IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2013 XC90 Transmission fluid type (3.2 Engine)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
frenchyaz
Year and Model: 2013 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
frenchyaz

Re: 2013 XC90 Transmission fluid type (3.2 Engine)

Post by frenchyaz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 pm

So, update, I went to the dealership as I was nearby and he said to stick to the VIDA reference versus the chassis reference as the VIDA is most updated data.

He pulled out a bottle of transmission oil reference 31256774, which is AW-01. The bottle says "The oil has been introduced for AWF21 generation II (TF-80SC), (6 speed), from and including model year 2010.

Interesting, no?

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:47 am

I've tried to figure out chassis to model year (MY) a few times, if you go onto the internet and pull the XC90 global sales numbers year over year, it's possible to ballpark the MY by VIN. There were a couple years missing from the Volvo sites so you would need to approximate.

I've never canvassed the community for much of a sanity check, nor was I ever able to get confirmation of any sort from Volvo (I'm still wanting build numbers on the 07-08 Sport, been told no twice) but near as I can tell, the chassis break 568001 is right around the MY11 point. Couple of other Volvo reseller sites note the fluid PN change as applicable for MY13/14, what you suggest makes sense.

Regardless, VIDA has a bunch of chassis break notations for different parts and for this fluid there is as a change after 568000 See 2013D snippet
Chassis Break Transmission Fluid VIDA Snip.JPG
For sure if you ask around the dealers, you'll get more than a few answers to the question. Everyone I've spoken with though uses chassis number as the indicator. This certainly equates to a model year but the key here (in my opinion) is that the exchange PN for the transmission changes at the same exact chassis number as the fluid.

The "real" question to me, as asked on other site (no definitive answer there), then is what after 568001 occurs that has both transmission part numbers and fluid specs change?

I recall one person noted viscosity, possibly as an effort to slightly improve gas mileage. Perhaps it was a Volvo/Geely business decision (Ford sold Volvo to Geely in 2010, Ford continued to supply powertrains to Volvo for some time) that had run it's course. Or perhaps some consolidation was completed or a long term contract was re-negotiatated, could be any number of combination of things.

But plain and simple, something changes at chassis 568000. And from that point forward, it's suggested that you use BOT341 fluid instead of JWS3309.

Go figure...

**edit- Add VIDA snippet, fix chassis break references*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ggleavitt on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:22 am, edited 6 times in total.

2005 2.5T AWD-198k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-127k

frenchyaz
United States of America
frenchyaz

Post by frenchyaz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:01 am

That's a good question, what changes?
So far that I could get information digging here and there, I have noticed that the JWS 3309 is not a synthetic oil versus the AW-01 is a synthetic oil.

So maybe, they are both the same but one is synthetic and the other one is not. That would explain why some model years have a change interval for the transmission fluid change (regular oil) versus some others where it states that it is a lifetime (or 150,000 miles) because it is synthetic oil?

I contacted Volvo online and of course they told me to ask the dealer.... which I did.

Maybe if we ask enough dealers we will have a better view of the situation??

ggleavitt
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:53 am

Apologies, had the wrong chassis number break for the fluid and transmission PN, it's 568000, not 680000. Posts above have been edited.

2005 2.5T AWD-198k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-127k

frenchyaz
United States of America
frenchyaz

Post by frenchyaz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:58 pm

That's the bottle Volvo showed me if it can be of any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ggleavitt
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Came across this in VIDA, for 2013 model year:

This transmission has been updated on several points to meet high demands for fuel economy and comfort. TF80SC Gen 2 replaces earlier versions of TF80SC.

Changes compared to earlier version:

Tapered bearings - To reduce the inner friction losses, some of the tapered bearings now have bigger diameter and shorter length of bearing rollers. This change gives fewer rollers and thus less friction.
Torque converter - To reduce noise/sound when locking at lower engine rpms, the LTD (Long Travel Damper) has been provided with an inner circle of damping springs
TCM ( Transmission Control Module) - TCM has the same hardware as before but the software has been changed.
Solenoids - Faster shifting has been achieved by making all linear solenoids that control the clutch systems more effective. This change has been achieved by removing the hydraulic part of the solenoids. Further, the magnetic flow in the solenoid has been increased and gap between thrust piston and magnetic coil has been reduced to increase power.
Seal rings - New seal rings with smaller sealing surface contributes to reducing the inner friction. By tapering the seal, the sealing surface is reduced as is the pressure on the sealing surface.
Friction pads - The new friction pads on the discs reduce the impact of drag losses between the friction pads. This has been achieved by optimizing the oil flow channels between the friction surfaces.
Oil with lower viscosity
Fastening AC bracket (6-cyl. engines)

These changes contribute to lower internal losses and, together with upshifting at lower engine rpms, faster downshifts, the result is lower fuel consumption, better shifting quality, and higher efficiency.

2005 2.5T AWD-198k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-127k