IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Did a transmission fluid change today - v8 s80

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the current (third) generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80.

This is a forum for owners or prospective owners of the third generation V70, second generation S80, and its siblings built on the EUCD platform.
Makingendsmeet
Year and Model: 2007 s80
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Makingendsmeet

Did a transmission fluid change today - v8 s80

Post by Makingendsmeet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Just thought I’d share since a lot of people get nervous with trans fluid changes ... I have a 2007 s80 v8 with 142,000 miles , pretty well maintained and never had the fluid changed ... did 3 drain and fills with mobile 1 3309 and added a quart of Lucas trans “fix” . There was no real reason aside from age and mileage behind me changing it , but I’m glad I did . The car shifts smoother and even sounds better . First thing I noticed was it was a little low to begin with , and was black , second drain looked much better , and third was back to a healthy red .... I’ll wait another 30-40k and do another drain and fill . Glad I did it , peace of mind for my maintanance OCD .. oh, and I don’t have VIDA , so I picked up a 20$ infrared gun and used it to check the temp while I was setting the level . Took about an hr (took time sitting and waiting for the fluid to cycle between drains) reasonably simple to do even with minimal mechanical knowledge.. just thought I’d share .. don’t believe that lifetime oil nonsense !! That’s lifetime of the warranty, not vehicle !

ndphotonl
Year and Model: S80 2.4T Wasa
Netherlands
ndphotonl

Re: Did a transmission fluid change today - v8 s80

Post by ndphotonl » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Amen to that!

Im performing a stage 0 tune at the moment, so this job will also be done somewhere this year. People tend to underestimate the importance of the gearbox oil. I did it before on other cars and noticed the same effects like you described.

[edit]
I would very much like to drive the S80 4.4 after this one, that v8 exhaust note should be something to enjoy everyday :twisted:

Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel