IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Vacuum hose to banjo bolt broke, where and what does it do?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Vacuum hose to banjo bolt broke, where and what does it do?

Post by June » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:57 pm

I had the pcv system replaced on my 2004 S80 T6 with 154K. I was told the box was clean and actually was fine, but the hose to the banjo bolt had split in two. Surprise the system was still passing the test. I insisted the service be done. I wish I had photos of the box, but my advisor texted this picture of the new part, and a video of the broken hose. Apparently the 3K oil changes kept the box clean of sludge.

Does anyone know what the vacuum line to the banjo bolt does? I didn't get a clear answer from my dealer what it does, so I am asking you guys. I wanted the metal pipe with all the little hoses replaced, but they refused saying they have never replaced one. I hope that was not a mistake? Thanks, June
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Vacuum hose to banjo bolt broke, where and what does it do?

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:06 am

If I recall correctly this set up is for both cooling and vacuum or air supply. The curved outside part is for coolant which I think is designed to heat and cool the intake or the air coming in. The Banjo portion is to route air via the banjo bolt that goes into the intake and that is the hose that split. I don't recall where the other end of the hose goes and I don't have a Volvo in the garage to look.

You can just follow it back and see where the end that is not in the picture plugs into. It will be going from passenger side to driver side under the intake runners. It is either combustion gas or clean air being fed or pulled into the intake.

The actual hard physical pipe does not really fail - it can clog up - but a cleaning should suffice. The copper washers between the banjo bolt could leak. The plastic pipe will fail at some point with age and use. When I did mine I learned that Volvo only sold the complete part - so many just either remove and replace the pipe or use a substitute. A dealer cannot use a substitute and has to replace with OEM Volvo supplied parts.

That said they probably heated up the plastic pipe slightly, pulled it off and replaced it onto the old fitting. If one was to do the entire assembly they would have had to change out all the clamps. Your shop had two choices here - inspect and replace only what was needed or replace everything. It appears they kept what looked good as all those hoses can add up. Sure they can fail in the future but if they look fine they most likely still will last a good number of years.

I don't know if that helps, but the Shop's approach seems sound and hopefully the bill was not too bad.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
June

June
United States of America
June

Post by June » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:02 pm

SuperHerman wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:06 am
If I recall correctly this set up is for both cooling and vacuum or air supply. The curved outside part is for coolant which I think is designed to heat and cool the intake or the air coming in. The Banjo portion is to route air via the banjo bolt that goes into the intake and that is the hose that split. I don't recall where the other end of the hose goes and I don't have a Volvo in the garage to look.

You can just follow it back and see where the end that is not in the picture plugs into. It will be going from passenger side to driver side under the intake runners. It is either combustion gas or clean air being fed or pulled into the intake.

The actual hard physical pipe does not really fail - it can clog up - but a cleaning should suffice. The copper washers between the banjo bolt could leak. The plastic pipe will fail at some point with age and use. When I did mine I learned that Volvo only sold the complete part - so many just either remove and replace the pipe or use a substitute. A dealer cannot use a substitute and has to replace with OEM Volvo supplied parts.

That said they probably heated up the plastic pipe slightly, pulled it off and replaced it onto the old fitting. If one was to do the entire assembly they would have had to change out all the clamps. Your shop had two choices here - inspect and replace only what was needed or replace everything. It appears they kept what looked good as all those hoses can add up. Sure they can fail in the future but if they look fine they most likely still will last a good number of years.

I don't know if that helps, but the Shop's approach seems sound and hopefully the bill was not too bad.
I wanted the whole thing replaced, but my advisor said to replace that metal tube with all the little hoses would add 12 hours of labor to the bill which did not sound right to me as the intake was off all ready, and how hard could it be at that point. I know the hose apparatus is like $500, then add 12 hours at $150. Per hour and something is wrong with that math.

On my model the banjo bolt is to be cleaned every 120K in the maintenance schedule. My dealer said nobody had ever requested that service and I was told to leave it until a pcv service was needed. Now 34K later I was worried, especially since so many on here have the pcv fail. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:18 pm

I pulled up a picture of the part and did some reading. Well I am now confused and it is too cold to go look at my XC90 with the 2.9T. Needless to say I am now confused and curious.

The big pipe you wanted replaced is Part #: VOL-30731004 and $355 at FCP Euro - so $500 at the dealer sounds about right. Within this pipe is the part you had replaced which is Part #: VOL-30731007. If you go searching you will see the giant mess of pipes and hoses the the big pipe contains.

I have to agree that the hours quoted sounds rather high when so much of the work has already been done. I may have done this on my XC90, or at least thought about doing it and studied it. Too many cars and too many repairs so I just don't recall. But you are right most of the work to replace the part was already billed in what you had serviced. Still if only that pipe was cracked their approach was the most cost effective. If routine service is to clean out the banjo bolt at 120K - I gather Volvo is rather confident on the longevity of the big pipe. If I didn't change out my Big Pipe then it would have had to been in great condition or I would have replaced it. I recall I ordered the little pipe you had replaced and didn't use it - so either mine was fine or I did the entire Big Pipe.

But - reading what others posted some seem to say that pipe goes into a check valve - which is not what the actual part picture shows although the part has some heat foam hose that hides some routing but "buttons" up the entire assembly into a clean piece. The check valve may plug in down near the driver side of the engine - just routed through the Big Pipe and not going direct. Going in circles here.

Hopefully someone with a fresher memory will chip in and straighten things out.

June
United States of America
June

Post by June » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:06 pm

SuperHerman wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:18 pm
I pulled up a picture of the part and did some reading. Well I am now confused and it is too cold to go look at my XC90 with the 2.9T. Needless to say I am now confused and curious.

The big pipe you wanted replaced is Part #: VOL-30731004 and $355 at FCP Euro - so $500 at the dealer sounds about right. Within this pipe is the part you had replaced which is Part #: VOL-30731007. If you go searching you will see the giant mess of pipes and hoses the the big pipe contains.

I have to agree that the hours quoted sounds rather high when so much of the work has already been done. I may have done this on my XC90, or at least thought about doing it and studied it. Too many cars and too many repairs so I just don't recall. But you are right most of the work to replace the part was already billed in what you had serviced. Still if only that pipe was cracked their approach was the most cost effective. If routine service is to clean out the banjo bolt at 120K - I gather Volvo is rather confident on the longevity of the big pipe. If I didn't change out my Big Pipe then it would have had to been in great condition or I would have replaced it. I recall I ordered the little pipe you had replaced and didn't use it - so either mine was fine or I did the entire Big Pipe.

But - reading what others posted some seem to say that pipe goes into a check valve - which is not what the actual part picture shows although the part has some heat foam hose that hides some routing but "buttons" up the entire assembly into a clean piece. The check valve may plug in down near the driver side of the engine - just routed through the Big Pipe and not going direct. Going in circles here.

Hopefully someone with a fresher memory will chip in and straighten things out.

Okay, here is a photo of the maintenance schedule top line is pcv at 120K

Also my bill $1689.94 that includes a oil change, and replacing the hard plastic fresh air pipes and charge tubes with the twin charged metal strip.

Thank you for that part number. Surprising the original ven't box was clean. Both ports that go to the block were clean black plastic and one of the top ports too. The other top port on the ven't box was slightly discolored tan. Nothing like the plugged up messes I see on here. I was shocked as my car is 14 years old and has 154K on the clock. Obviously 3K oil changes with synthetic oil has kept the engine clean inside.

The mechanic thought it must have been replaced. I know I never had it replaced as well as the computer at my dealer with all my service records verified it had not been replaced. So clearly long oil change intervals plug the pcv system. June
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:51 am

For the BLACK Plastic Pipe listed in the original thread by June above, does anyone have a used one lying around and can measure for me the I.D. of this pipe?

Is this around 3/16"?

Can one use a fuel line with thick wall instead of this plastic pipe?

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sat May 18, 2019 9:56 pm

cn90 - I cannot do as you ask, but I can give you the following for part #30731007. Unfortunately mine is still in the package and I don't want to take it apart to give you exacts and that may ruin the part.

Here is what I have - the outside diameter of the plastic pipe is 5.85mm (.234 inches) and the inside diameter of the plastic barbed nipple portion is 3.50 mm (.142 inches) and the outside diameter of the barbed nipple portion is 4.50 mm (.175 inches). My measurements are from the plastic double ended barb nipple not shown in June's picture - the other end. As the hard plastic pipe is uniform this should be the same as the end that goes to the aluminum elbow loop shown in the picture.

I think that 3/16 may be too large, but the barbs should hold it. The pipe is not that long (6.25 inches fully seated on both ends) and if the fuel line keeps its shape I don't see a problem using it. It looks like the plastic pipe is forced over the barbs and then heated to get it to shrink and seal plus hold in place without clamps (one reason to use plastic pipe). Hope that helps.

cn90
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Same question but asked in a different forum.
I got 2 separate answers, one said 4 mm, the other said 3 mm.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue May 21, 2019 9:53 pm

cn90 - I never answered your question :). I just gave you the measurements of the plastic barbed nipple.

I would say that 3mm is too small as the inside diameter of the plastic barbed nipple is 3.5. If you go with rubber 4mm may stretch enough.

I suppose 3mm is possible if they warmed it up and then shrunk it, but that is calling it real close.

cn90
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:18 pm

To revisit this issue of the Black Hose. Sure I can buy the T6 kit ($40) as June posted above and use only the black plastic hose, which is a waste of money for something like this...

I need someone to help me with actual measurement of the hose itself (not the barb fitting).
- I.D. = ___?; O.D. = ___?
- I see white plastic hose sold at Ace Hardware, the stuff used for fridge water line, for about $0.50/foot.
Is this hose (used for fridge water supply) a good idea?
- How about regular rubber hose (which I have at home), can it handle vacuum under boost without collapsing inward?

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+