IPD sale Volvo Parts

Random questions: Alignment specs, coolant and battery age

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
a3inverter
Year and Model: 2006 V70
United States of America

Random questions: Alignment specs, coolant and battery age

Post by a3inverter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:54 pm

All,

I'm noticing that my new to me 2006 V70 has a tendency to not want to return to center after executing a turn. No pulling to the left or right, but definitely noticing a dismal turning radius and this non-centering behavior. I've always thought this was related to caster, but not sure that's something adjustable on these cars. @135k, the struts are due for replacement and the control arms too. Steering stops are worn and set to be replaced. For the record, these are the optional 17" wheels with 235R45 Michelin Pilots. Any thoughts here?

Coolant-wise, trying to get to Stage 0 or nearly so. It tests out fine (-35 degrees F) with my tester but wondering if it's Volvo coolant. I'm familiar with the blues and pinks from the VW world of the mid to late 90's. This is neither of those colors. Maybe it's orange? (I'm colorblind so...)

Lastly, trying to figure out the age of the battery. Where should I be looking for date codes? Previous owner suggested that it's original (it's a Volvo battery), but I think the worst case scenario is that it dates back to when he picked it up as a CPO 9 years ago. I can't recall ever having a battery last much past 5 years, but this one shows 12.8 volts at rest.

Thanks!

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Random questions: Alignment specs, coolant and battery age

Post by abscate » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Welcome!

At 135k you will need new control arms 7nless it has had a cherry life rolling the Pike.

It’s generally good practice to replace all fluids on a new-to-You car. The thing you can’t measure in coolant is the corrosion inhibitor capacity, as opposed to the cooling capacity.

You can load test the battery but winter is the best test, with AAA or a battery pack as back up. If it starts the car at 10F, it’s good.

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

a3inverter
United States of America

Post by a3inverter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks Abscate! Life was mostly cherry for this V70 as it spent its weekdays being driven almost the full length of 128 during off peak hours (to avoid the traffic) by a recently retired guy (a sailor who basically did what the dealership's service dept told him to do), resting comfortably in a garage all day long.

I did verify that the rear bushing on at least the driver side control arm is cracked/showing metal so that's on the list (will be doing both).

Coolant was changed 28 months ago (when the timing belt was done) and based on the records, should be Volvo coolant, but it's not blue. I'll probably do it in the fall.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:42 pm

The original "Volvo Coolant" in Europe is green. At least my two Volvo-only serviced car have had green coolant when I bought them. There's really no such thing as "The One" when it comes to coolant. I'm guessing Volvo has a local supplier in NA that is different from the one in Europe, like with batteries and other stuff. Fresh, good for aluminium engines (around here they all are) and not a mix of different kinds. Corrosion inhibitor has a life of 3-8 years according to most specs depending on if it's a long life coolant or not. Colour really isn't standardised though.

Personally I'd leave it be until you for some reason need to drain a bit and then change it all so you know you're not mixing coolants. Or another year or two depending on what comes first. That's since you seem to have a recent record of a change so get the other fluids first. If there wasn't that then a change would be a no brainer. On the other hand, it's cheap.

And I agree with winter being the best test for batteries. The originals can last a long time so don't worry too much if it seems fine. A plan B is always good to have anyway though.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Everything was great until I read Sailor, who are the most cheap b******* known to the Universe.

Seriously, I would get the front end up and see if there is play in ball joints or tie rod ends. Probably one needs replacing, not a big deal.

I swore I had mine replaced on my 99 at about 120k but just recently figured out I had 210k miles on them and they were badly worn

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
7 Drivers

a3inverter
United States of America

Post by a3inverter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Update on the steering failure to return to center...

Searched/Read some more on this fine site and found out about the steering coupler and attendant stiffness. Just as Oragex suggested, just a single bolt and you have access to it. Found the fore/aft bearings to be fine, but the left/right were stiff. Hit it with Triflow first, followed by some plain old motor oil and that loosened it up considerably. Not 100% but probably 80%.

My next questions - does anyone have an R&R guide or video link for replacing this? I've seen here mention of it taking "a few hours" but not sure. I'd probably be OK lubing this thing up every 3 months or so, but given that the original Volvo part is about $80 doing it right seems prudent.

My last question - is the bolt that holds the lower shaft to the upper shaft a stretch bolt and/or is a new nut + locktite the standard operating procedure? I re-used the nut and torqued it on tightly for now. Anyone know the proper torque value?

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada

Post by oragex » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm

I think Prestone coolant looks orange inside the tank and very light green in a can (I know, weird). I just replaced mine, looking inside the tank there is a small black rubber float, if it looks white the system may have some sludge deposit

Most important not to be the Dex-Cool (aka Death-cool) but that one I think is really orange stuff

The Volvo coolant has a weird green-blue color (unless I'm also color blind or color confused). Only mix with distilled water.

Buy only quality parts online (don't let mechanics install cheap stuff), see forums for the recommended brands from Ipd, Fcp, Eeuroparts, Tasca, etc

Battery, depends how you are testing it. Test at least 20 min after turning the engine off, with all lights off (disconnect the trunk lights), if you get 12.6-12.7v you're in business.

Here's for the steering shaft butterfly bolt see at 37:00 plus video description www.youtube.com/watch?v=37u_oQ0Q0Gc

Don't forget to press back in place properly the large securing circlip over the dust boot at the floor.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles

a3inverter
United States of America

Post by a3inverter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks Oragex. After 22 years of German car ownership (the last 9 with a BMW e39 5 series), I fully appreciate good brands (Lemforder, Mann, Mahle, Meyle, etc.) and quality parts. I just replace the front sway bar end links with Lemforders and solved one mystery noise (the metallic clicking). Tomorrow's challenge is going to be a rotational scraping noise from the right front when turning right. Brake dust shield doesn't show any signs of rubbing, but I'm going to take the rotor off to get a closer look.

To remove and replace the lower steering link is it necessary to drop the subframe or simply "persuade" the link out of the rack and into the car?

I will ask one of my children to help me with the antifreeze colors.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:10 pm

new screws on both the upper and lower steering shafts

30 Nm on the upper
25 Nm on the lower

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
7 Drivers

a3inverter
United States of America

Post by a3inverter » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks! Going to swing by the dealer tomorrow morning.