Good morning everyone.
Herman has a new parking brake on his driver's side!
That was more difficult than I thought it would be, but not that difficult overall.
Had some difficulty getting the drum brakes to set correctly and had to redo the procedure several times. Also had some difficulty getting the cable to lay correctly into the center console area. But I finally got it done!
That was my first time ever working with a drum brake.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures as Robert DIY's video is perfectly sufficient.
Still doing research on head rebuilding. I rebuilt a Honda head back in '08, and rebuilt some motors in automotive technical school. The idea of engine rebuilding isn't foreign to me. I'm presently leaning towards rebuilding the head myself, and having a machine shop resurface and clean the head. The rest is pretty easy, but time consuming clean up and regasketing work.
One of my friends was joking that with the broken exhaust manifold and the head rebuild that it was the perfect excuse to pull the n/a motor and swap in a turbo motor. Too bad I only have a one car garage
Because I have done so much work I've decided to make a list of what would need to be done to complete Herman's restoration
- rebuild head,
- replace oil supply gaskets.
- Possibly new engine mounts.
- Fix the blasted cruise control.
Note: I may replace the VVIS head and Intake with a later style single manifold when I do the rebuild.
- fuel pump,
- return valve,
- fuel level sender,
- top of tank send and return lines,
- return line off of fuel rail,
- fuel filter.
- heater core line refit.
Brake system: front brake lines
- Delta link bushings,
- replace swaybars with IPD sways and poly bushings,
- replace rear shocks due to age,
- add HD rear springs to handle larger loads,
- IPD poly subframe inserts.
- touch up paint,
- replace or fix lower driver side plate under headlight.
- repair tearing on driver seat side support,
- new dash bulbs,
- new headliner,
- upgrade speakers.
- Considering adding backup camera, and modern head unit.
Frivolous things I'd love to do:
(None of these are necessary and my wife would never appropriate but I think would be neat additions)
- Pegasus rims
- Add heated seats
- A stock spoiler or E30 spoiler (the back looks naked)
- Retrofit an infrared camera system from a Mercedes or GM (lots of deer where I live)
- install a HUD unit