IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Front Struts and Rear Shocks

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

What brand are you running?

Bilstein
33%
KYB
5%
Boge
3%
Sachs
20%
Monroe/Gabriel
14%
NAPA
2%
OEM
24%

Total votes: 66

Tsquared
Year and Model: 11 C30
United States of America

Front Struts and Rear Shocks

Post by Tsquared » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:29 pm

I am overdue on replacing the struts and shocks on the 96 850. It still has the original equipment. The ride has not been bad but the spring seats on the front springs have just started acting up. I have been doing the research on the aftermarket brands available and the pricing from various sources. I would like some feedback from people that have swapped out their struts and shocks.

The Bilstein seem a little pricey and I have heard of a rougher ride than stock - any comments...

The KYB are cheaper - is this because the are really cheaper?

The Boge and Sachs I have heard very little about.

Monroe/Gabriel is not an option - bad past experience.

Anyone running the NAPA premium?

T
'11 C30 T5

'96 854 - died an early death with 184K miles. Killed by the front end of an LTD on a suicide mission (T-boned and both cars totaled).

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America

Post by MadeInJapan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:02 pm

I voted Bilstein, but there are a couple of different ones out there. I have the Touring or TC's which are actually much cheaper than their very stiff HD version. Although I like the ride with them, there is one draw back- they raise the front about an inch. The koni adjustable are suppose to be the best ride. Boge and Sachs are what most consider OEM. You can check out what's available for decent prices at www.shox.com
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

Bill S70 T5
Year and Model:
Post by Bill S70 T5 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:49 pm

I have a 98 S70 T5, (120k miles) and also will be replacing the suspension all round. I'd like to ask a question too.
Does anyone know if theres a big difference between the Koni Sports and Koni FSD's, I can get a pretty good price for a Koni FSD set but would also like to put on the Eibach lowered springs too and am not sure if theres any problems specifically with using FSD's an lowered springs.

I'm also planning to add a strut brace (& sway bar) in the future as I think the front would work good if it was a little firmer, would appreciate any expert or experienced thoughts out there

I'd read too many people not liking the Bilstiens so didn't even think about using them.

Hope it was ok to use your thread to ask my question

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Get the Koni FSD's with the Eibach's. This is the best of both worlds...the firm fronts when they need to be (open highway and in the twisties) but forgiving when going over bumps. The Eibach's are perfect too as they lower the car just enough and give your car that extra tightness. When replacing these parts, do the spring seats and shock/strut mounts too as well as the HD endlinks (IPDusa.com or quickbrickmotorsports.com) and your car will ride the best that it can with what's out there today. At least this is what I've heard from other S70 owners on several other boards.

Bill S70 T5
Year and Model:
Post by Bill S70 T5 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Thanks man that helps, would you believe I'd actually got an order ready & pretty much included every nut and bolt but forgot the sway bar links, an it's only a few bucks so I'll be going with the HD !
Will nona djustable links work ok with the 1 inch lowered springs or does the drop need adjustable links (may be getting too expensive now..)? I'm not sure where the line is drawn on lowering and the need for adjustments.

I'll also be getting the camber adjustment kit (just in case) as I've read on some sites that the drop requires it

I'll definitely be going for the FSD's and will update you in a month or so (once the paycheck comes in and pays for all this stuff !) how it worked out.

What Strut brace are you using? I've seen some at Eurosport Tuning but am not overly impressed.

I found a link for a BMW strut brace site during some searching

http://www.strong-strut.com/index.html

I'm going to contact them (funds permitting) to see if they can do a Volvo pattern, their workmanship is excellent & worth a look.

Thanks for the info and the reminder on the end links :)

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:01 pm

I've got the IPD cheapy in my car...bought it before I really knew about strut brace quality...so mine looks really nice (polished aluminum) but from what I understand it's more bling than anything.

Never heard of the Nona's. As far as I've heard one of three of these strut braces is the way to go:
1. Volvo OEM (you will probably have to order one from your dealer).
2. IPD truss looking brace.
3 OMP strut brace (the best of the three from what I understand).

http://volvospeed.com/ompstrutbrace.htm
When you contact http://www.motorspot.com/ to buy it, tell them you're a VolvoSpeed member (maybe you are, maybe you're not) and you'll get the discount listed in the first link.
In regards to whether or not the endlink needs to be adjustable or not, I'm not sure. I do know that the quickbrickmotorsports ones are by far the superior ones (but expensive) and they ARE adjustable.
Good luck!

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America

Post by JRL » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:12 pm

You forgot KONI so this poll is VERY incomplete

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America

Post by MadeInJapan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:46 pm

You are absolutely correct. Though I did mention them. 8)

MadeInAmerica
Year and Model:

Re: Front Struts and Rear Shocks

Post by MadeInAmerica » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:57 am

Tsquared wrote:I am overdue on replacing the struts and shocks on

The Boge and Sachs I have heard very little about.
From what Im reading from vendor websites the Sachs and Boge are the originals for 850's at least I see that for the '94. They have them at EEuroparts for $100 shipped. Thats the cheapest Ive seen them for shipped.
'94 850 Turbo 160K Automatic

[Autometer Sport/Comp Boost Gauge][Silicone Vacuum Hoses][Walbro Fuel Pump][New OEM Torque Mount][Yokohama YK520][New PCV system+Air Intake Hose][Magnaflow Cat at 160K][Borla Pro XS Muffler 162K]

KALAS
Year and Model:
Post by KALAS » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:00 pm

MadeInJapan wrote:I voted Bilstein, but there are a couple of different ones out there. I have the Touring or TC's which are actually much cheaper than their very stiff HD version. Although I like the ride with them, there is one draw back- they raise the front about an inch. The koni adjustable are suppose to be the best ride. Boge and Sachs are what most consider OEM. You can check out what's available for decent prices at www.shox.com
Hello to everybody, I am a new member of this forum. Excuse me by my poor english.

I have recently mounted Bilstein Sport (yellow ones) in my 850 GLT. Really the ride is stiffer and they raise the front about an inch, as commented. I feel a great difference with the original old ones, but I actually suppose they were in very bad condition.

The result: the behaviour of the suspension has been improved a lot. I recommend Bilstein.
Volvo 850 GLT Aut.

Return to “Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)”