IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Anyone have any experience owning a VW TDI?

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
amblerman
Year and Model: 1999 s70
United States of America
amblerman

Re: Anyone have any experience owning a VW TDI?

Post by amblerman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Kara503,

I used to have a 1997 Jetta TDI. not the same engine or body style as yours.

Mine was the previous body style that was more boxy than your body style. The engine I had in mine was also different that yours.
So any experiences I had wouldn't apply to yours.

I did love the car though.. It only had 90hp but it was great to drive because of the amount of torque it had. I had very few engine related problems. What killed the car was rust. Enve though I did most of the maintanence myself, I never looked under the car in the rear and didn't notive the rust developing under the read seat area. It only had 167K on it and I felt really bad that I hadn't noticed that and taken care of it. I still miss that car. I still wish I paid to have that repaired instead of just replaing it.
We replaced it with a 2006 Accord with only 40K on it. The accord is still our newest car. The accord is fine but has been less reliable than expected.

When I still had my VW jetta, I waa on a business trip with a peer of mine and we had to drop off a big shipping box. It was big enough to hold about a dozen laptops.

My peer had an SUV (Acura RDX I think) and no matter how we tried, we couldn't get it in his car due. I just said "I'll throw it in my trunk." He thought I was joking but it fit. That 1997 jetta had a huge trunk. More importantly it was a wonderfully usable shape.

Even at the end it still got high 40s/low 50s mpg without trying and when I drove carefully, it did 55 mpg with ease.

One of the reasons I like my current 1999 s70 is it's a similar car to my Jetta. Nice boxy sedan with great visibility, a 5 speed and a nice boxy trunk. the s70 is more comfortable and a bit bigger. It only gets 1/2 the mpg though.. :-(
-A