IPD sale Volvo Parts

Turbo Pressure Sensor

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
lavist
Year and Model: 2001 S80 T6
United States of America

Turbo Pressure Sensor

Post by lavist » Wed May 23, 2018 3:24 pm

I have a 2001 S80 T6 with 168000 miles on it and this morning, for the first time, it was hesitating out of the driveway. I'm getting trouble codes P0236 and P0237 indicating Turbo Pressure Sensors. Seems odd that both pressure sensors would go bad at the exact same time. Had to pull of on the side of the freeway when I essentially lost all power. Reminded me of the "Limp Home" fault I was getting back in 2002 when the dealership advised the car had been recalled for that condition. I shut off the car, restarted it and was able to get home. About a mile from the house the display came up with "Service Engine URGENT". Any ideas on what service I need to perform? How do I replace the twin turbo sensors?

Tags:

FLXC90
Year and Model: 04 XC90 T6
United States of America

Re: Turbo Pressure Sensor

Post by FLXC90 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:18 am

You were "able to get home", but was it driving normally? Or still hesitating. Get it scanned using VIDA/DICE not just generic scanner if not what you used. As you state, both sensors at once sounds odd. Check your charge air pipes, intercooler etc. Also, check the vacuum/boost reference hoses for leaks. How clean is your air filter?

Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module

lavist
United States of America

Post by lavist » Thu May 24, 2018 10:39 am

How do I check the vacuum/boost reference hoses? Not sure where they are. Air filter replaced at last oil change but will change it again.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Thu May 24, 2018 11:56 pm

I just worked through the turbos on my 2004 XC90 T6 which has a pretty similar set up. It has only one turbo boost sensor. If I recall correctly it is right by the air box. Check the hoses and pay particular attention to the corner of Bank 2 behind the head (driver corner of engine). On my car one of the hoses from the turbo boost sensor was routed there - hit a hard plastic T connector and branched off (effectively coupling the Bank 1 and Bank 2 turbos to the single turbo boost sensor). One of my rubber lines was completely destroyed from 14 years of service.

Best approach would be to find your turbo boost sensor and follow all the lines to their end points (if I recall there are three - but one of them branches off to the two turbos). All my lines looked fine but the one that went to the Bank 2 turbo. These lines are in an area that gets pretty hot and it is understandable they fail after 17 years of service.

You can buy Volvo lines or bring a piece to an auto store, tell them the hose purpose and acquire the amount needed. I recommend getting either the right color electrical tape or another means (I used my daughter's nail polish) to properly color code your hoses (red, blue, yellow and/or green - don't recall which three) if you replace them all. Color coding will make future service much easier.

SuperHerman
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 pm

Forgot to mention - the Volvo replacement hoses are the correct length and are color coded. Makes repair rather easy. When I checked they had a "kit" with all the hoses needed. As I needed only 4 inches - I found another solution in my parts bin.

lavist
United States of America

Post by lavist » Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 am

Thank you so much for the great and complete reply SuperHerman. I’ll check the hoses for vacuum leak and replace as necessary.

lavist
United States of America

Post by lavist » Fri May 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks FLXC90. It wasn't quite driving normally, there was still some jumpiness as the Turbo would get a surge, then go off so yes, still hesitating. I will get it scanned using VIDA/DICE as suggested. I'll start with checking the vacuum hoses for leaks since that's the easiest fix then move on to intake, intercooler and if necessary, replace the sensor itself. I appreciate all the assistance, I had no clue where to start.

SuperHerman
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Fri May 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Keep us posted. If it ends up being a hose, take some pictures before removal and after, so others can benefit from your toils.

lavist
United States of America

Post by lavist » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:29 pm

As it turns out, there is a Turbo Pressure Sensor that Advanced Auto website said fit my vehicle but it did not. Incorrect Bosch P/N is 0261230090. What it turned out to actually require is the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor, P/N 0261230029. Advanced Auto has it for 72.99 but I kept looking and found that Amazon had it for $54.00. I installed it, cleared the codes and Voilà, runs perfect!

Thanks SuperHerman and FLXC90 for all the assistance, hope this P/N info and source helps another Volvo owner.