IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Engine "dragging" at closed throttle

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

Broodoobob
Year and Model: 2000 S40 Sedan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Broodoobob

Engine "dragging" at closed throttle

Post by Broodoobob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Hello, 6-month 2000 S40 1.9T owner here. The car has been leaking some oil from the back of the engine somewhere I can't see since I got it. I assumed that it is the turbocharger but didn't address it because it was a small amount of oil. Today is a hot day (90F). I got on the freeway and when I got up to speed and let off the gas I noticed that after a moment, the car would suddenly start slowing down much more quickly than air drag would cause (it felt like a Prius's regenerative braking). If I kept my foot on the pedal it felt like I had to push it down further to maintain speed.

I pulled over and listened to the engine and it sounded normal. I checked the coolant and oil. The coolant was at a normal level, but the oil was close to the low mark. I checked the oil yesterday and it was half a quart higher. I noticed that a lot more oil was leaking and creating some smoke on the tailpipe. At this point I assumed that the turbo was probably seized and leaking so I added some oil and went home.

Now I've been reading up on symptoms of a failed turbo and it seems like it should be making some noise, but it doesn't seem to be. I still can't figure out where the oil is coming from because it's covering all of that area. My main concern is the dragging issue, but I don't know if there's a connection with the leak worsening. I'm very confused, any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Broodoobob
United States of America
Broodoobob

Re: Engine "dragging" at closed throttle

Post by Broodoobob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:36 pm

I was able to access the turbo and found out a couple things:
  • The turbo is not seized, and turns very nicely with almost no wobble.
  • There's no oil coming off of the turbo itself, but there was a small amount of oil inside the boost pipe
I still don't know where the oil is coming from, but I think it could be one of the turbo oil supply lines. Still no idea where the performance issue is coming from.

Broodoobob
United States of America
Broodoobob

Post by Broodoobob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:39 pm

Seems like the oil is coming from that turbo oil line. I'm guessing I just need to replace that red gasket.

I suspect that the turbo is a red herring on the dragging issue. There's no codes set but I'll check my ignition and compression in the morning to be sure.

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T
United States of America
alschnertz

Post by alschnertz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:26 am

I think i'd check for excessive crankcase pressure before tackling the o-ring replacement.

Search "glove test".

'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Orange o rings are the problem ones, green will replace it.

If I get "dragging" right then I'd watch tach and see that it is in 4th and not third gear. I think you mean it slows aggressivley, as in lot more engine braking when you release throttle.

Broodoobob
United States of America
Broodoobob

Post by Broodoobob » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 am

Thanks guys. I did the glove test and it sucked the glove right in and wedged itself under the camshaft. Oops... Fortunately after turning over the engine one starter blip at a time I was able to pull it out in one piece. Regarding the gear, I did a road test today to see if it was staying in 3rd gear and it was definitely in 4th. In position 3 the RPMs were much higher.

I did a compression test today and compression was a bit low across the board, with the cylinders reading 137, 133, 142, and 130 when hot and dry. When I added some WD40 to the cylinders they read 170, 182, 170 and 138. Seems like cylinder 4 has a valve issue, but I'm not sure if that's new or the cause of the issue.

I picked up the parts for replacing the red o-ring today. I'm going to tackle it tomorrow but it's going to be a pretty miserable job. It looks like the turbo has to be unbolted and raised to access the torx bolts that hold on the pipe underneath which means draining the coolant. It seems like it was designed to increase labor...

Broodoobob
United States of America
Broodoobob

Post by Broodoobob » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 am

And yeah, the dragging feels a lot like engine braking, but the RPMs are low. I did try running it in neutral to confirm that it's an engine issue.

alschnertz
United States of America
alschnertz

Post by alschnertz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm

So it did "freewheel" when you popped it into neutral?

Though your compression numbers are a little low, at least they're within acceptable tolerances of each other.
Are you sure about that #4 cyl.? Could your gauge have leaked?
I'm thinking that bad rings (indicated by your compression readings) would pressurize the crankcase, yet your glove test showed vacuum in the crankcase (which is normal).

Also, you would think that if you had bad compression, there would be less compression braking - not more.

This is a good puzzle.

'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE

Broodoobob
United States of America
Broodoobob

Post by Broodoobob » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Good points, yeah. It did indeed properly freewheel in neutral. I double-checked my numbers on number 4 on a cold engine and they were consistent with the previous numbers so I believe they are correct. I replaced my oil seal yesterday which was a massive PITA but the oil leak is gone so that is nice. The main issue still remains though and I really have no idea what is causing it.

I've also noticed that my fuel economy has gone down from 27mpg to 21mpg.

alschnertz
United States of America
alschnertz

Post by alschnertz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Broodoobob wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm
I double-checked my numbers on number 4 on a cold engine and they were consistent with the previous numbers so I believe they are correct.
And those numbers were meh, ok. Since you didn't replicate the warm readings, I don't think I'd blame bad rings on cyl. 4 yet.

Drawing straws here so I'm thinking of going to Stage 0...
Have you checked the fuel pressure?
What did the spark plugs look like?
Inspect the coils with a magnifying glass.
Are the spark plug wires good?
Have the MAF, TB and IAC been cleaned?
Air filter is ok?
Codes?

How about if you switch the ignition off on deceleration. Does it feel the same as the "dragging"?

Just trying to isolate what the heck is going on.

'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE