IPD sale Volvo Parts

Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Post Reply
Dcassells
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm
Year and Model: 2004 v70
Location: ON
Canada

Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Post by Dcassells » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Looking for some help.i know almost nothing about cars so please bare with me...
Was driving my 2004 v70 turbo when I noticed the brakes lock up then all of a sudden I got a ABS failure message and then a SRS service urgent message. Then the odometer screen went blank. Pulled over and pulled the abs fuse and found it was blown. Replaced it and the brake message is gone but the airbag one is still up. Should I be worried ? Or did the fuse blowing and brakes locking up maybe trip it? Also, should i be worroed about that fuse blowing? Thanks for any help



Georgeandkira
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:24 am
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
Location: Hudson & Champlain Valleys, USA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 16 times
United States of America

Re: Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Post by Georgeandkira » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Did the brakes lock up on their own or had you applied them?
"Bad" ABS units will impact other systems. I'd assume (do not know) it blowing a fuse would impact something.
Has the new fuse been working? Was the blown one the right amperage?
If the condition which caused the ABS fuse to burn out continues you should address (fix) it.

The SRS warning needs to be cleared with the dealership's VIDA or another higher end code reader.



SuperHerman
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:28 pm
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Location: Minnesota
Been thanked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:12 pm

You need to pull up the schematics and figure out if a relay and/or shunt is shared tying the airbags and ABS together - start by looking at the CEM schematics. It is possible they share a common power line and blowing the fuse depowered the SRS (like unplugging it without disconnecting the battery). Alternatively the SRS could have triggered the fuse blowing and ABS lock up.

Still what you described is pretty scary and you need to get to the bottom of it - provide more exact details.



Dcassells
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm
Year and Model: 2004 v70
Location: ON
Canada

Re: Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Post by Dcassells » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 am

Georgeandkira wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:29 pm
Did the brakes lock up on their own or had you applied them?
"Bad" ABS units will impact other systems. I'd assume (do not know) it blowing a fuse would impact something.
Has the new fuse been working? Was the blown one the right amperage?
If the condition which caused the ABS fuse to burn out continues you should address (fix) it.

The SRS warning needs to be cleared with the dealership's VIDA or another higher end code reader.
The fuse was the right ampage. The brakes lock up when I start applying pressure to them, usually when I'm driving at higher speeds. I noticed a bit awhile back but I ended up needing 2 cylinders replaced and thought that was the problem. After they were fixed last week it got worse. I changed the fuse and it drove fine till last night and the same thing happened. I'm going to take it in today and have someone look at it.



Dcassells
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm
Year and Model: 2004 v70
Location: ON
Canada

Re: Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Post by Dcassells » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:33 am

SuperHerman wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:12 pm
You need to pull up the schematics and figure out if a relay and/or shunt is shared tying the airbags and ABS together - start by looking at the CEM schematics. It is possible they share a common power line and blowing the fuse depowered the SRS (like unplugging it without disconnecting the battery). Alternatively the SRS could have triggered the fuse blowing and ABS lock up.

Still what you described is pretty scary and you need to get to the bottom of it - provide more exact details.
I noticed the brakes locking up once in awhile for the past month but since I have no idea about vehicles I didn't know what was happening. At the same time 2 cylinders had to be replaced so I thought maybe that was the problem but once they were fixed it happened more. That day it fist happened I had been driving the whole day and it was hot, had the ac on. Was stopping at a stop light and the brakes locked up harder than before, then warning lights on the right side of the display for the airbags, brakes and a ! Came on. then all the electric parts of the car went blank, even the windows didn't work. When I got the new fuse in all the warning lights were gone except for the air bag message on the left side. The fuse I took out was cloudy and alittl e burnt looking but not broken in the middle. The car drove fine after until yesterday afternoon, again after a full day of driving, when the same thing happened except for the airbag warning on the right didn't come on this time. I was able to turn the car off and when I turned it back on the car seemed to go back to normal. I got to a gas station and bought another fuse and changed it. This time the fuse was even that burnt, alittle cloudy and that's it. The brakes locked up twice more on my way home. Always when I was braking at higher speeds like 80 km/h. When they lock up it's just for a second. I'm gonna take the car in today to be looked at



User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 13603
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Location: NYC
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 194 times
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Post by abscate » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:06 am

Im guessing a wiring fault in the ABS motor is turning it on, then blowing the fuse, which takes out a lot of electronics.

You need a wiring diagram and electrical acumen to go further than this in the diagnostic process


1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

Dcassells
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm
Year and Model: 2004 v70
Location: ON
Canada

Re: Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Post by Dcassells » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 am

abscate wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:06 am
Im guessing a wiring fault in the ABS motor is turning it on, then blowing the fuse, which takes out a lot of electronics.

You need a wiring diagram and electrical acumen to go further than this in the diagnostic process
Thanks. I took it in to the local mechanic and he said the codes show either the transmission is screwed or faulty electrical. He won't be able to go through the electrical till next week he says. Hopefully he will get to the bottom of it.



Dcassells
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm
Year and Model: 2004 v70
Location: ON
Canada

Re: Brakes locked up, ABS warning light, blown fuse, srs airbag light

Post by Dcassells » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:35 am

I should've mentioned how all warning lights now are also gone and only an engine light shows..



Post Reply

Return to “Volvo V70 & XC-70 2001-2007
S60 2001-2009”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests