IPD sale Volvo Parts

CV Joint axel installation Grease?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the current (third) generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80.

This is a forum for owners or prospective owners of the third generation V70, second generation S80, and its siblings built on the EUCD platform.
kumagan
Year and Model: 2011 xc70, 2012 s60
United States of America

CV Joint axel installation Grease?

Post by kumagan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi I just removed the right cv axel to replace the carrier bearing. The shaft that was in the transmission was dry and had no lube and was rusty in spots. Before install should I apply any type of grease or lube on the transmission side splines and the shaft seal?

There is no transmission fluid in the area as it is a dry pocket.

Thanks Mike

Steve H
Year and Model: 2008 S60 2.5T & XC70
United States of America

Re: CV Joint axel installation Grease?

Post by Steve H » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:33 am

My favorite is "Honda Moly" grease which has a very high moly content. It is what is use on the drive shaft of motorcycles. If you could not find it I would use a high percentage moly based grease. This also an example

Steve H
Year and Model: 2008 S60 2.5T & XC70
United States of America

Post by Steve H » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:33 am

System will not allow me to post a link to a product. Cut this and past it to Amazon Liqui Moly 2003 Mos2 Long-life Grease, 100 ml

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada

Post by oragex » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:18 pm

I didn't put any grease on mines- both at the transmission and at the hub, just made sure they're clean. Perhaps a little bit of grease will help it slide in there easier. Just don't use loctite 8) and when replacing an axle (not now but maybe one day) always keep the original securing circlip as aftermarket ones are often times the wrong size which come with a surprise later on...
2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:12 am

At the wheel hub you want to use a high heat water resistant silicone based grease. Volvo wheel bearing kits in the blue box (kits include bearing hub, new hub to knuckle bolts and...) a small tube tube silicone grease to apply to the splines. It's to keep rust/salt buildup from seizing the two parts together so you can get it apart someday without having to use a press or puller. To my knowledge nothing is called for at the transmission side. Volvo apparently doesn't expect that to get wet.

Occasionally someone comes along with a P80 or older having trouble separating the axle shaft from the trans because the splines have seized together. A little grease on there shouldn't hurt anything (I think) and possibly prevent problems removing the shaft at a much later date. In the past (goin back 20 years or more) I've come across some OEs stating that the inner splines should be coated with trans fluid before inserting into the transmission. That's what I did on my S60 even though Volvo doesn't call for anything there. I consider it a 'best practice' where a heavy grease may not be necessary or you're worried the grease might work it way past the seals and contaminate the fluid inside the transmission.