IPD sale Volvo Parts

Pesky connector pins

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
ljjones
Year and Model: 1999 S70 AWD
United States of America

Pesky connector pins

Post by ljjones » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:49 pm

OK, what's the secret to releasing the pins from the connector housing that mates with the cable from the Throttle Control Module (throttle body) on my 1999 S70AWD. I need to replace some wires chewed through by a squirrel. He gnawed so close to the connector body there's not enough wire left to splice. I've got to get the pin out of the connector on the harness side to attach a new wire. Do I need a special tool, or can I stick a paperclip into a secret hole to release the pin?

ljjones
United States of America

Re: Pesky connector pins

Post by ljjones » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:31 pm

Reply to my own post: I guess the correct name for that throttle body thingy is ETM (not TCM) -- but you know what I mean...

The connector in question is a 6-pin affair attached to the main harness and sub-frame just in front of and below the stater motor/bendix.

The connector body is gray but there is a white insert/surround around the pins. Is this white piece some kind of secondary lock that must be removed before pins can be released? Stop me before I break something... :?

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Each different style connector under there can have somewhat different methods to release the terminal from the connector. Some are released from the front, others from the back. This one has a delicate secondary locking mechanism. That one uses retaining tangs that are part of the plastic connector, or the tangs could be part of the metal terminal. It can get maddening sometimes figuring out how to release some of them while trying not to damage something that you need to save. Tell your SO to hide the sledge hammer.

My best advice is to inspect it under a light with a magnifying glass. Sometimes you can see down in and determine where-how to push-press-spread-chop-smash-burn (generally in that order)

ljjones
United States of America

Post by ljjones » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for the tips, mrbrian200. Yes, I've figured out most of the connector types over the years, but this one has me stumped. There is a little room for a pick on one side of each contact but I can't feel a tang in there. Maybe my pick is just not quite thick enough to get adequate compression.

The different colored plastic surrounding the contacts worries me. That usually indicates a secondary barrier to pin release. It is not obvious if it can be removed though.

Has anybody discovered the procedure for this specific connector? There have been so many S70 ETMs replaced over the years, surely somebody has had to repair/replace a connector pin...

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:29 am

The grey part is most definitely a secondary retention mechanism. You wont get the terminals to release out the back without figuring out how to remove that first. It's going to pull straight out, but be careful as it may have its own plastic tang (that could be delicate and easily broken) that locks it into the black plastic connector.

ljjones
United States of America

Post by ljjones » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks mrbrian200. I assume you refer to the light gray (whiteish) part being the secondary retention. It is definitely a separate piece of plastic from the dark gray connector body. I wonder if the "T" shaped section is a clue to releasing it. I'll try a pick around that area.

If all else fails, maybe a note to XeMODeX is in order. I see their watermark on your picture. Maybe someone there was curious enough to disassemble the connector after taking that photo. :)

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Pesky connector pins sealed

Post by abscate » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:42 am

Don’t worry about breaking plastic retention clips. Put a big zip tie around it when done,to keep it connected and sealed up.

The one nirvana trick I’ve learned with Volvo electrical disconnects is to push the connector tighter while trying to operate the release clip, then pull apart. It does seem like Imalways running out of hands though.
1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

ljjones
United States of America

Post by ljjones » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:12 pm

OK guys, here's the trick: The white plastic secondary insert is retained by two internal tangs and one external tab. Fold a paperclip wire into a "U" shape and insert the ends into the holes at the base of each white "T" shape. This releases both internal tangs. Pry the white external tab up with a small flat blade screwdriver inserted through the side hole beneath the housing release tab. The whole white plastic insert will move upward and take the paperclip "U" with it. With the white insert removed the individual pin tangs can be depressed with a pick. The pin pulls out the back of the housing.

I guess I'll never forget that one now. :)