Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

Cooling system pressurized

Everything on the Volvo S80. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6

Re: Cooling system pressurized

Post by June »

thienle wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 am If that the case then I might have a blown head gasket. The top of the pistons are not uniformly dirty. Some area is cleaner than others. I took a few photos of the top of the piston but don't know how to attached to the post. Any instruction on how to replace the head gasket or a diagram of the "explore view" of the engine is greatly appreciate.
Before tearing into that engine, I suggest performing a combustion gas test to verify that is the problem. It is easy to do and you can borrow the tool, just have to buy the liquid. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

thienle
Year and Model: S80 2001 nonturbo

Post by thienle »

I rented the chemical test kit from Autozone and performed several tests from the overflow tank. All tests came back negative with no indication of a blown head gasket (assuming that I done correctly). I also checked inside the oil cap, it too, appeared to be normal. I've replaced the thermostat. I just found out that there is a small leaks at the upper radiator hose to the engine on the radiator end. I removed the upper radiator hose on the radiator end and found out the connector from the radiator was damaged. The rubber coated on the connector on the radiator was brittle and falling apart causing a bad seal. Found a cheap new radiator on ebay but it only compatible to the "2917CC" but not to "2922CC 178Cu" engines. I wasn't aware that 2.9L Volvo has two type of engines? Please advise how can I find out what type of engine is in my vehicle so I can purchase the correct radiator. Below are the two engines listed on the ebay. Thank you very much.

2.9L 2917CC I6 Gas DOHC Naturally Aspirated
2.9L 2922CC 178Cu In. I6 Gas DOHC Naturally Aspirated

Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Volvo ... 0935.m2460

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

The engine will be listed on the sticker that is on the hood or in the engine compartment maybe radiator support. It will tell you which engine you have. You can also use your vin and go to tascaparts.com and enter the information and click until you find the radiator and the applicable part number. This is the best approach.

I feel bad I didn't mention trying a pressure test as that would have found your issue pretty quickly.