zerex G48 50/50.

Once the fan assembly arrived I inspected it, checked the connector types, and measured the dimensions, including tabs end to end/OD to make sure it was same as the installed fan assembly, which it was.

The fan tab end to end measurement is large enough that I opted to make room for removal and installation by removing and loosening several hoses, stabilizers, zip ties, and air intake hose.

To start, I drained about .5 gallons of coolant.

I then clamped and disconnected hose (#'s 2 and 12) and pushed them to the side as far as possible. The supply/control to the fan was disconnected from the assembly (#8, though not a great shot but it's obvious), temperature gauge wiring disconnected (#7), all the clips that hold on the T gauge wiring (#'s 3, 5, 6, etc) were disconnected using two small flatheads above and below as they have teeth on them, the stabilizer bracket nut for the solid tube (#4) was removed. Follow this solid tube towards the middle of the engine and you'll see a press on fitting that attaches it to the two AC hoses (I believe) that are also in the vicinity. Pull that free. You'll also see some ties (#'s 11, 13, and 14) that should be disconnected/zip ties cut in order to move that harness out of the way sufficiently. Finally, remove the air intake hose (#10).

At this point it's simply a matter of opening up the locking tabs on the top of the radiator (#1, there is another on the driver side top) with a flat head and pulling out the old fan assembly out of the cradles. Take care not to damage the radiator or the tabs. The bottom two cradles the bottom tabs rest in do not have this locking mechanism. There were no other screws, bolts, pins or ties holding my fan assembly in place. It was a tight removal, but I was able to wiggle it out in about 10 minutes without causing any damage to the radiator and hoses.

Reinstall in reverse order. I didn't force the new fan assembly in, but did use the palm of my hand to lightly tap the driver side of the fan past what I believe is the transmission oil cooler (driver side of the radiator). Once past that it dropped in easily. Be sure that the bottom tabs are seated in the appropriate cradles before snapping the top tabs into the locking cradles. Be sure that the temperature gauge wiring passes through (to the left #3) the knock-out freely.

I sprayed a bit of electrical contact cleaner in the temp and fan assembly connectors, and added a bit of dielectric grease, then connected.

Once everything is back in place, fastened, zip tied... top of the coolant with a compatible coolant of your choice. Squeezing the larger hose (#2) removed some of the air pockets. Since I measured the coolant I drained I felt comfortable when I added the same amount.

Reconnect the battery. The fan should not be on if the fan relay was the issue. Start the car, the fan should spin up. Monitor the instrument panel to be sure no low coolant or other abnormal messages appear. It's probably best to revisit the coolant level once the car has been run for a bit and after it has cooled down entirely.

Hope that helps anyone that experiences an issue like this and please chime in if something is wrongly stated.
driver_side.jpg
driver_side.jpg (286.13 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Pass_Side.jpg
Pass_Side.jpg (385.72 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Driver_Side_wire_and_hose.jpg
Driver_Side_wire_and_hose.jpg (213.37 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Fan-Tabs.jpg
Fan-Tabs.jpg (119.7 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
These users thanked the author senornose for the post:
Jake59

midniteliquid
Year and Model: 2011 XC70 T6
Been thanked: 0
midniteliquid

Post by midniteliquid » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:03 pm

So, my 2011 XC70 T6 started doing this today when I went to the car wash... grrr.

My local Advance Auto Parts parts manager ordered me a new Cooling Fan Relay Control Module which I'm going to pick up tomorrow. Hopefully that will solve the issue... but if I have to replace the whole fan assembly because this module doesn't fix the issue, then I will.

Thanks for the great write-up with pictures!

Volvo #1: 1996 850 GLT (now my Sister's...)
Volvo #2: 1995 850 T5R (totalled... rear-ended by a woman on her phone)
Volvo #3: MY2011 XC70 T6 (current... I love, love, love this car!!)