IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Sway Bar Bushings Bad, Considering the Options

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

Boosted40
Year and Model: 2002 S40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Boosted40

Sway Bar Bushings Bad, Considering the Options

Post by Boosted40 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Hello all. Recently I've decided to take a look at my bushings on my sway bar as the links were bad, and I still have a clunk from certain stops and go's. Sure enough, they're cracked and protruding. Now herein lies the concern.

I've done some searching around, but have not gotten much of a definitive answer, as the threads I've researched were from various Volvo models.

I'd like to replace just the bushings (seeing as I just have to drop part of the sub-frame, and perhaps other pieces), and am wondering if I can get away with just that. Longevity is a priority.

Now some other posts say that the bushings are vulcanized on, on some of these cars, and I should just replace the whole sway bar, which I'd rather not do, but just a bushing replacement may not last as long. Does anyone have any experience with this?

It's a 2002 Volvo S40 1.9T.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Sway Bar Bushings Bad, Considering the Options

Post by oragex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:32 pm

These may last 6 months or 2 years, and the job is all but easy. Not sure if there other than OEM option..

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/11323/1 ... ng-s40-v40

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c