IPD sale Volvo Parts

Rear bulbs (LED) ?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Mr. Detail
Year and Model: 2002 V70 N/A
United States of America

Rear bulbs (LED) ?

Post by Mr. Detail » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am

Just went over to the auto parts store to pick up a couple of #1156 brake light bulbs and noticed they had some LED style bulbs for the same P/N. Very expensive but i am curious if anyone has tried these in their older Volvo's without any error messages or lighting up the dash.
They draw more current than the standard #1156's.

difflock54
Year and Model: V40 Nordic 2002
New Zealand

Re: Rear bulbs (LED) ?

Post by difflock54 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:17 pm

LED's should draw a lot less current than a normal filament automotive bulb???
Thats what makes them so economic plus their long lifespan.

Mr. Detail
United States of America

Post by Mr. Detail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 am

but what about the increased brightness? The LED's supposedly are much brighter than the standard filament.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America

Post by Georgeandkira » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:47 am

OK Mr. Pennsylvania, the honeymoon's over. Do a search on LED bulbs.

Recently I suggested that known, branded LEDs which work should be charted by us. Matthew himself (the man behind the curtain) mentioned extending a masterfully done bulb cross reference someone posted in the 850 forum with such LED data.

LED growing pains have included companies offering LED lamps which run very hot. Nascent companies with no QC have sold countless "white box" junk to unsuspecting consumers. Low draw and unmatched (left-to-right) lamps can cause "bulb out" messages.

The industry is only just catching up. LED lamps are simply a game I needn't play. They're creeping in already. I "love" how Volvo added a strip of them to my '07's taillights. All the LED stop & tail lights out there are no longer a novelty. The LED "eyeliners" on cars have, in my opinion, become passe'. Haven't you seen patches of LED lighting which has burned out or otherwise has become inoperative?

We're racing towards electric cars with out drivers, one piece molded tire-wheels and shared rides. I recommend simplifying one's automotive life. LED retrofits are of limited value.

Wow man, look how bright my license plate lights are!

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:50 am

Mr. Detail wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 am
but what about the increased brightness? The LED's supposedly are much brighter than the standard filament.
They are much much brighter given the same wattage. The wattage specified on led bulbs is often not anywhere near the real wattage unfortunately so it's hard to compare.

For the bulbs that are monitored you'll need to roughly match the original wattage. The reverse lights and number plate lights are not monitored though so there you can use anything.

The only replacement of any real value in my opinion is sticking the brightest possible bulb in the reverse light so it actually illuminates the area behind the car. The other bulbs last for years anyway.

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America

Post by 93SCMax » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:15 am

In 2015 I installed the license plate LED bulb kit from IDP. Frankly, I was underwhelmed. For $10, I thought it was worth trying.
My experience would say to stick with regular, high quality traditional bulbs. They really don't seem to burn out that often or cause issues with dash warning lights (error messages).

Mr. Detail
United States of America

Post by Mr. Detail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:05 pm

OK Mr. Pennsylvania, the honeymoon's over. Do a search on LED bulbs.
Really? I thought that folks on this forum like to interact with other Volvo owners. I am sorry.
I won't post for a month.

Kara503
Year and Model: 1996 850 Plat R-Swap
United States of America

Post by Kara503 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:59 pm

My 2 cents-

I have tried LEDs in various forms in many of my cars. Auto store bulbs are a ripoff. Amazon bulbs are a crapshoot but the deal is too good to ignore. LEDs will cause CANbus erros and cause your car to think lights are burned out. Bottom line- I only use LEDs in my reverse lights. Anywhere else the 'bulb out' error is too irritating. Reverse lights help you see where you are going MUCH better when they are ultra bright LEDs. There are a few sellers on Amazon that sell super bright white LEDs with a lens on the front of them that are crazy good as reverse lights.

I can completely understand wanting brighter brake lights in order to be more visible, but I personally can't deal with a light or error message every time I hit the brakes.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 am

From the optics guy. When you bought a 100 Watt light bulb for all those years, you were buying 5 Watts of light and 95 watts of heat. When you buy a 5Watt LED, you buy 5 Watts of light and 5 Watts of heat.

You should call the LED company and ask for your free heat they are holding back.

Mr D - we do poke fun at each other here on occasion, please don't take it seriously - we will miss you if you stay away...
1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 am

abscate wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 am
From the optics guy. When you bought a 100 Watt light bulb for all those years, you were buying 5 Watts of light and 95 watts of heat. When you buy a 5Watt LED, you buy 5 Watts of light and 5 Watts of heat.

You should call the LED company and ask for your free heat they are holding back.

Mr D - we do poke fun at each other here on occasion, please don't take it seriously - we will miss you if you stay away...
If it's free depends on who's paying the electricity I guess :-)

Here in the snowy North led rear lights actually have a very distinct disadvantage. They don't melt snow so the rear lights stop being visible. Regular bulbs get hot enough to stay reasonably clear of slow.