IPD sale Volvo Parts

Sounds good to me...

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
rb61
Year and Model: 2001 s80
United States of America

Sounds good to me...

Post by rb61 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:25 pm

It has been suggested that the following issues may be caused by bad connections between ground straps and body/engine.

Can someone guide me in trouble shooting this? Diagram of ground strap locations would help.

1. When starting the engine. If I turn the ignition key at normal (?) speed, the engine revs to around 3000 rpm, I hear popping sound from exhaust and after 3-4 seconds it settles down. If I hesitate for for a very brief time (1 sec) while turning the key the engine always starts normally.

2. When unlocking the drivers door with key, Siren starts on random tries.
When I consciously/remember to turn the key slowly, and/or wait a second before I pull door handle, I have never set off the siren.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Ray

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Re: Sounds good to me...

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 am

For wiring look up "Volvo wiring diagrams" and you will find what you need. Assuming wiring is not your issue here are some thoughts.

I assume you are asking about a 2001 S80 (non-turbo).

Question 1: Sounds like you have a fuel pump or fuel filter issue. Most likely fuel filter, but without being there it is hard to tell. How old is your fuel filter and has it ever been changed? If it has never been changed then it may be worth doing at $15-30 for the part as routine maintenance. There are videos on the process.

Question 2: Do you have any notification lights about your alarm system displayed either constantly or from time to time? Has the module ever been changed? The batteries in the module are known to go bad (usually after about 7-8 years), leak acid on the module board, and cause issues. This could be your problem. A proper scanner should be able to detect this.

If this is the case you can unplug the module and replace it or try to fix it. A number of write ups on this. You should be able to take out the passenger side headlight and look inside somewhere near the strut tower area and see the module. Some have been able to service the module this way rather than take off the inner wheel well liner. Some unplug the harness and live without the alarm and sunroof function. Does your sunroof work? Another indicator the module is failed/failing.

rb61
Year and Model: 2001 s80
United States of America

Re: Sounds good to me...

Post by rb61 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks for the prompt response and valuable detail.
This is my first Volvo. I am an old dude and I am only comfortably working on engines with carbs and mechanical distributors.

I purchased this 2001 S80 2.9 approximately 9 months ago with 140K and have logged somewhere around 4500 miles. I will attend to the fuel filter - thanks.

There are no error codes on display and none have shown up with non-Volvo service scans.
The sunroof seems to be operating properly.

Soon after I purchased this, there was an error code displayed that indicated the variable timing solenoid needed replacement. I did that and there have been no codes since.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Ray
wheels 1_edited-2.jpg