IPD sale Volvo Parts

Sway Bar Bushings Bad, Considering the Options

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.
1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40
Boosted40
Year and Model: 2002 S40
United States of America

Sway Bar Bushings Bad, Considering the Options

Post by Boosted40 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Hello all. Recently I've decided to take a look at my bushings on my sway bar as the links were bad, and I still have a clunk from certain stops and go's. Sure enough, they're cracked and protruding. Now herein lies the concern.

I've done some searching around, but have not gotten much of a definitive answer, as the threads I've researched were from various Volvo models.

I'd like to replace just the bushings (seeing as I just have to drop part of the sub-frame, and perhaps other pieces), and am wondering if I can get away with just that. Longevity is a priority.

Now some other posts say that the bushings are vulcanized on, on some of these cars, and I should just replace the whole sway bar, which I'd rather not do, but just a bushing replacement may not last as long. Does anyone have any experience with this?

It's a 2002 Volvo S40 1.9T.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada

Re: Sway Bar Bushings Bad, Considering the Options

Post by oragex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:32 pm

These may last 6 months or 2 years, and the job is all but easy. Not sure if there other than OEM option..

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/11323/1 ... ng-s40-v40
2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c