IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

New member needing assistance with Timing belt

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

racertracer
Year and Model: 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
racertracer

New member needing assistance with Timing belt

Post by racertracer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:12 pm

I was wondering if there was a member in the Connecticut area that can assist me with a timing belt replacement and a VVT repair on a 2001 Volvo s40.

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T
United States of America
alschnertz

Re: New member needing assistance with Timing belt

Post by alschnertz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:35 pm

What is it that you're having trouble with?
There's a lot of good information in the forums and Haynes makes a "decent" repair manual for that generation S40.

'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE

racertracer
Year and Model: 2001
United States of America
racertracer

Post by racertracer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Yes, thank you for responding.

How to properly re-install the VVT hub I have the tool

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T
United States of America
alschnertz

Post by alschnertz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:18 am

It's been a number of years since I did mine, but from what I remember, the procedure isn't terribly difficult. It did take me a long time, but I just don't work as fast as I used to.

I assume you are referring to the cam locking tool. That's good.
You will need a torque wrench that's good for 80 ft-lbs.

I found this video helpful even though it's for a 5-cylinder engine and uses a spring loaded VVT gear.

My '01 S40 did not/does not have a spring loaded gear. Maybe because it's only a 4-cylinder.

IIRC, there is nothing to "line up" regarding the VVT sprocket on the 1.9L engine. As long as the cam locking tool is properly installed and the intake camshaft sprocket properly installed, the number of teeth on the belt will set the proper location of the exhaust VVT hub. Sounds weird, but that's the way it worked with the non-spring loaded VVT hub. In other words, you set the intake sprocket first before tightening up the VVT sprocket. You'll notice the VVT hub is not keyed.

You will still have to go through the tensioning procedure, but that is typical.

'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE

QUARKS40
Year and Model: 2010 XC60
United States of America
QUARKS40

Post by QUARKS40 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Good video, and alschnertz is definitely a good source of information. Something to keep in mind, since I assume you are working with the engine installed in the engine bay. To that end, you'll remove the accessory belt and associated components, then remove the passenger side engine mount. To remove the stud sticking out of the engine block you'll need a stud remover - this is a cheap tool that will grab the stud and allow you to remove it, just like removing a bolt.
The balance of what I describe assumes you have already locked the cams with the cam locking tool. I myself would install the cam locking tool BEFORE removing the timing belt, as on this 4 cylinder engine, the valve springs will push the cams (move/rotate) if they are not locked first. This isn't so much a problem on 5 cylinder engines
To remove the VVT gear you may find it necessary to uninstall the power steering reservoir in order to get a wrench on the VVT gear. You might find it necessary to cut the bracket that holds the power steering reservoir and bend it out of the way. Clearance is the issue, which you will see for yourself.
After that, there is little I can add to the video

2010 XC60 - P*, 3 Spoke steering wheel retro, Gearshift retro.
2001 S40 - 14T, BBTB, turbo back stainless DP, Upsolute, KW, 15mm rear sway, 17" Konig wheels, Custom Arctic Silver/Sonic Blue pearl paint, custom interior

QUARKS40
Year and Model: 2010 XC60
United States of America
QUARKS40

Post by QUARKS40 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:27 pm

upload to this thread from post by Regent
01S40T5 TB Replacement.pdf
(412.65 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

2010 XC60 - P*, 3 Spoke steering wheel retro, Gearshift retro.
2001 S40 - 14T, BBTB, turbo back stainless DP, Upsolute, KW, 15mm rear sway, 17" Konig wheels, Custom Arctic Silver/Sonic Blue pearl paint, custom interior

Hendo22
Year and Model: 2004 s40 1.9l T
United States of America
Hendo22

Post by Hendo22 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:03 am

What is the exact diagnosis of the problem you’re trying to fix? I have messed with timing on these recently, the exhaust cam has the most spring tension to it which will rotate it clockwise once the timing belt or tensioner is removed, but it’s a very easy fix to rotate back in time with the right tools.

ALSO, if what’s wrong with the cvvt gear it’s a leak, replace the gasket first before you start messing around with o rings and cam seals that some other fortunes suggest. That fixed it for me, factory gasket was thrashed when I pulled it off.

Hendo22
Year and Model: 2004 s40 1.9l T
United States of America
Hendo22

Post by Hendo22 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:10 am

QUARKS40 wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:11 pm
The balance of what I describe assumes you have already locked the cams with the cam locking tool. I myself would install the cam locking tool BEFORE removing the timing belt, as on this 4 cylinder engine, the valve springs will push the cams (move/rotate) if they are not locked first. This isn't so much a problem on 5 cylinder engines
To remove the VVT gear you may find it necessary to uninstall the power steering reservoir in order to get a wrench on the VVT gear. You might find it necessary to cut the bracket that holds the power steering reservoir and bend it out of the way. Clearance is the issue, which you will see for yourself.
After that, there is little I can add to the video
You will definitely need to removed the power steering reservoir, but locking the cams isn’t exactly necessary. If you already have the tool and the time then why the hell nof. Unless you’re messing with the gears or seals the locking tool shouldn’t be a necessity if you know how to set time. I have a book and pics of you need some help.