IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2006 2.5T coolant leak question

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
AnotherPassword
Year and Model: 2006 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
AnotherPassword

2006 2.5T coolant leak question

Post by AnotherPassword » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:35 am

Hi All,
Strange thing. I replaced radiator a few days ago because it had a pinhole leak. Wife drove it a few days, and I started getting a pretty good amount of coolant coming from the cover on bottom of engine. My thinking is that since it was not fully perssurizing, maybe the radiator fix fully pressurized the system and now a new leak? Not leaking around radiator or any of the hoses I worked on, and did not undo any hoses on engine side. Did not replace thermostat housing etc.
Took cover off bottom of engine, it seems to be dripping down oil filter area and drops on bottom of cover at bottom of balancer. Thought maybe water pump, pulled plastic cover. Pic of water pump, seems a little dirty but not leaking. Leak seems to be dripping around the bracket that holds the a/c compressor, so probably from above it? Would that be the thermostat housing? I don't see any coolatd, kinda hard to see in there, and it has been really humid here so not sure.
Am thinking that while I have it torn down might as well do the timing belt and water pump kit. When I bought it Carfax said it had been replace, but I have 130k miles on it and no sticker under hood showing timing belt service.
I am not positive it is the water pump given where the drips are, so had to just do water pump and still have a leak.
Thoughts?
thanks,
ds

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: 2006 2.5T coolant leak question

Post by Rattnalle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:50 am

Isn't the oil filter pretty much right under the thermostat and it's hoses? Including hoses for coolant through the pcv if you have that kind.

AnotherPassword
United States of America
AnotherPassword

Post by AnotherPassword » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:47 am

Yeah, I am kinda leaning that way and going to do the thermostat housing. Any thoughts on the timing belt? It does not look real worn.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 am

I replaced mine this autumn at 150 000 km and 7-8 years and it didn't look worn either. The pulleys do look very clean though compared to mine. The red bearing seal in one of your pictures for example.

In Sweden the practice is for Volvo to replace the water pump only every second timing belt unless it feels bad in some way. Yours doesn't look like it's been changed but it also looks dry and not leaky.

Stuff some paper or rags around the thermostat hoses and see if they get wet.

blandis
Year and Model: 99 S70 T5
United States of America
blandis

Post by blandis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

No leak prior to work on the radiator... I would retrace my steps. Start up high with paper towels and work your way down until they are wet would be my approach. Any chance you pulled a bolt from block that requires a bit of sealant? Not even sure if this is a possibility and if so which bolt require sealant. Just a guess as I am unsure of what all was taken off to get radiator in and out.

I have same setup. I did water pump, tensioner, belt and all while I had it apart at 100K. Belt looked fine as did water pump. I knew I would not keep the car until 210K when next belt change was required. My approach is do it all while it was apart and not have to worry about tearing into it again for another 100K plus for any reason. Never had a WP leak on any of the various 5 cyl cars I have owned. Ran my T5 s70 225K before I changed the WP and it was fine.

Brad
Dallas, TX
1999 S70 T5
2006 XC90 2.5T

AnotherPassword
United States of America
AnotherPassword

Post by AnotherPassword » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Dang, good idea on the paper towels in and around tstat, I will give that a shot. Also, on the tstat housing, the other suspect is the hose that comes off of the tstat housing an goes under the intake. Looks like it connects to a metal tube and that and a wire are in a sleeve that I can't see where it goes. Is there a diagram that shows where all the coolant hoses go? I have not seen that one coming off the tstat in any pics.
On tstat housing assembly, I see everything from OEM to Dorman, is there one that is more recommended than others?
Thanks again for all the input.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Careful with the paper towels not to get trapped into the spinning belt. I woukd guess the hose to the thermostat is not tight or doesn't seal properly. The water pump seems to be stamped Volvo so should be good up to 200k miles. The belt looks recent but double check for cracks on the other face of the belt. Thermostat don't touch dorman, use Beck & Arnley or Volvo

Roger_850T
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 854T 1995
United States of America
Roger_850T

Post by Roger_850T » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm

If you can, it's sometimes helpful to pressurize the system cold to help track down leaks. I have a little hose section that has a Schrader valve and a gauge, and I put it in the line by the coolant reservoir, then pressurize to ~10psi or so with compressed air. When it's hot, the coolant can come out as vapor and be tough to find, but when it's cold you can see it dripping easier. Plus, you're doing it when the engine is not running, which means you don't have to worry about getting caught in moving parts...

Roger

'05 XC90 V8 140k
'95 854T 310k
'02 V70 159k
'03 S80 111k (crashed)
'93 945T 217k (gone to be parted out)
'87 245 300k+ sold, still going
'84 264 Diesel, RIP at 160k
'78 242 manual everything.
'73 P1800ES, fun until the rust set in...

rakesh4404
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
United States of America
rakesh4404

Post by rakesh4404 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I have the same problem, after recent radiator job the leak from the radiator stopped but right under the Engine/oil filter the Coolant is leaking. Not sure if I snapped something during my work.
Any guidance will be helpful.

leatherntextilec70
Year and Model: Volvo 1999 c70
United States of America
leatherntextilec70

Post by leatherntextilec70 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:25 pm

I recently noticed the EXACT same leak on my 5 cylinder after taking care of all the other leaks. From below it looks like its coming from between the ac bracket and oil pan and leaks down the filter and pan the same way as your pictures. I have been looking at the car for days trying to find the source, looking with a flashlight at all angles and even breaking out the digital inspection camera. On the second try with the inspection camera I finally saw a drip of coolant forming on the under side of the thermostat housing. Looking from above I can see the side of the thermostat housing (aluminum piece that goes from thermostat cover to cylinder head) is wet and coming from the thermostat cover. Very difficult to see at first since its all shades of grey with little visibility but I am certain this is the source, at least on my car. Likely the o ring for the thermostat is bad, or the thermostat cover is warped.